What's new
What's new

Did autodesk loose or misplace Camplete?

finix

Aluminum
We picked up Camplete truepath shortly after it’s acquisition by Autodesk, we’ve been happy with functionality of the product.

Being the only user of Camplete in country, we purchased direct from Autodesk. Since last November I’ve been trying to renew my subscription, with no response from my contact window. My subscription expired in march, and I was unable to post to my machines. We had to quickly get a reseller who’s terms were they could offer no support, sell us a new subscription, to be able to run our machines. Through no fault of our own, we lost our discount for re sub.

Recently we bought a Mikron Mill e 700 U show machine, in my understanding Camplete already post modules for Mikrons. It should be the easiest thing in the world, pay, get post. We’ve been trying to get a post for this machine for over a month, and no one has answers. Neither myself, our reseller or autodesk Taiwan has been able to reach Camplete. This is in addition to a brother 4+1 post that my contact window promised to sell me half a year ago. No news on that either.

A few weeks ago while looking for our contact window, we discovered he quit or was let go through linkedin. It’s an amazing feeling to be held hostage by a software we chose to invest money into subscribing, and time into learning. To add insult to injury, we need to try to track people down to give them our money, and email everyone and anyone we can find to no avail.

A reseller here is trying push power mill to us as a solution. But frankly I’m frightened of investing time into another software that may get misplaced in a few years. I’m thinking hard about hyper mill right now. The demo looked good, pricing not as much, but hopefully you get what you pay for. Any thoughts on hypermill’s machine simulation and post?

Any advice on alternatives? Or how to track down this company, without being routed to all the wrong places that have no idea what it is?

You might try contacting your "ex-contact" through LinkedIn and seeing if he can provide any information about his replacement, or a higher-up person to speak with (perhaps you've already done this).

But it's most likely you've just been screwed by the Autodesk "buy and bury" strategy for software acquisition. It sucks, but it's a warning to avoid their products when at all possible unless you're willing to accept the risk.

I've heard good things about Hypermill but never used it myself.

We picked up Camplete truepath shortly after it’s acquisition by Autodesk, we’ve been happy with functionality of the product.

Being the only user of Camplete in country, we purchased direct from Autodesk. Since last November I’ve been trying to renew my subscription, with no response from my contact window. My subscription expired in march, and I was unable to post to my machines. We had to quickly get a reseller who’s terms were they could offer no support, sell us a new subscription, to be able to run our machines. Through no fault of our own, we lost our discount for re sub.

Recently we bought a Mikron Mill e 700 U show machine, in my understanding Camplete already post modules for Mikrons. It should be the easiest thing in the world, pay, get post. We’ve been trying to get a post for this machine for over a month, and no one has answers. Neither myself, our reseller or autodesk Taiwan has been able to reach Camplete. This is in addition to a brother 4+1 post that my contact window promised to sell me half a year ago. No news on that either.

A few weeks ago while looking for our contact window, we discovered he quit or was let go through linkedin. It’s an amazing feeling to be held hostage by a software we chose to invest money into subscribing, and time into learning. To add insult to injury, we need to try to track people down to give them our money, and email everyone and anyone we can find to no avail.

A reseller here is trying push power mill to us as a solution. But frankly I’m frightened of investing time into another software that may get misplaced in a few years. I’m thinking hard about hyper mill right now. The demo looked good, pricing not as much, but hopefully you get what you pay for. Any thoughts on hypermill’s machine simulation and post?

Any advice on alternatives? Or how to track down this company, without being routed to all the wrong places that have no idea what it is?
they must have changed something because before autodesk, you could post with camplete even if you didnt have maintenance up to date.

i would just go with NX cam with their simulation. its extremely powerful and G code driven. siemens isnt going away anywhere.

Sorry to hear of the trouble. i can testify that both those solutions will be/ are top notch. I use the CAMlete product for an e500u very frequently. All of the GF Mikron mills are well represented there due to being one of the first partners before it was purchased out from under, every development partner.
the Hypermill product is well developed for GF machines as well. Their Virtual Machine exceeds Vericut capabilities right out of the box. Push/pulling offsets as a basis of their simulation. It'll shift your setup based on the selected fixture offset so that clearanced/ crash detection is accurate. I havn't tried it yet but remote connection to machines is great with being able to push tool table data, i thought I heard cycle start too...but i better check that. Simple heidenhain probing is well represented through their posts, as well. Finding center lines and checking bores are a snap.
As bad as the evil empire of autodesk support might be NX siemens is at least 10x worse. Wouldn't touch that crap with a 10 fit pole.
if I was looking for a one stop solution, Hypermill would undoubtedly be 'it'.

Last edited:
they must have changed something because before autodesk, you could post with camplete even if you didnt have maintenance up to date.

i would just go with NX cam with their simulation. its extremely powerful and G code driven. siemens isnt going away anywhere.
CAMplete now installs like the rest of the autodesk product line where it checks your license every time.

Sorry to hear of the trouble. i can testify that both those solutions will be/ are top notch. I use the CAMlete product for an e500u very frequently. All of the GF Mikron mills are well represented there due to being one of the first partners before it was purchased out from under, every development partner.
the Hypermill product is well developed for GF machines as well. Their Virtual Machine exceeds Vericut capabilities right out of the box. Push/pulling offsets as a basis of their simulation. It'll shift your setup based on the selected fixture offset so that clearanced/ crash detection is accurate. I havn't tried it yet but remote connection to machines is great with being able to push tool table data, i thought I heard cycle start too...but i better check that. Simple heidenhain probing is well represented through their posts, as well. Finding center lines and checking bores are a snap.
As bad as the evil empire of autodesk support might be NX siemens is at least 10x worse. Wouldn't touch that crap with a 10 fit pole.
if I was looking for a one stop solution, Hypermill would undoubtedly be 'it'.
How is hypermill for horizontals with pallet pools? Specifically the post and being able to chain certain tools to machine multiple parts on a tombstone, before swapping to the next tool? The learning curve doesn’t look bad, am I wrong to assume I’ll be up and running pretty quickly?

How is hypermill for horizontals with pallet pools? Specifically the post and being able to chain certain tools to machine multiple parts on a tombstone, before swapping to the next tool? The learning curve doesn’t look bad, am I wrong to assume I’ll be up and running pretty quickly?
Each toolpath can be transformed inside it's parameter pages. Haven't used it on a Hori yet.
Cool thing on the 5 axis capabilities is the retracts and repositions are handle by the software, as it should be, where you can focus on the part. Works especially good with the VM and the program can query the tool table to verify tool gage length, preventing any such oopsy.

You could ask them to program a part for you rolled into the purchase.
I agree on the learning curve. Support is great.

Being the only user of Camplete in country, we purchased direct from Autodesk. Since last November I’ve been trying to renew my subscription, with no response from my contact window.
That'll teach you to do business with Autodesk. AD does not care about their users. Their MO is to acquire competing software, let it coast for a couple years, and then shut it down. If AD buys a product you're using you need to switch to a non-AD product ASAP.

Each toolpath can be transformed inside it's parameter pages. Haven't used it on a Hori yet.
Cool thing on the 5 axis capabilities is the retracts and repositions are handle by the software, as it should be, where you can focus on the part. Works especially good with the VM and the program can query the tool table to verify tool gage length, preventing any such oopsy.
The VM you’re talking about is an additional option correct? Independent of the post, something similar to Camplete but built into hypermill to simulate G-code?

When you mentioned push pulling offsets, do you mean pulling, as in loading the probed offset into VM and adjusting part position?
Pushing offsets would be something similar to G10 L2 Pxx on another controller?

The VM you’re talking about is an additional option correct? Independent of the post, something similar to Camplete but built into hypermill to simulate G-code?

When you mentioned push pulling offsets, do you mean pulling, as in loading the probed offset into VM and adjusting part position?
Pushing offsets would be something similar to G10 L2 Pxx on another controller?
yeah the VM is extra. I have the e500u one, and they are building for customers with the e700u. Yes you can see the Heidy code as you run simulation, but i don't think it actually runs off the code.
As an aside, running simulation off the code like vericut is something of a litmus test in this industry. Please keep in mind, as great as Vericut is, they don't have MTB source code either, so there is no guarantee of a 1:1 until fully tested. Canned and conversational cycles are not something vericut really does.
You can push the tool list you build in Hypermill into the tool table of the hiedenhain. Nice to have name, number, L and R pre-populated.

I'm a big fan of hyperMILL, but have really found it wanting when programming for horizontals. It's a PITA to get the transformations setup correctly, and it constantly has phantom collision errors even when working as intended.

If we had a horizontal mill here, I would suffer through hyperMILL programming for it, because I like the software so much for five axis. If I was primarily programming 3/4 axis and 3+2, hyperMILL wouldn't even be on my short list of programs to try.

I thought about NX but I’m concerned with the local support. Plus I’m hesitant to bring in another full fledged cam package as we have solid works, inventor and Fusion360.

I thought about NX but I’m concerned with the local support. Plus I’m hesitant to bring in another full fledged cam package as we have solid works, inventor and Fusion360.
NX will easily do everything of the (3) software you mentioned, not to mention you will have a truely integrated platform to work from which is pure joy. Before anyone chimes in about integration, multiple titles and installs, plug-ins and ability to open other files is not integration; never has been, never will be. I'd look for a VAR with a background that will help you before making a decision.

I worked a long time for a company (and still consult for them) that used NX since UG v9 days and was always on direct support with Siemens until a few years ago when Siemens started pushing smaller and small-medium size companies to VAR support. Direct Siemens support was the absolute best I've ever heard of but VAR support was just so-so compared to Siemens. For comparison I've used support from large MC and Gibbs VARS too, nothing to write home about at all either. Face it, unless you have direct support, VAR support can be 2nd class for users. Some users are fortunate to have VAR's that can give great service but spotty service does not make for an absolute experience for everyone, whether you're on NX, Creo, MC or Fred-CAM.

We picked up Camplete truepath shortly after it’s acquisition by Autodesk, we’ve been happy with functionality of the product...

...A few weeks ago while looking for our contact window, we discovered he quit or was let go through linkedin. It’s an amazing feeling to be held hostage by a software we chose to invest money into subscribing, and time into learning. To add insult to injury, we need to try to track people down to give them our money, and email everyone and anyone we can find to no avail...

...Any advice on alternatives? Or how to track down this company, without being routed to all the wrong places that have no idea what it is?

Jeez, sorry to hear of your troubles! Now I feel like checking our license. :eek:

If you want to message me, I can answer any questions you may have regarding hyperMILL's® posting/simulation or absolutely anything else about hyperMILL. Just so you know, hyperMILL's support is direct, not through VAR's.

• Love
Reactions: mkd
Well, I do work for an MTB so take this with a grain of salt. I still have my Camplete but we were switched to a VAR for support. I do still have contact with the original Camplete office though too. I can email them and get questions answered but everything official has to go through the VAR. So far, we have had great support from them. Emails get answered quickly.

Back