What's new
What's new

Cultivating the future of machining

PracticalMan

Super Moderator
Staff member
By Keith Jennings

Click Here for a free subscription to Cutting Tool Engineering magazine.

As I’ve said many times before: Time flies when you’re busy, and it sure has this year. One area keeping me busy is finding skilled workers.

In the recent past, I’ve had several opportunities to meet and communicate with younger job candidates. One was a high school career fair where I spoke with teenagers and other young people seeking career guidance and recommendations. I also responded to an email from a 19-year-old machinist who wanted career advice, including what habits and skills owners and managers are looking for in young, inexperienced employees. I appreciated the interest and the articulate, logical questions from decent kids trying to position themselves for a successful career. While pondering my answers, I realized how many young people need to hear this information and how important it is to give them good, practical advice.

Most shops struggle with a lack of qualified workers, as well as employees’ personal issues. That makes it imperative to cultivate workers for the future, because the future is closer than we think. Summarized here are the skills I consider important when evaluating and hiring young employees. Perhaps you can add to the list.

First, show up to work on time and with minimal personal drama. Many employees have talent, but can be so distracted by personal matters that it hurts their job performance and their chances for advancement. Most of this is immaturity or an unwillingness to put the smartphone away. Employees who demonstrate that their lives aren’t ruled by social media have an advantage.

Second, accept guidance and follow instructions with a good attitude and write things down. These qualities will be noticed and positively reinforced. Lots of employees appear to be listening and understanding, but won’t jot notes and “forget” too frequently. In addition, always sign and date your notes and documents. This may sound simplistic, but doing so demonstrates a willingness to learn and follow through.

Third, have a sense of urgency and take care of responsibilities in a proactive manner. Handle tasks sooner rather than later, regardless of what you perceive to be a distant deadline. Many workers push something to the side because it’s not urgent, then end up in a fire drill later. The most valuable employees are those who demonstrate urgency and proactive work habits.

Fourth, be organized and keep your work area clean—show some care and pride in your workspace. Many people think this doesn’t matter. It does.

Lastly, career advancement depends largely on one’s ability to understand and implement advanced technologies. The relatively few people who become proficient—essentially becoming advanced application and software programming “gurus”—will have bright futures.

Advanced technologies include multiple-axis machines, high-performance cutting tools, 3D modeling software (CAD drawings) and flexible automation. These technologies can be intimidating, and some employees may not want to learn them. However, as technology advances, learning these techniques will ensure job security. Mastering just one of these areas can be a career in itself, and rarely can one person become an expert in all of them. So, choose one and turn yourself into a valuable asset.

For shop owners and managers, buying the latest machine tool is the easy part. If you don’t have employees who understand how to utilize all the fancy features, the machine is worthless. Finding this caliber of employee is difficult, because there aren’t many. Employees with these skills are machinists/artists who can take an unshaped piece of material and turn it into a valuable product. And isn’t that what our industry is all about?

Thanks for your attention throughout 2014 and Happy Holidays to you! CTE

About the Author: Keith Jennings is president of Crow Corp., Tomball, Texas, a family-owned company focusing on machining, metal fabrication and metal stamping. Contact him at [email protected].

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Click Here for a free subscription to Cutting Tool Engineering magazine.

*This article is reprinted with permission from CUTTING TOOL ENGINEERING Magazine, and is protected under U.S. and international copyright laws. CUTTING TOOL ENGINEERING Magazine is protected under U.S. and international copyright laws. Before reproducing anything from this Web site, call the Copyright Clearance Center Inc. at (978) 750-8400.

One thing I have noticed with some of the younger new hires we get from tech. schools. Many of them think because they were able to make a nameplate on a Dynapath that when they get hired into a machine shop their first step will be onto a 5 - axis Hermle.......and when that doesnt happen they get disappointed. I have seen guys quit because they dont want to do their "time" on a Fadal or a boring old lathe. Most of them eventually will get their opportunity......but there is no way you boot a 20 year guy from a machine he runs perfectly to satisfy the whims of a newbie. I am not sure if this is an issue with the people we get.....or is it the way manufacturing is being "sold" to the younger generation.

Your situation is so different to the way I learnt my trade .I was apprenticed at 18 ,a position which i only got after I was first interviewed,then my parents were intervened and my school records were gone over to make sure I was studious applicant. Once i was offered the apprenticeship I had to work for six months under a tradesman (a qualified,timeserved engineer) who taught me how to use all manner of hand tools with the emphasis being on making various other tools and all the time learning how make things without using machinery. At the end of this 6 months I had to make a 100x100 mm x 5 mm steel plate with a hole drilled in it and pin turned to fit the hole, then a 25 x25 mm square piece had to cut with a hacksaw on one corner.
This had to polished by hand had to fit the specifications of the drawing perfectly. At the same time I had to attend classes at a technical college where we were taught mathematics, drawing and engineering theory.
This took three years and the hours required to complete the apprenticeship covered 4 years . During this time I was taught all aspects of my trade while being tested every 6 months at both school and practical stages.
During these years I was "indentured" and my employer held onto the document until the day I completed my time. These indentures meant that If I intended to leave my place of employment,i would both lose the documents and be expected to pay a fee to the employer. It also meant I couldn't be sacked unless I was really stupid.
A lot of fellow apprentices left early for one reason or another ,mostly because of the pay,which in those days equaled $35 a week....

I have worked in places recently with apprentices who to my mind were not worthy of the position or the title. Illiteracy doesn't seem to a barrier these days ,nor do psychological problems. :rolleyes5: In fact I left one place recently after being ordered around by a 4th year apprentice who had no idea of how to operate the mill.... after 4 years!. As an Apprentice,I knew my knowledge or skills were nothing compared with the people I worked alongside and I knew that I had to learn like a sponge , and it wasn't unusual to be intimidated working under tradesmen who could rapidly turn or machine very large jobs to millionths as second nature , but these days the new guys know it all.
I am only guessing but I think it has it's roots in the "everyone gets a prize" attitude adopted by educators these days. Sure ,people at 19 can draw up an object on the monitor then down load the info to a workcenter and call it machining but that isn't a skilled trade.

Back