What's new
What's new

Deckel vs Schaublin vs Aciera

houdina

Plastic
I have started looking for a well tooled Deckel style mill and I was wondering the pros and cons of Deckel FP1s, Schaublin 13s and Aciera F3s. They would all fit in my work space so its a matter of what I can find and then how easy is it to find tooling, parts and what is the easy of use of the different mills. Any thoughts on the subject would help.
Thank You
Gregg

Hi Gregg,

You might be surprised that I give you some advice, since I don't personnaly own any DECKEL, ACIERA or SCHAUBLIN mill (at that time!).
Anyway, I have come to know several tips about theses machines by looking for one for myself, and I hope I'll be able to help you to make up you mind for one of these little marvels...

I would suggest you to buy a DECKEL FP-1 if you can. This machine has everything the home shop machinist may desire... Small size, rugged construction, standard spindle noses, gear boxes for feed rates and spindle speeds, a huge range of accessories, and unmatched versatility... What could you ask more ? (affordable prices!)

The SCHAUBLIN 13 is very interesting too, and quite similar in its construction/size/capacities to the FP-1.
It has an outstanding feature with its infinitely variable spindle speeds, but genuine optional equipment will probably be harder to find. I don't know about spindle nose, but it's probably a SCHAUBLIN type (collets-ready). If so, spindle tooling will be harder to find than for the FP-1 too.
The y-axis handwheel is curiously located on the top of the ram, that's an arrangement that may be difficult to get a deal with.
I know that some SCHAUBLIN milling heads lack the sliding quill found on DECKELS (a feature that you *WANT* to have once you used it). That sliding quill question apart, I think DECKEL FP-1 and SCHAUBLIN 13 are quite equivalent, with a slight advantage for the first one due to its spindle tapers (choose a 40 taper spindles if given the choice!).

Notice that handles, levers and dials are located on the right side of the mill on the DECKEL, and on the left one on the SCHAUBLIN. So that may be a factor of choice for left or right handed machinists, or depending on where you plan to put the mill in your shop (is there a door opening on the right or left side of the place of choice ?! (he! he!)...

The ACIERA F3 is very cute too, but I would not put it in the same category as the two others. I think it was designed for smaller work and it has less table-to-spindle height. The overall construction appears to be less massive than on the FP-1 (If you can use such a word for the baby-DECKEL). That doesn't mean that you won't be able to do small jobs on an FP-1 or SCHAUBLIN 13, but there will be some limitations if you plan to machine bigger parts on an F-3...
I don't know about the standard milling head's spindle nose, but I guess it's the same as the one found on the high speed milling head. If so, it's a SCHAUBLIN type spindle nose that will accepts collets directly. But if you want to use a boring head, a drill chuck or small facing cutters, you'll probably have to turn your own spindle tooling (Don't expect to find it at the corner shop).
The F-3 lacks power feed on the x axis and to end up, I think it's main downside is its spindle driving system. When it comes to change speeds, multiple stages pulleys are *REALLY SOOO ANNOYING* that you don't want to change speeds (and I know what I'm talking about)....

I hope these few infos will help.

Excellent post T. In the USA, which one to buy is almost a moot point, as the Aciera F3 is much more rare to find than the Deckel's and the Schaublin is nearly non exsistant.

I have a both a schaublin 13 and an fp1. One point I would make, is that the accessories for the Schaublin are a lot lighter. eg I can easily lift the dividing head for the schaublin onto the table, whereas the deckel one is a different story. (I am in my late 50's). Probably more importantly is that I find that the schaublin is lacking in travel compared to the deckel and to me the best machine would be the fp2 one of which I recently aquired. Ultimately one will have to go, and I suspect it will be the schaublin. The other great advantage for deckel imho is that their accessories are so interchangeable between mills, grinders etc ie collets, t nuts
(Melbourne Australia)

SCHAUBLIN 13, DECKEL FP-1 and FP-2
eek.gif
Wow !
What about your lathes (He! he!
biggrin.gif
) ?

Suprisingly, in Australia, secondhand Deckels, Schaublins and Acieras do come up on the market and the prices seem to be quite a lot cheaper than in the USA. (Pity the overseas freight is so dear
smile.gif
The govt deptartments must have been choc a block with them at one time.
Cheers from downunder

Back