What's new
What's new

Devlieg Flash Change Chuck

gregfortin

Aluminum
I’m trying to find an adaptor mage by Devlieg that allows a NMTB 40 Flash Change tool to be used in a NMTB spindle. Looks like this.
Made by Devlieg. FC40-H402. Anyone out there might have such a thing? Thanks.

Attachments

• 38DDA920-E372-4A3F-8478-FD737E9429AF.png
    38DDA920-E372-4A3F-8478-FD737E9429AF.png
    10.9 MB · Views: 30
Are you sure you need that adapter? I am using a Devlieg flash change tool holder directly in an NMTB40 spindle. Obviously it isn’t flash change then, but it is compatible with the spindle directly.

I wanted to avoid all the drawbar use and just use the flash change cam lever. Has anyone ever seen one or used one of these chucks? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I have SEVERAL. You're wanting a fifty taper NMTB male end, to a 40 taper flash change? I've been using one on a Cincinnati 50 taper vertical mill, to quickly change toolholders so I don't have to climb up to grab the drawbar. Haven't used any other tooling in this mill for years. I was buying them regularly off of ebay for many years.

Thanks for your reply. I’m looking for a 40 NMTB to 40 NMTB flash change. That way I can quickly change from one flash change tool to the next.

If your power draw bar is working properly, I think you will find the extra length of the Flash Change adapter and the pita factor of turning the spindle and grabbing the hex key is more problem than it is worth. Where Flash Change adapters really shines is the old boring mill in the corner with the #5 MT spindle that can now use the tooling they bought with the new DeVlieg (circa 1956).

Flash Change may be a misnomer. Certainly isn't faster than pushing the button on a Devlieg Jigmill for the power drawbar, and changing tools in a few seconds. Getting the flash change adapter oriented correctly, the 1/2 inch hex key in and breaking loose the toolholder takes WAY more time than using the drawbar. I've used the flash change adapters on my Excello double end boring machines, that have a manual drawbar, and they save time. Certainly in my fifty taper machine with the drawbar mounted on the top of the spindle housing, the flashchange IS a real time saver. I have used these for twenty years, HAVE a Devlieg jigmil and would never consider using one in the spindle, the power drawbar is super quick and it doesn't care if you're using flash change toolholders

I may have a forty taper flash change adapter. I was buying all of them for awhile.

Flash Change may be a misnomer. Certainly isn't faster than pushing the button on a Devlieg Jigmill for the power drawbar, and changing tools in a few seconds. Getting the flash change adapter oriented correctly, the 1/2 inch hex key in and breaking loose the toolholder takes WAY more time than using the drawbar. I've used the flash change adapters on my Excello double end boring machines, that have a manual drawbar, and they save time. Certainly in my fifty taper machine with the drawbar mounted on the top of the spindle housing, the flashchange IS a real time saver. I have used these for twenty years, HAVE a Devlieg jigmil and would never consider using one in the spindle, the power drawbar is super quick and it doesn't care if you're using flash change toolholders

I may have a forty taper flash change adapter. I was buying all of them for awhile.
I would be interested in buying your 40 taper flash change adapter. Thanks.

I have bought 3 NMTB50 to Flash change 50 adapters for all the older mills where I work, took about 4 years to do so due to their rarity, I also have a NMtb40 to Flash change 40 adapter I would be willing to sell that is in excellent condition and is genuine DeVlieg, I also have 2 NMTB50 to Flash change 40 adapter/ reducers I would be willing to sell that are more recently made and not by devlieg or universal. I like the flash change personally, so long as the added projection isn't an issue due to the size of the master holders they work great, basically one moving part that was meant to last and made by a quality American manufacturer.

I have bought 3 NMTB50 to Flash change 50 adapters for all the older mills where I work, took about 4 years to do so due to their rarity, I also have a NMtb40 to Flash change 40 adapter I would be willing to sell that is in excellent condition and is genuine DeVlieg, I also have 2 NMTB50 to Flash change 40 adapter/ reducers I would be willing to sell that are more recently made and not by devlieg or universal. I like the flash change personally, so long as the added projection isn't an issue due to the size of the master holders they work great, basically one moving part that was meant to last and made by a quality American manufacturer.
I would be interested in buying your Flash change 40 to Flash change adapter. Thank you.

Back