What's new
What's new

Difference between G68.1 and G68.2

Macturn

Plastic
Our Mori NT4200 with Fanuc 31iA5 control the machine defaults to G68.1 for tilted workplane operations, however, it also capable of using G68.2 / G53.1.

What is the difference between the G68.1 and G68.2? What advantages do I gain from switching from .1 to .2?

The manuals lack detailed explanations so here I am. My research online is telling me that G68.1 is best for jobs where I turn a diameter then mill a feature all working from the machine centreline. My situation is that I want to be using the machine as a 5 axis mill with two tables ( fixtures on main and sub ) and therefore G68.2 is the better solution as it can handle off centre jobs and I can change the orientation of a part but reuse the code because the offset tied to the part, not to machine.

Am I wide of the mark?

If this is a turning center or a mill/turn, I think G68.1 is the goto application for that style machine. G68.2 is used on mills only, as far as I can tell. Never used G68.1 on a mill. But our SMX's use G68.1 to do the same thing. But I am not a turning guy, only milling and 5 axis.

If this is a turning center or a mill/turn, I think G68.1 is the goto application for that style machine. G68.2 is used on mills only, as far as I can tell. Never used G68.1 on a mill. But our SMX's use G68.1 to do the same thing. But I am not a turning guy, only milling and 5 axis.
@LockNut
It is a B axis millturn. We want to use it as 5 axis mill with a pyramid fixture on the main and sub spindles to try and maximise machine run time.

Back