What's new
What's new

deckel 40 to 4mt adaptor

sultanabran

Aluminum
does anyone know what the extractor tool looks like to extract a 4mt shank from a 40st. Part number 2245 000120 in my Deckel accessories catalogue. Needless to say I am having trouble seperating above.

Not sure what the extractor looks like, but it brings up something that I would like to mention....

For those with MT4 machines (or adapters), be very careful about inserting *cool or cold* tooling into a *warm* spindle.
The MT4's (which are cinched in via drawbar), can expand enough to make it quite difficult to remove them... sometimes even requiring the application of heat (ie propane). This is even more pronounced if the tool was not lubed, or if you leave that "stuck" tool in the spindle for weeks before trying to get it out.

Rule of thumb is... a thin coating of lube, not too cold, and don't go nuts on the drawbar.

Sean

sultanabran,
I hate to say it, but if your tool is stuck in the adapter (I'm assuming out of the machine), you will probably have to tap it out with some combination of wood, a hammer, a propane torch, penetrating oil, patience, and time.
My experience with gettting these stuck is that you don't want to beat the hell out of it and are better off using (what seems like 2 million) small taps, but it is usually about the time you are ready to toss it in the trash that it pops out with your final decent whack. Mind your threads.

Sean

Good advise. One of the first machine tools I ever bought was a Kempsmith horizontal mill. Even sans rust, it's Brown & Sharp arbor was so stuck in the spindle taper that vigorous CRC and "sledge hammer" application did nothing to free it. I eventually sold it to a farmer who later told me he had to dissamble the whole spindle and put it in a 150 ton press to free it !
eek.gif

I tried the heat method without much success but didn't want to apply too much force, as the tool in it is a wohlhaupter 4mt boring head. I might just leave it and look for a second adapter
Cheers

It may be of help to know that a very similar shell carries the collets in the headstock of my Wieler Matador lathe and either a clever previous owner or perhaps the manufacturers themselves drilled the rim of the sleeve axially and fitted two grub screws 180 degrees apart.

Careful sequential tightening with an Allen key effects an easy release everytime. It might be a solution to try drilling and tapping the sleeve rim before going in for the huge force approach.

Even if the rim is too hard to drill, I would have thought two very thin specially constructed wedges applied in opposition and two small hammers used gently and together would be enough axial force to pop the sleeve.

Best of luck.

Back