What's new
What's new

Cross slide way cover

Torquin

Aluminum
Does anyone have any ideas as to why people remove the cross slide way cover on Monarchs and do not put it back on? I have purchased three different Monarchs, from three different places in the last seven years, a 12CK, a Series 60, 14", and a 10EE, and not a single one has had the way cover on the cross slide.
I have made my own, but I just wonder if there is a logical reason these lathes have that part removed and do not put it back on. I can understand removing it for cleaning, but why wouldn't a good machinist put it back on, you know, taking care of the equipment?

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• 20220822_17393933.jpg
    20220822_17393933.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 45
My CVA with the TTA doesn't have one. the holes are for spring loaded discs that hold a cover over the screw all the way to the taper. 10ee might be different but the CVA is pretty much a direct copy.

Dave

Does anyone have any ideas as to why people remove the cross slide way cover on Monarchs and do not put it back on? I have purchased three different Monarchs, from three different places in the last seven years, a 12CK, a Series 60, 14", and a 10EE, and not a single one has had the way cover on the cross slide.
I have made my own, but I just wonder if there is a logical reason these lathes have that part removed and do not put it back on. I can understand removing it for cleaning, but why wouldn't a good machinist put it back on, you know, taking care of the equipment?

Thanks,
Chris
No logical reason. It is frustrating.

Yes, a good machinist would put it back on. Maybe not too many of those around. There is your reason.

Thanks,
Chris

In the image you're missing both the cross slide cover (EE-3404) as well as both taper attachment covers.

You see there, rke[pler, I didn't even know that there are taper attachment covers, as none of my three have had them. Are there any pics of the taper attachment covers available? I'll have to see about making them also.

Thanks,
Chris

You see there, rke[pler, I didn't even know that there are taper attachment covers, as none of my three have had them. Are there any pics of the taper attachment covers available? I'll have to see about making them also.

Thanks,
Chris

Here's one from a Monarch brochure:

10ee_taper_cover.jpg
10ee_taper_cover.jpg

Last edited:
No logical reason. It is frustrating.

Yes, a good machinist would put it back on. Maybe not too many of those around. There is your reason.
Almost. Real issue I've found is those who shuck important pieces, didn't buy what they were attached to, equally unaware value of replacement.

Well, I had a go at making them myself, and most of it turned out very nice. I tried the cookie sheet mod for my taper cover on my 10ee, but the new cookie sheet I bought is too thin and it is quite flimsy on the lathe. I need to make my own with at least 18 gage. The taper covers for the 14" turned out very nice.
Thank to you all for the advice and pics.

20220923_16273333.jpg20220924_07091833.jpg20220924_07111033.jpg20221007_15073033.jpg20221007_15083133.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

AMEN
"So better leave them off to be able to clean it easier" (over twenty years on the same CW16) Old T shirt flings off in an instant - pitched when well used for a clean one (I never made big enough or hot enough chips to set them afire :D )

Back