What's new
What's new

Dalton B4 Lot 5 lathe followed me home

RCPDesigns

Hot Rolled
I was buying some other tools and couldn't help myself. I'll get around to restoring this one day. Right now it has to live in garage until I have space in the shop.
Has taper attachment, 3-jaw chuck and threading dial but no motor, change gears or covers.
36" bed, 7.25" swing
Lot 5 no. 50

uhDjP8u.jpg

Tjs1yRC.jpg

SR1Af5s.jpg

QxRyYnC.jpg

ZWmaF7C.jpg

I'll get around to restoring this one day. Right now it has to live in garage until I have space in the shop
That will give you some time to come up with change gears ;~)

BTW - The cut out in the bed, under the spindle sheaves, indicates that it might have been a treadle powered lathe at one time. Or at least there was a treadle version available.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple smaller Daltons, no idea what lot #. They were beautiful machines, "japanned" black, with brass and polished steel parts. Thought about buying one, but had enough small lathes at the time.

I've never seen one with a taper attachment before.

I doubt that was ever a treadle lathe. More probably it was driven with a motor mounted underneath the missing bench top.

That will give you some time to come up with change gears ;~)

BTW - The cut out in the bed, under the spindle sheaves, indicates that it might have been a treadle powered lathe at one time. Or at least there was a treadle version available.
Yes, Dalton did have the option of "pedals" though I'm not sure if this lathe was powered that way or not. There are a couple of those in the Dalton Lathes Google.io group.
@MrStretch I think that was also an option. They had some pretty cool cast iron bases complete with drawers.

Wow, Jeff, I think you are the only person I know who's 'average machine age' is older than mine...

Any idea on the age of that Dalton? It's pretty cool, anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished...

-Bear

1921 is the year they started making "Lot 5". It is a cool little machine and I'm very curious to see how well it will work. There's a lot of capability in a nice small package. I've purchased a few more machines so I probably will not have room for the Dalton but I'll restore it to "new" and have it ready for the next guy. I'll need to get motor, countershaft setup (I think a South Bend 9 would work) and change gears. That would make a nice complete package. I'll probably build a base for it as well as I love wood working.

Back