What's new
What's new

Cutter advice wanted

Mark Soderquist

Plastic
I posted on here a few weeks ago asking for advice on how to do a home hobby custom operation on revolver cylinders. I got some very good advice on getting custom keyseat cutters made to my specs by a tool grinding company.

I used two companies and had three custom keyseat cutters made. One in carbide for $185 shipped and two in HSS $220 shipped. I practiced on some aluminum stock to work out the geometry. Then, today I tried the operation on a real steel revolver cylinder. The HSS wouldn't touch it but the carbide ate through it like aluminum!:) The second part of the operation requires an end mill and I have some end mills in HSS and they won't touch it.

I have heard steel can be hardened with a torch and quenching. Is there any chance I can harden my cutters with this technique? My guess is they will need to be sharpened after heat treating which is beyond my cave man machining skills. Should I buy carbide cutters then or what is your adviceIMG_0449.jpgIMG_0451.jpg?

The HSS cutters will basically be as hard as usable when you get them (unless the manufacturer sucks). Even if they could be made harder, it's well beyond what you can achieve with a torch; if anything they will come out softer.

Back