What's new
What's new

Deckel Tablesaw

AlfaGTA

Diamond
So i am in the process of upgrading the crane in mt home shop.
The shop is built with a 4x14 Gluelam that runs across the shop at the height of the perimeter walls (9')
Ceiling is clear story to mimic the outside roof line...At any rate to stabilize the main beam from rotating when the load is at right angles to the beam axis , i have
built trusses that attach to the crane center mount and reach to one of the perimeter walls of the shop, where the trusses will be attached....

To give better support to the forces from the trusses (vertical shear) i am going to mount two 4' sections of 2x10 LDL along the intersection of the vertical inside wall and the angled ceiling ...

Long story short i want to cut an angle (Chamfer) on one edge of the LDL beam to match the ceiling angle This will allow me to seat the beams higher up on the wall.
The beams will be screwed into the top plate and studs. The trusses are to be through bolted to plates that carry the end of the truss.....

(Sorry no pictures , as i am in process with all this)

OK so now for the real story.....Tried to cut the angle using the shop band saw...New blade good machine is good repair.....Just could not get a straight cut even with using a rigid fence to run the material along......Very disappointing!

Well i will admit to not being a wood worker...Can't weld the stuff so what is the point....Anyhow limited wood butchering equipment that i have access to....
Here was my solution:

I do own a Mikita motorized miter box...Has a nice carbide tipped blade about 10" in diameter....
So i made a little stub arbor (10 minutes work) to mount the saw blade using a 1" collet ....
Setup on the horizontal spindle, and clamped the wood in position.....Fitted some hard position stops so the position could be repeated.

Angled the table as needed taking the angle off the sliding "T" bevel that i used to copy the ceiling angle.....
Did a pretty nice job all considered...Had to move the wood to cut the full length, but it repeated pretty well off the stops.......

Worst part was the mess....Longer to clean up everything that do the cuts on two parts.....

full

full

full

full

Cheers Ross

Last edited:
I haven't done wood, but use similar methods to saw thin brass sheet accurately. I don't have a shear, and the band saw bends the sheet edge even if it can be cut. I use the Acier F5 horizontal spindle.

Not sure I’d want to clean saw dust out of so much very nice metalworking gack. Would have used a 12” blade capable tablesaw, or better yet, borrowed some time on a sliding panel saw like my friend’s Altendorf. It is a German brother of your Deckels ;-)

L7

on second thought, if you can cut from both sides accurately enough a deeper cut track saw like one of the Festools would work. Don’t think my standard Makita tracksaw would have enough depth of cut at you the angle you’re cutting.

on second thought, if you can cut from both sides accurately enough a deeper cut track saw like one of the Festools would work. Don’t think my standard Makita tracksaw would have enough depth of cut at you the angle you’re cutting.
I've done this before with a festool tracksaw. Worked great and made zero mess.

That being said I applaud the op for figuring out a creative way to do it with the tools he had!

Nice solution! I've done something similar a few years ago:

Back