What's new
What's new

Deckel collets on Ebay

Jackson Sowell

Aluminum
As many of you may know, there are two groups of collets for sale on Ebay. Can anyone positively identify what collets these are? Are they for the grinder or for the FP1? Hate to start a bidding war, but if these are for the mill, some one of us should get them.
TIA,
Jack

They are for the grinder, but they will also fit the older high speed head.
I have the head that these fit, but also a newer 40 taper HS head.
They will NOT fit the standard Deckel vertical head.

The seller is not making this too clear.

Cheers!
Sean

I better explain that a bit better....

There are TWO sizes of Deckel collets. The smaller will fit the Deckel grinders *and* the older high speed head. The newer high speed head will use the smaller collets via adapter.
The larger collets *will* fit the Deckel mill heads via the adapter made for this purpose.

The thread OD on the smaller collets is about 16mm, whereas the collets with the 20mm thread OD will fit the standard heads with a thru-adapter made by Deckel.

Make sense?
Sean

Sean I think your post is a bit confusing- the Deckel drawbars are threaded for the 20mm OD thread (maybe not the older HS heads). Deckel grinders also use the 20mm threaded collet- which sounds like the larger collet size in your post. These collets (grinder) can be used in Deckel 40 taper spindles with an adapter. 16mm threaded collets couldn't be used because of the drawbar thread difference (?).

Collet Options:
16mm threaded collet- Older HS Heads (?)
20mm threaded collet- Grinder, Mill heads with adapter
Morse taper collets with 20mm thread- Older FP1 H-spindles
40 taper collets with 20mm thread- Mill heads with 40 taper

Hmmm.. This may require a bit more investigation.
My 16mm collets fit my older high speed head, and my 40 taper adapter for my later high speed head also takes the 16mm collet.
I haven't actually tried the drawbar on the high speed head to check if it is for the 16mm since I just assumed that it was because of the smaller adapter.

Now... on the grinder... perhaps you are correct, but I could have sworn I've seen the 16mm collets with some Deckel grinders... could there be different model here somehow?

In any case, I think everyone agrees that the 20mm collets will work with the Standard vertical heads if the correct adapter is used for that head.

I'll keep a closer eye on this regarding the grinder though.

Sean

Back