What's new
What's new

Creation software

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Moving here from the CNC thread.
New printer on the way.....new to 3d.
Found Truespace.....what else is out there that works without a major learning curve?
Just need something simple, not doing exotic stuff.

Solidworks often has a deal on their Maker version of the software. Just be aware that it's been designed to have near zero compatibility with their commercial version. You can't work on a file at work and then bring it home to the Maker version or vice versa.

Well....my buddy got me a copy of truespace ,I had no idea it was killed in 2009 :eek:
Not learning that........
Checking with my cad/cam vendor to see what my options are.

I have been doing my designs in solidworks, save as step file and drag right into the bambu slicer. I want to get a more "art" type program eventually for more organic shapes for 3d prints and fun stuff.

Whatever you are familiar with is the best.

Fusion360 if you are an autodesk person. If you are a solidworks person who doesn't want to pay the ridiculous money, I use Alibre Design Pro and like it.
What he said word for word. If it's really simple you could try freecad. It works surprisingly well for being free.

I use Onshape. It is free for casual use and it is very robust. I'd suggest using a full-on program and not a limited "easy" package. You will outgrow the simple one and will be frustrated by its limitations. Any of the major CAD packages will have tons of Youtube videos tutoring on a the various aspects of the software. If you search there are a few comparative videos concerning CAD choices. If you can find someone to serve as a mentor to help you out when you run into the inevitable brick wall, it is very helpful. I have one for Onshape and once a week/month I email him when I just don't get it. Worth his weight in gold.

Denis

Viacad pro or rhino.
I use Rhino, great program but I found it very difficult to learn, second to Blender. I spent several hours a day for a few weeks going through tutorials to get a hang of it before I even attempted to model something I would machine granted the parts I was needing to design were very complex.

The first program I learned was Catia (solids modeling) which I found was very intuitive. I have also played around with Solid Works which I also found intuitive and easy to learn. I now use Alibre which being very similar to Catia and Solid Works required almost no learning curve for me and I was drawing things to machine from the get go.

Others may have the opposite experience. As rbent said "Whatever you are familiar with is best."

That being said Solid Works and Rhino are pretty different tools that accel at different jobs.

Last edited:
Update: I use Dolphin CAD/CAm which has worked just fine for my business...
It already has the needed components for 3d printing.
So unless I get into weird, sculptured stuff I'm good.

Back