What's new
What's new

Did autodesk loose or misplace Camplete?

I'm a big fan of hyperMILL, but have really found it wanting when programming for horizontals. It's a PITA to get the transformations setup correctly, and it constantly has phantom collision errors even when working as intended.

If we had a horizontal mill here, I would suffer through hyperMILL programming for it, because I like the software so much for five axis. If I was primarily programming 3/4 axis and 3+2, hyperMILL wouldn't even be on my short list of programs to try.
First, I'm glad you are a hyperMILL® fan. You state that you found it wanting when programming for horizontals, but then you stated 'If we had a horizontal mill here' you would suffer through programming for it. How can you find it wanting if you don't have a machine to program for it? Did you run hyperMILL® at a prior shop that had one? Plus, you should look at multiple origins in hyperMILL®, as opposed to transformations...if you are trying to do tombstone style fixturing.

hyperMILL® should be on everyone's short list, regardless of how many axes. The 3D Expert Bundle includes 3+2, with no further investment other than a compatible post, whether simultaneous or indexing. And it's ridiculously simple to program.

Blown out of the water as in, overpriced and under supported.
Trollololollol
now i know you're off your meds! you've never even given it a good shake!
pricing wise its within 5% of mastercrash, hypemill or powermill. and support is better than both of those. but of course it also depends on who your reseller is.

• Haha
Reactions: mkd
First, I'm glad you are a hyperMILL® fan. You state that you found it wanting when programming for horizontals, but then you stated 'If we had a horizontal mill here' you would suffer through programming for it. How can you find it wanting if you don't have a machine to program for it? Did you run hyperMILL® at a prior shop that had one? Plus, you should look at multiple origins in hyperMILL®, as opposed to transformations...if you are trying to do tombstone style fixturing.

hyperMILL® should be on everyone's short list, regardless of how many axes. The 3D Expert Bundle includes 3+2, with no further investment other than a compatible post, whether simultaneous or indexing. And it's ridiculously simple to program.
no thanks... been there done that. for the same price you pay for HYPEmill, you can have NX, but with CAD thats 100x more powerful, and the CAM is as good if not better.

So I finally found a way to reach camplete on my own. Got a response which is good.

However the response was they no longer have an agreement in place with GF machining solutions. They would need to get a new agreement in place to distribute their machines for camplete. So they can only do it if I can find someone in GF that can help with that.

Tomorrow hypermill is coming In with the quote, I’m sure the sticker shock will be pretty big.

I’m sure the sticker shock will be pretty big.
Better be sitting down when you hear it. Don't want you to hit your head when you faint. :)

Back in 2006 I got a quote for hyperMILL and it was about double what a seat of WorkNC cost. At the time WorkNC was more capable. But that was a long time ago. I'm certain it improved a lot, but I doubt it got cheaper.

now i know you're off your meds! you've never even given it a good shake!
pricing wise its within 5% of mastercrash, hypemill or powermill. and support is better than both of those. but of course it also depends on who your reseller is.
Kinda disagree.
We recently purchased Solid Edge Cam Pro and still have (and will keep, as it already paid) Mastercam.
I found that support from In-House Solution was much better than we get from our NX reseller.
They just provided website with online course and nobody who can answer our question.

Reactions: mkd
Kinda disagree.
We recently purchased Solid Edge Cam Pro and still have (and will keep, as it already paid) Mastercam.
I found that support from In-House Solution was much better than we get from our NX reseller.
They just provided website with online course and nobody who can answer our question.
didja miss the last part of my statement? :)

Regarding the topic.
It’s pity to hear how Autodesk killing Camplete.
I liked it more than Vericut

Regarding the topic.
It’s pity to hear how Autodesk killing Camplete.
I liked it more than Vericut
Might seem like they are killing it, maybe more like acting like the Borg, for us star trek fans. You will be assimilated; resistence is futile......

You should try out Topsolid, good support and it's Kinematic aware. It's been a few years since I last used it, but that Cad side is top notch and the Cam was really nice for 5-Axis machines.
Their is definitely a learning curve, but when you get it set up and running you can program pretty fast with it. I'll be honest with you, I came from using Mastercam for many many years so the transition was pretty difficult for
me. But I could see the power and flexibility of Topsolid and it would be at the top of my list if I were looking for a new Cad/Cam system!!

---

You and I have interacted IRL and over the phone many times, and I dox myself on here frequently. So not sure if that was a genuine question, or just a retort. Regardless, I feel compelled to point out that I have used hyperMILL previously for Makino horizontal programming, as well as lots and lots of multi part fixtures in 3 and 5 axis environments.

I have thoughts (a lot of them) that I posted and then removed, because I like you guys and don't want to say anything that might hurt the relationship. That said; here comes a more condensed rant.

I think your software is awesome, but I really don't agree that it should be on "everyone's" short list. I also haven't been shy that I don't agree with the direction the product development has been headed in the last five years or so. I bought hyperMILL because it is a niche piece of software that is great for those of us who need to do full five axis programming every day. Its capabilities in complex situations saved us a ton of money overall, even though programming simple parts became a bit more time consuming. It is frustrating to feel like the software is losing the competitive advantage in five axis, while the development team is focused on forcing it to do things it's not very good at. Really wish the OpenMind team would accelerate improving the existing toolpaths and core product, and bringing some urgently needed stability/quality-of-life fixes, instead of trying to build hype and develop things that get Apple and Facebook excited. I feel like the software is losing value for existing customers that use it to make money, while OpenMind is off chasing companies with piles of VC money and short attention spans.

Last edited:
I’ve got no issue whatsoever with them selling out to AD. Just rather disappointing that their website wasn’t updated and contact windows disappeared with no notice. Not even able to resub and have my license expire, then having to buy from local company who’s terms were they can offer no support is ridiculous.

One of the main reasons we decided to go for the Mikron instantly, was Camplete was a turn key of a solution to get it up and running. If needing a new cam and simulation setup was a factor… We’re located in Taiwan so we’re not really lacking in options. Local MTB’s like Quaser and champmill have some offerings I’m a fan of. Machine tool industry is also slow right now so there’s some pretty good deals. Proximity to Japan also offers many options in that direction that I’m familiar with.

Back