What's new
What's new

Deckel FP1

How much did the Fehlmann Picomax 51 sell for ? (just curious) Also, why does the 51DC model have what appears to be a CNC control and yet I don't see any servo motors on the X/Y table ? Is this control only for programming Z axis movements ?

the fehlman went for 14000euro with a lot of tooling
The controls are from Elesta and a bit like a Heidenhain positip,just a calculator but the movement are to be made by hand The big advantige of this machine is the quick toolchance system,which makes it a lot faster then a hauser 3ba for example

Very interesting about the control. Re Elesta, what is the history behind that company ? I have a Schaublin 135 lathe and 13 mill, and both machines came with Elesta DRO's that are identical to current Heidenhain DRO's.

Re Fehlmann price, sounds low compared to some Swiss dealers. I believe one of them was asking over 22,000 Euros for Picomax 50 but with older DRO.

Re Fehlmann and tool change..yes, wonderful system. Also the most perfect moving quill of any manual machine tool on Earth. Picture of my Picomax 50 below.

fehlmann10.jpg

Re your FP1, here in the USA, very few appreciate the value of the later manual Deckels vs the older machines and are therefore unwilling to pay a premium for them. I had a 1990 FP4MK for sale for over 2 years for less than they sell for in Europe, but the only customer for it turned out to be in Mexico where it now resides.

17,500 Euro for an FP1 is probably causing heart palpitations amongst many readers of the forum. :eek:

My 1988 FP1...

deckel50.jpg

All my machines are interesting... and for sale ;)

Well, ok, the Fehlmann Picomax and the Schaublin 135 aren't for sale unless someone throws so much money at me I can't help myself !

peterve, for the record, we welcome (free) ads on Practical Machinist, especially on rare European machines like you have...if nothing else to look at the pretty pictures.

But if that is all you post here, we are not so welcoming.

I notice all your postings so far are 'for sale' ads and you ignored my question about Elesta, which doesn't bode well. There needs to be some give and take...you post ads, but you also should post helpful information or ask questions that lead to helpful information.

The vast majority of used machinery dealers in the USA are "sales robots" who couldn't care less about discussing matters on a forum such as this. I was hoping some of you European dealers were different in that regard.

Yeah, my heart is palpitating. The late model ones are like unicorns here. I notice Don's chip pan has some sort of weights to help hold it down and in place. My earlier model FP1 does not have those and the chip pan is constantly falling forward. Did you add those? Are they magnets or steel bricks or something else?

-Alan

Are they magnets or steel bricks or something else?
Haven't paid much attention to them but seriously doubt magnets due to metal chips stick potential. Probably just steel blocks for extra weight, and probably standard issue by 1988 as the paint is all original and I know previous owners would not have bothered to paint something that mundane.

peterve, one of the other members here pointed out to me in an email that you have posted in the General forum in the past with helpful information, so I apologize for the comments.

I presume by your lack of Elesta comments you simply know nothing about their history or relationship to Heidenhain.

d.thomas
Because you insist
i know elesta is used on some schaublin CNC mills on Hauser Jig grinders and they had dro interchangeble with heidenhain Thats all. I do not know where they origin Having a Elesta makes me no expert

d.thomas
Because you insist
i know elesta is used on some schaublin CNC mills on Hauser Jig grinders and they had dro interchangeble with heidenhain Thats all. I do not know where they origin Having a Elesta makes me no expert

I do not know where they origin Having a Elesta makes me no expert
Well aware of that, but presumed being in Europe you would have a much better chance of knowing about these than someone in the USA.

Elesta DRO's are *very* rare here, but the later ones are indentical to Heidenhain models so I'm mystified why they don't just call them Heidenhain and drop the 'Elesta' pretense.

Had some emails asking about the Activ readout. Here's a closeup of the TNC 113 inch/metric DRO with programmable axis travel. More like an electronic trip dog really, but accurate to +-.0005"

X,Y, Z amber lights near Y ram, light up to indictate direction of axis programmed. If you engage the power feed lever opposite of program by mistake, axis doesn't move/DRO errors and you start over...hence the lights to help you "remember" which direction to push feed lever.

I presume peterve's has the exact same system.

heidenhain8.jpg

"If you engage the power feed lever opposite of program by mistake, axis doesn't move/DRO errors and you start over"

Well mine moves a 1mm or so before it stops
I cannot check exactly how much because at the moment the 2 Deckels are put available for a skillscontest vakkanjers during the biggest technical exhibition technishow in The Netherlands

Furthermore i read somewhere on this site these machines are made new again Well for as far my information goes those are completly rebuild machines
DMG did not want to put some "new" FP1 available for the contest mentioned just now

Back