What's new
What's new

Dean Smith Grace Lathe Owners

Good quality new bearings may be even better. For non precision applications, I like the ABEC 3 motor bearings that SKF, Natchi, NTN, etc make. SKF explorer or natchi Quest are examples. I tend to use the slightly higher precision and standard clearance rather than ABEC 1 and C3. Price difference is small. Watch out when buying bearings as CN and C3 are often interchanged. Not usually a big deal but I like to get what I specify. Dave
Any idea where to buy bearings above standard Precision. In Ireland UK and EU no supplier will sell to Private individuals

Can’t speak for EU, but in the last year as a non business, I’ve bought bearings from Motion, McMaster Carr, Bearing and Transmission. Beauty of the web- I can research what I need amd only use for salesman is to give me a price and arrival time. These were not spindle bearings, but wouldn’t anticipate any difficulty there. Just make sure to know exactly what you want.

Does anyone know what this oval pin is for on the carriage feed rod input? (from a type 17)
I'm replacing the drive pin and am curious what this is. It has been ground smooth on the inside bore.

IMG_20220606_075308.png

Although the brass bushing is probably not original, it doesn't go in deep enough to make contact with the key. There is a step in the bore and the bushing is driven as far as that step.

I’ve just bought a 13-1 x42” Dsg . I am collecting it tomorrow. Fingers crossed everything works ! I will post pics when I get it home
If anybody needs a manual I have a pdf copy

I may have just made a horrible mistake we’ll see. DSG 17T 17”x48” for a fair price. Looks to have the relieving attachment don’t know much else. We’ll see how it goes! It is a plain bearing machine.
53C330CB-CEB0-4828-9C35-472DD67907AC.jpeg

Last edited:
I may have just made a horrible mistake we’ll see. DSG 17T 17”x48” for a fair price. Looks to have the relieving attachment don’t know much else. We’ll see how it goes! It is a plain bearing machine.
View attachment 369929
I bought 13 42 recently for £1500. My biggest problem has been the threading dial was missing which I didn’t notice because it had those stupid retractable lead screw covers fitted 😒 On the plus side DSG are very good for spares if rather pricey for some pieces

E9A1E49A-332F-424C-AC02-51D0F71D3B09.jpeg
31949A2D-C6B8-4BEB-8A08-6F74AE7C4732.jpeg
D588699D-99B1-4DFA-936B-87CD60043C16.jpeg
595E2778-85DD-4AF8-9AF6-B428844B32DE.jpeg
1D934926-912E-41DE-B45A-92DDB1A8B3A8.jpeg

Here are a few more shots. Looks like I scored a steady rest and follow rest plus a few chucks. Can anybody confirm whether that is a fast lock or cam lock chuck sitting there?

Got the machine shipped to a local yard and will be picking it up as soon as I have time. I suppose there were not many of these that made it to the states? More to follow!

New to DSG =)

Went out to see a DSG 13-1 13x42

It was being retired after the operator retired and they upgraded to a CNC.

Always loved DSG's and was hoping to get any input from the more knowledgeable.

I'm a bit concerned with some dodgy welding and also the condition of one of the ways. Looks like it has quite a couple nicks and scratches.

Ive seen it in action and always told them how I loved that lathe so they called me first when they decided to retire it. I've attached some photos =)

Looking to see what you guys think.

Cheers,
Mark

p.s.
anyone know what the circled parts are for? or where i could get more info on the machine?
Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.42.44.jpegScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.42.35.jpegScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.39.25.jpegScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.40.16.jpegScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.36.09.jpegScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.35.25.jpegScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.36.32.jpegScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.37.57.jpegScreenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.40.52.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.41.47.jpeg
    Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.41.47.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to the club Idle. I think you are burning to get this machine. It does look like it was well used but hard to tell from the pics if it was abused or well cared for.
It was a running machine that you seem to know well and the important part is how accurately it will cut your parts. The post near the headstock is for a swing away chuck cover, perhaps it is still in the shop somewhere near the lathe? I would not be too worried about the brazed way cover extension.
Good luck with your new machine and post up some pics when you get it all tidied and ready for work.

It doesn't look too bad.

Yes, wear on the ways, it's an old machine, par for the course.

The broken & brazed way cover is no big deal. Mine is missing the way covers (and the gap piece).

It's a camlock machine, bonus there.

I've seen a lot worse.

PDW

View attachment 370808
View attachment 370809
View attachment 370810
View attachment 370811
View attachment 370812

Here are a few more shots. Looks like I scored a steady rest and follow rest plus a few chucks. Can anybody confirm whether that is a fast lock or cam lock chuck sitting there?

Got the machine shipped to a local yard and will be picking it up as soon as I have time. I suppose there were not many of these that made it to the states? More to follow!
Is this the one that came from down in Georgia? I was about to get it. :-)

Welcome to the club Idle. I think you are burning to get this machine. It does look like it was well used but hard to tell from the pics if it was abused or well cared for.
It was a running machine that you seem to know well and the important part is how accurately it will cut your parts. The post near the headstock is for a swing away chuck cover, perhaps it is still in the shop somewhere near the lathe? I would not be too worried about the brazed way cover extension.
Good luck with your new machine and post up some pics when you get it all tidied and ready for work.
Thanks Moore :)

They weren't able to find the swing away chuck cover unfortunately.

Will post back pics once I get it set up

It doesn't look too bad.

Yes, wear on the ways, it's an old machine, par for the course.

The broken & brazed way cover is no big deal. Mine is missing the way covers (and the gap piece).

It's a camlock machine, bonus there.

I've seen a lot worse.

PDW

Phew :willy_nilly: I was worried I got a green lemon. Never even noticed it was a camlock machine. Thanks for pointing that out.

My mind is at ease with the brazed covers now at least :cheers:

Thanks guys,

Mark

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum as I didn't know it existed until a few days ago but have since read most of the pages. Actually bought my DSG 17 x 36 some years ago. Have never owned or even run a (metal) lathe before his but thought I'd start with the best!
Came with lots of goodies - three jaw chuck, 16 and 10 inch 4 jaw chucks, collet chuck with a full set of collets from 5/16" to 2", two 16 inch faceplates, a 24 inch faceplate, taper attachement, 2 fixed and one travelling steady and some other stuff. I somewhat pulled it apart at the time, cleaned it and repainted it. All was working except the lights to show power on, motor on etc and I didn't worry too much about them. I think its a mid 50's model as it has the big motor on the outside.

Recently when I turned it on there was a second or two delay with not pleasant noises before the motor would start to turn. I eventually figured out it was probably the contactors (that's what brought me to this forum) and was pondering how to fix this. Luckily copious spraying with contact cleaner seems to have worked and the electrics are all good again. Phew.

However reading this forum made me go look again at some of the other bits I got with it. I then realised I have most of the power drill attachement with only a bolt missing that clamps down (photo attached). If someone could sned me a photo of the original I would like to fabricate a knew one. Thanks in advance. There are a couple of other items I'm not sure about but I will post them separately.

Attachments

• IMG_0770-medium.jpg
    IMG_0770-medium.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 10
And this is one of the items that has me puzzled. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0771-medium.jpg
    IMG_0771-medium.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0772-medium.jpg
    IMG_0772-medium.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 9
And then I have this chuck. What is it good for?

Attachments

• IMG_0773-medium.jpg
    IMG_0773-medium.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0774-medium.jpg
    IMG_0774-medium.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 9
And I guess I'll throw this in as well. The machine came with a transformer which puts out 32 volts through this socket. Any idea what you would need this for on a lathe?

Attachments

• IMG_0776-medium.jpg
    IMG_0776-medium.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 5

Back