What's new
What's new

Deckel FP3–should I buy from Germany?

Any interest in an Aciera F5? I could part with one including wide table, drop table, vertical table, slotting head, and 3-phase 240V-575V transformer panel for the right price. (It is a Canadian machine sold with 575-V motors and electrics.)

I have those Deckel FP3s on a regular base So keep checking my website
In fact I have one but it needs some serious attention
The active like I offered is no dealbraker IMHO You can get a refurbished active DRO for about €600 with return of the old one Any modern Heidenhein DRO wil fit also Not with the active feature in most cases though
Another electronic component is the drive for the DC feedmotor A new one is like €600,-
Order a spare one with the machine and you would be safe All of it runs fine on 60 Hz Perhaps use a bit of a higher voltage to compensate for the 60Hz
I can make some measurements like soundlevel endplay runout and whatever you want me to measure (Within reason)
Also I make good deals in shipping I hear
And I do the actual crating for free if you buy me a machine
May I ask what kind of work you want to do with it

Peter

Last edited:
I have a very nice and tight gray 1979 I might let go. I am in the US in Ohio and have shipped machines in the past. Still has a few things I need to do to it but shoot me a PM if you are interested and we can talk over the phone.

Thank you again, Peter. I'll be sure to keep checking your website. Also, good to hear that you welcome questions about the condition of the machine. You've touched on most of my concerns with runout, squareness, and sound. I'm a pretty reasonable guy and easy to work with and won't try to take advantage of your help. Also, good to hear you do the packing/crating.

Most of my work is one off prototypes using aluminum, stainless, and occasional cold rolled and plastics. Size of projects range quite a bit. Deckels came to mind as a good solution for me as they provide the accuracy for small parts, and with different heads/tables they allow for work on much larger parts as well.

FPS, Singer, Harich

I have been to the first two, I know nothing about the third.
I am not aware of any other reputable rebuilders, certainly not with any real Deckel throughput.
But there are lots of others that do 'rebuild'.
I purchased an FP1 from FPS, fantastic company to work with, totally first rate, and they know these machines as most of their employees are ex-Deckel. Despite them not having a USA presence, it was very easy dealing with them, and they handled all the shipping related challenges on their side of the pond including doing a great jobs of crating up the machine.

rklopp--thanks for the offer, but I'm going to pass on Aciera. I know they're great machines, but one of my interests in Deckel is the large following and relative (albeit expensive) availability of parts and accessories.

The nicest feature about the DC motor powerfeed is that you can adjust the feedrate while you are in the cut

The active function is nice if you take time to learn how it works

Peter

Reactions: bsg
Admittedly my bias against active stems from a lack of understanding and reading other opinions, which possibly are also due to lack of understanding. Given the responses here perhaps I should reconsider. I'll have to read up on it to see if it's a feature I could actually grow to use. Thanks.

The big big advantage of Deckel is 2fold
Spares are available and will stay so at a considerably time And at reasonable prices
Accessories were sold in a big scale so are easy to find in the used market

Peter

Admittedly my bias against active stems from a lack of understanding and reading other opinions, which possibly are also due to lack of understanding. Given the responses here perhaps I should reconsider. I'll have to read up on it to see if it's a feature I could actually grow to use. Thanks.
My FP1 has Aktiv Digital. It is a cool feature, basically poor mans 1-axis conversational CNC. That being said, I never use it, just use the DROs and nudge things on spot manually, just seems easier to take this approach than punch in the numbers into the Aktiv Digital. I guess if I used it more often I might be inclined to keep using it more.

I have had and run both “active”and simple full manual FP3’s.
Current FP3 is early single motor version.
Believe your fear of the active setup is pretty much unfounded.
As Peter writes as worst case the DRO replacement is pretty painless and even barring replacement at worst case you get a simple manual.
Finding a reliable “goon condition machine that you can trust trumps all.

Having the DC feed motor is a real plus. Dynamically adjustable feed and fewer gears (less noise and heat) are just better.
Don ‘t favor the active feature all that much,a bit clumsy to use compared to a D 4 FP4NC. But then so is everything!
Point is the active really has only one real drawback, and that is the later machines usually command higher prices.
Have had successful transactions with Peter he is a trusted source.

Cheers Ross

Last edited:
Hi to all, please allow for a bit of thread hijacking, yet on the same topic that might help CJBricks or others (myself included).

I've never even seen a squarehead Deckel, though I'd love to have one. I love the DC feed drive on my HLVH and I am sure it would be great on a Deckel.

Yet, I do love the rapid lever on the single-motor Deckels and would like to investigate how one handles the same operation on the square-heads. Elaborating:
Rapid lever on the old models has this lovely sweet spot between regular feed and rapid where you either slow down to creep speeds or you halt the slide completely. I use it all the time to position my tool, rapiding towards the work and letting go a couple of mm before touching (kind of a game, haven't crashed anything, yet).

So, can this be done on the squareheads? I understand there is a rapid push-button so it's on-off. Can one creep to position with intermittent pushing of the rapid button? Or do you stop safely far from your work and then play with the variable-feed knob to creep to position?

Thanks,
Thanos

CJBricks

Did you ever look into a Deckel FP4MK
I have one right now which lead a easy live at a Britisch telecom research lab
And considereing the price new at a steel
Only thing I still have to do is figuring out the Vogel lube pump

Peter​

Having the DC feed motor is a real plus. Dynamically adjustable feed and fewer gears (less noise and heat) are just better.
Don ‘t favor the active feature all that much,a bit clumsy to use compared to a D 4 FP4NC. But then so is everything!
Point is the active really has only one real drawback, and that is the later machines usually command higher prices.
Have had successful transactions with Peter he is a trusted source.

Cheers Ross

All good thoughts--thank you. This is prob a rudimentary question, but do only Active machines have DC feed motor? My understanding is that later models all had it, not just Active. If that's true, how can you tell by looking at the machine...square head?...or do you have power it and see that the feeds run w/out main motor running?

CJBricks

Did you ever look into a Deckel FP4MK​

I have one right now which lead a easy live at a Britisch telecom research lab​

And considereing the price new at a steel​

Only thing I still have to do is figuring out the Vogel lube pump​

Peter​

Peter, thanks for the offer, but I really wanted the horizontal quill feed, which the FP4's sadly didn't have.

Back