What's new
What's new

Cross feed screw/Taper attachment Question

Bassbum2

Aluminum
I have replaced the cross feed screw on my heavy 10 and when I turn the handle back and forth the sleeve in the taper attachment moves a fair amount when the taper attachment clamp is loose but move less when clamped. is this movement normal or does something need to be adjusted or replaced?

Also, the new nut hits the carriage casting when I wind it in to the rear of the machine, is it normal to have to gind the nut down to clear the casting?

Russell

Check Steve Wells exploded views. I was pulling my hair out and found I was missing some parts on the cross feed shaft Ted, latheman had the parts I needed. Mine is now smooth as silk now..

John

All the parts are there, I was very careful when I took it apart and checked with the drawings to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Russell

Russell,
Check the gib adjustment on the two taper attachment dovetails. The sleeve is connected to the binding post with a tapered pin and the binding post is in a close fitting hole on the upper slide of the taper attachment. Excess play in the dovetail will allow the sleeve to move.
BakoRoy

Thanks jayhawkman and BakoRoy, I used the milling machine to make the nut fit properly and the gibs were very lose, I adjusted them so it would slide very hard then backed them off until they moved smooth, now the sleeve does not move that I can tell.

Russell

Is everything ok with it now Russell? These new screws/nuts are very tight fitting, they are a 4G between nut and screw, it's not uncommon to have to tweak the nut profile clearence abit. let me know if there is anything I can do.

Steve Wells

Is everything ok with it now Russell? These new screws/nuts are very tight fitting, they are a 4G between nut and screw, it's not uncommon to have to tweak the nut profile clearence abit. let me know if there is anything I can do.

Steve Wells

Thanks Steve for the parts and fast shipping.

Everything is fine now that I machined the bottom of the nut to fit and adjusted the gibs on the taper attachment. There is about .010 backlash according to the dial, before it was a litlle over half a turn of the dial. When I get a chance I will put a dial indicator on it to see exactly how much backlash it has.

Russell

Back