What's new
What's new

Deckel FP5NC - Maintenance

DomenM

Plastic
Hello,

I am working on Deckel FP5NC (Dialog 4) and I noticed the machine is leaving a mark when doing a circle/arc. The mark is on both sides of the circle along the X-plane. I tried entering the circle on Y-plane but the mark is still there.

The mark is about >0.01mm in size.

I'm assuming a gap developed on the ball screw nut. Does anybody know if there is a way to test this?
For now, I'm leaving aside the control, linear encoder, motors, etc. But this could be the reason too?

My CRT monitor is having a hard time staying awake. When the machine is powered up in the morning it works for ~2h then it shuts down for a few minutes and powers up again, the loop continues randomly. I noticed this was connected to heat but removing the cover didn't fix the problem.
So, a few posts suggested buying an external monitor or retrofitting the CRT with TFT or LCD. Before buying anything is there a way to test if the CRT is really the problem or is the problem somewhere else?

External monitor:
post: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...og-4-monitor-vertical-deflection-dead-358994/
There is a BNC connector at the bottom of the Dialog4? I can't found it. The only connectors I have are RS-232 and an audio jack 5.3mm (maybe 5.34mm). Does anyone have more information about this?

Best regards
Domen

I checked the NSV board, it's not original but it is from FPS. It's a few years old (I think from 2015). There isn't any BNC connector either (will attach a photo). There is a big connector inside a control (will attach a photo), wondering what is it for?
There is something else inside the CRT monitor but I don't know what function it has (will attach a photo for it too). A wire that is broken on top of the monitor (photo: below the high voltage sign).

Best regards
Domen

IMG_3782.jpgIMG_3784.jpgIMG_3781.jpg

Look on the bottom of the operator console- on the Dialog4 FP4NC there is a BNC connector there for connecting an outboard monitor. Also look on the NRP53 board for a small (approx 4mm diameter) threaded video output connector at the top of the board, right in the middle- can be seen without removing the board.

The NCR53 is the controller board for the CRT, check to see if you are missing any connections to it.

The "big" silver M23 connector in the console is likely for a table mounted Heidenhain encoder as typically encountered in Deckels of that era. Most, if not all machines then were pre-wired for various accessories like the indexing and rotary tables which have encoders built in.

Regarding your dwell marks, would suggest cleaning the tachometers on the servo motors and tuning the servos.
There's a good chance that could cause what you are seeing. It's also good preventative maintenance, relatively easy to do and an inexpensive first troubleshooting step that needs to be done anyhow. If you still have marks after that, then look at the more expensive/difficult to check, potential issues like ballscrews, nuts, thrust bearings.

Thank you for the information!

I didn't found the BNC connector but I did find the small video connector on the NRP53 board. Did look for the type of connector on google but didn't find anything like it.
On the NCR53 board, there is a cable missing at K12.

Will look into the tachometers and tuning.
IMG_3792.jpg

If you are going to keep this machine might i suggest that you stop screwing about with the CRT and its related boards.
Number of sources out there that can provide a TFT or LCD display.......
IMO replacing the CRT is the best single action you can do to extend the life of the original control electronics.....
Lowers the inside temp of the control enclosure enough to make a difference.

Cheers Ross

Definitely a keeper as she is one of the main workhorse.

Thank you! Just wanted to gather some more information if the heat was the real problem and how to test it and if something else needs replacing too before buying.

Best regards
Domen

Back