What's new
What's new

Deckel FP3NC inspection / setup

alcro1998

Cast Iron
I found a FP3NC to buy about 6 months ago but the timing was not right. Well the machine is still around and the price is in range where I’m not bothered taking a risk on it.

Supposedly the machine was in use before the owner passed away.

I was looking for some advice on mechanical and electrical inspection of the machine. I recall reading about possible bad vertical way wear and know nothing about cnc controls 😁

The machine has been sitting for years so all the parameters are most likely gone. Where can I get these parameters? Also, will the control run off a rotary phase converter or do I need real 3 phase?

Lastly, I am thinking of maybe trying to retrofit a new control on the machine if I can’t get the old one sorted. I am quite inexperienced when it comes to NC mills as 99% of the experience is with manual machines.

Ultimately it comes down to my love for Deckels and the price being right. I am just looking for a cnc to use for small jobs and hobby work really.

Any ideas are always appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

(Pics to come after I pick it up tomorrow)

Yes, the machine very likely can be run on a RPC or PhasePerfect. I did both for years with my FP2NC. If it has a Dialog control, there are no parameters to input. They are stored on ePROMS. As long as those haven't taken a cosmic ray hit, you should be fine. Forget retrofit, especially given your level of experience. You will be able to see the vertical way wear (galling) if it exists, on the inside face of the left Z box way. My machine had the disease but it ran fine anyway.

I’m
Yes, the machine very likely can be run on a RPC or PhasePerfect. I did both for years with my FP2NC. If it has a Dialog control, there are no parameters to input. They are stored on ePROMS. As long as those haven't taken a cosmic ray hit, you should be fine. Forget retrofit, especially given your level of experience. You will be able to see the vertical way wear (galling) if it exists, on the inside face of the left Z box way. My machine had the disease but it ran fine anyway.
Just got back to the shop. It does have some galling unfortunately but does not seem excessive. The rest of the machine looks good but looks can be deceiving.

Taking a quick look at the control it looks to be clean. I’ll have to get it unloaded and fired up.

I don’t have much cnc experience but I have friends with cnc and retrofit experience so we’ll see what I have to do.

Luckily everything seems to be there and luckily the pendant was still in the building but was separated from the machine.

Thanks

i

I don’t have much cnc experience but I have friends with cnc and retrofit experience so we’ll see what I have to do.

Luckily everything seems to be there and luckily the pendant was still in the building but was separated from the machine.

Thanks
Can’t really tell about the way gauling as the area of worst effect is always covered be the vertical slide is all the way up or down.
The problem can be nullified, have done so on your machines big brother (FP4NC). Do a search if you want more info.
Doing a retrofit here is not like converting a Bridgeport knee mill, this is a world different, lots more complex.
Don’t short change the original control till you give it a full chance.
At the outset replace all three batteries, they are likely dead, and the control will not work without good batteries.

Would be nice if you could give some details: What control / model is fitted, what version FP3NC…….(camelback or flip head) picture please.

Good luck and welcome. Lots of info and help here.

Cheers Ross

Can’t really tell about the way gauling as the area of worst effect is always covered be the vertical slide is all the way up or down.
The problem can be nullified, have done so on your machines big brother (FP4NC). Do a search if you want more info.
Doing a retrofit here is not like converting a Bridgeport knee mill, this is a world different, lots more complex.
Don’t short change the original control till you give it a full chance.
At the outset replace all three batteries, they are likely dead, and the control will not work without good batteries.

Would be nice if you could give some details: What control / model is fitted, what version FP3NC…….(camelback or flip head) picture please.

Good luck and welcome. Lots of info and help here.

Cheers Ross
It’s a 3M control machine. Camelback machine. I meant to mention that in the original post.

Its still on the trailer since it'll be a paint getting it off myself and have been busy.

I'll post some more pics when its unloaded and plugged in.

Back