What's new
What's new

Cutting Oil

Buy a quart or a gallon of Ridgid or Harvey dark cutting oil. Sounds like a quart will last you a long time. Sold at home depot in the plumbing section. Around $15 a quart and $26 a gallon.
Zoro has a good price for the gallon.
Wd40 or kerosene for aluminum.
Bill D
I agree Harvy Dark cutting oil works very well and reasonably priced. We buy it by the case at Home depo. Hopefully our wonderful goverment won't outlaw it anytime soon.Seems everytime I turn around there outlawing a product I like.

Surprised no one has brought it up, but sulphurized oils form metallic sulphides (super lubricants) under the heat and pressure of metal cutting. Same with chlorinated fluids which form metallic chlorides, again, super lubricants. Never use a chlorinated fluid or oil on aluminum. The formation of aluminum chloride is exothermic, and a runaway condition can develop. My 2 cents.

Bob

Surprised no one has brought it up, but sulphurized oils form metallic sulphides (super lubricants) under the heat and pressure of metal cutting. Same with chlorinated fluids which form metallic chlorides, again, super lubricants. Never use a chlorinated fluid or oil on aluminum. The formation of aluminum chloride is exothermic, and a runaway condition can develop. My 2 cents.

Bob

In the past cutting oils were advertised as sulfur based. Now no one mentions it. Either they took the sulfur out, or decided it didn't look good. Same w chlorides.

I use Rustlick WS-5050 on aluminum all the time, and it works well. No runaway exothermic reactions observed. Rustlick claims that WS-5050 is good for aluminum et al, even though it contained chlorinated paraffin (by that name) in 2007, now reduced to "chlorinated EP additives" (whatever that is).

https://www.itwprobrands.com/product/ws-5050

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned punching holes yet. I imagine that cutting oil wont help much here since the punching action takes place inside the metal being punched so no oil can get in? Just need some lube oil to keep the punch from sticking in the hole. Or is this faulty thinking?

Back