What's new
What's new

Dialog 3 Communications

lowdowncoyote

Plastic
Struggling to communicate between a windows 7 machine using PC-DNC Editor and 1985 Deckel Dialog 3. Code Punched from the Dialog 3 results in a single line of unintelligible characters at the PC. I cannot get anything to go to the Dialog from the PC:wall:. Any thoughts? Anybody communicating via RS232 (no USB adapter) to the dialog 3? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Parameters:
7 data bits, 1 stop bit, even parity XOn (17)/XOff(19)
300 baud, TTY, 20mA
0000 Memory load and Checksum

&P01
D01 +010000
%
(&P01/0000)
N1
N2M30
?

No answers to your questions so i will poke my nose in.
Never run a Dialog3 so am ignorant as to specifics of the transfer setup but i could ask some questions and make some suggestions based on what i know about the Dialog4.....

First off, don't think that control can do any flow control on a normal file transfer. So i would suggest no flow control at all on your transfer program.

If the control has another choice other than TTY , say RS232,...i would use that . (again not sure about the D3)

Forget the parity! It causes at least as much trouble as it solves.

Think you need a space between the block number and any instructions.
Think you need a space between your program number and the / on the check sum.

Program number format is different as is the tool offset info so can't answer to that. I would try doing the transfer without any tool data and see if that helps.
On a D4 you must have a line feed (blank line) between the program number at the top of the header and the tool info.(if used)

You must also have 5 line feeds between the last tool info line and the next line of the header which would be the "%".
Then the & program number (space)/0000
Then the first program line......

Be sure the cable is correct....
See my posting on DNC.....

Try and get data that you can read out of the Deckel. If you have data showing but you can't read it seems your transfer protocol is not correct. If you can get the Deckel to send good data you can see what exactly the header format needs to be.
Good luck........
Cheers Ross

Thanks for the ideas? As recommended, I have focused mainly on trying to get a 10 line program punched from the control to the PC.

I have checked the pin outs and cabling all the way to the boards at least twice. All the communications parameters are adjustable only on the com board using two banks of dip switches as far as I know. To use no parity, I would need 8 data bits... according to my limited knowledge of the rs-232 standard... and I don't believe that is an option on the dialog 3.

Thanks again, back to tinkering...:scratchchin:

Think you can use either 7 or 8 data bits with RS232...just have to set both ends of the line the same.
D4 allows either, as well as odd , even or no parity.
However i am sure that running parity is not your problem. If you get a string of data out to the PC, but as you state it is not readable, the problem lies in the PC side. Something is wrong in the setup of your comm program on the PC.

Here are some of the settings i use on my comm program:
Character code: ASCII
End of block: CRLF (carriage return/line feed)
Handshake: None
Protocol: ASCII

Send and receive: Control format
Allow: "Nulls", comments, spaces

Would be sure you have the end of block set correctly otherwise i think all the data runs together.
That and set to read ASCII characters .
Cheers Ross

Got it!

Finally figured it out! Now the possibilities are endless.... After I determined that the two banks of dip switches where soldered on the NSI55 board upside down, It was all down hill from there.

Back