What's new
What's new

Deep Well Pump for increased coolant pressure and improved chip clearing?

My well pump might run 15 minutes a day, probably less, 45 seconds at a time

I would not think your average well pump is rated for continuous operation

15 minutes per day? 45 seconds at a time? Water well pumps often run hours at a time (irrigation). Won't hurt a thing if they are cooled properly. Constantly turning on & off (i.e. a water-logged pressure tank) will ruin a pump pretty quickly.

15 minutes per day? 45 seconds at a time? Water well pumps often run hours at a time (irrigation). Won't hurt a thing if they are cooled properly. Constantly turning on & off (i.e. a water-logged pressure tank) will ruin a pump pretty quickly.

Irrigation pump is no doubt continuous rates, no idea if well pumps are. Coolant pumps would be

Yes, they are. In my neighborhood, 90% of homes run sprinkler systems daily for hours. Systems are sized to ensure that the pumps do NOT cycle on and off frequently.

I was thinking of putting a T behind the pump and feed one of the lines directly back into the sump trough a valve of some kind. That way I can control output pressure of the coolant and not have the pump working under full load all the time. I'll also probably install a sediment filter with a 10 micron cartridge on the output, so that I'm not recutting any chips that make it trough the pump.

Something along the lines of this cobbled up monstrosity that we needed for a gundrilling job? Red output hose is 500 psi rated . Smaller galvanized pipe with ball valve to regulate pressure to 275 psi drill manufacturer recommended. Pressure gage was mounted at the base of the gundrill.
DSCF1042.jpg

My 3 hp Grundfos well pump states not to exceed 6 cycles an hour, other than that there are no other limitations. As others have said get a multi stage coolant pump, well pumps are not designed to replace coolant pumps. If you are set on doing it then yes a well pump could work if you keep in submerged in moving coolant so it cools the motor, which in turn will heat up the coolant significantly. My last used mill came with a 6 stage 1hp Grundfos coolant pump, 35 gpm @ 170 psi, not a typo. It is strong enough that it will blow 1/4" loc-line apart with 3/16" nozzles. Without nozzles and no more than 6" of loc-line it will hold together but moves around when the pump is cycled. The pump was wired to spin backwards from the seller, which didn't slow it down much.

Back