What's new
What's new

Digger Doug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digger knows a lot of stuff, but he seems to feel that he can express his knowledge (and any whimsical notion he may have) in as obnoxious a way as he wants, with no consequence. For me, his view isn't worth the climb. I blocked him.

The simple truth is that no one leaves a board because of 'bad posters'. No one comes back because 'bad posters' have been kicked out. People participate on boards for a million reasons - some nearly impossible to define - but it's never because of other posters.

If you want a parallel, it's like how no one quits smoking or loses weight because of other people....it's always for internal reasons and internal decisions. All of this 'I quit smoking for my kids or 'I lost 100lbs for my loved ones.....' is just bullshit. No one does anything - not for long - because of other people. To quote the world's #1 movie, Shawshank Redemption, "Salvation lies within".

Or perhaps the world's #1 rap artist - M and M - summed it up best when he said 'I do know one thing though/bitches they come they go...'

It's the internet; the salt must flow.

Salty is fine. Gotta draw the limit at bloody though... I think probably most people don't/won't completely leave a site because of others being jerks but it may incline some who would otherwise post and give answers, *not* to. Some people are not geared for handling conflict. We should do everything possible to encourage *everyone* to participate, or information that may be useful and pertinent to a thread may not be shared. Being a little salty is one thing. Vehement personal attacks are something else. This site is best used as a troubleshooting tool or for idea generation, IMO. For that use, every input is valuable. You don't need to like someone to get useful information out of them... The more civil a manner with which people are treated, the more likely they are to share and help.

I don't generally have to do a lot of intervention. Most of the guys here are pretty good and don't start arguments or trouble for no reason. I think I have banned maybe two people for behavior so far, and only temporarily. I prefer to discuss the problem and maybe what can be done differently to prevent future trouble.

Dude always seemed angry at the world, grumpy guy, old man yelling at clouds type.

Hmm. Mostly I saw him grumpy about the endless spam that this site does not deal with well, and people who really should have been asking questions at HomeShop CNC. He's a little bit of a grump but so are several of us, so what ? I'd like it if he came here more. Hanging out with Dualkit can't be good for one's view of the world.

• Haha
Reactions: Ox
Doug's a good guy. If you acknowledge his input he's helpful and considerate. If you dismiss his opinion he can be very blunt with you. I think of Doug just like some of my friends that were born with larger mesh in their filter.

This site was founded on a heavy bias towards the professional machinist. There wasn't a lot of flexibility in that. Hobby posts were not tolerated by Don at all. Then suddenly, nobody gave a shit anymore. We got a mix of clowns for moderators and it become a real shit place for awhile. I think Doug didn't want this place to go down the toilet and he acted on that by calling out the hobby posts and letting them know where they should go for a benefit to us and them.

I don't believe in a one-size-fits-all everyone gets a participation trophy kind of forum. I can see where Doug's coming from.

I was pretty done with this place until moderation turned around and Thermite left. Nice enough guy, but he made 99/100 threads in this forum trash by adding his word salad. Yeah, maybe 20% of what he wrote was real. Maybe. I don't have the tolerance for his form of bullshit.

Hmm. Mostly I saw him grumpy about the endless spam that this site does not deal with well, and people who really should have been asking questions at HomeShop CNC. He's a little bit of a grump but so are several of us, so what ? I'd like it if he came here more. Hanging out with Dualkit can't be good for one's view of the world.
?
This site does way better with spam than most I use.
You get the odd time when 50 bots will fill up the front page of a couple subforums, but it gets cleaned up within a few hours.

I reported a guy hawking 5 million sanding pads in the Owner forum around 3 this morning. It was gone a few hours later.

Short of getting all draconian on new posters, its a pretty good system.

It depends on which forum. Some moderators are around a lot, others call in once a week or so. They could adjust things so any moderator could ditch spam in any forum, but that would take work so it appears that won't happen.

I have asked about this multiple times. So far, have only gotten "I'll see what I can do" back.

Salty is fine. Gotta draw the limit at bloody though... I think probably most people don't/won't completely leave a site because of others being jerks but it may incline some who would otherwise post and give answers, *not* to. Some people are not geared for handling conflict. We should do everything possible to encourage *everyone* to participate, or information that may be useful and pertinent to a thread may not be shared. Being a little salty is one thing. Vehement personal attacks are something else. This site is best used as a troubleshooting tool or for idea generation, IMO. For that use, every input is valuable. You don't need to like someone to get useful information out of them... The more civil a manner with which people are treated, the more likely they are to share and help.

I don't generally have to do a lot of intervention. Most of the guys here are pretty good and don't start arguments or trouble for no reason. I think I have banned maybe two people for behavior so far, and only temporarily. I prefer to discuss the problem and maybe what can be done differently to prevent future trouble.
I know one guy for a fact that doesn't participate here anymore mostly because of one of the above mentioned parties. And that's Sad, because he Is a wealth of knowledge and experience. And as nice a guy as you could meet that truly wanted to and enjoyed helping others.

Before you do, I'll ask what Carbide meant ... push the edge on obnoxious, moi ? but spam ... what do I spam ? describing stuff that's available elsewhere in the world is spam ?

Pretty sure he was more referring to the fact that you're more or less a solid chunk of salt... :D

I know one guy for a fact that doesn't participate here anymore mostly because of one of the above mentioned parties. And that's Sad, because he Is a wealth of knowledge and experience. And as nice a guy as you could meet that truly wanted to and enjoyed helping others.

Have him check in and see if he likes the place better now.

Doug's a good guy. If you acknowledge his input he's helpful and considerate. If you dismiss his opinion he can be very blunt with you. I think of Doug just like some of my friends that were born with larger mesh in their filter.

This site was founded on a heavy bias towards the professional machinist. There wasn't a lot of flexibility in that. Hobby posts were not tolerated by Don at all. Then suddenly, nobody gave a shit anymore. We got a mix of clowns for moderators and it become a real shit place for awhile. I think Doug didn't want this place to go down the toilet and he acted on that by calling out the hobby posts and letting them know where they should go for a benefit to us and them.

I don't believe in a one-size-fits-all everyone gets a participation trophy kind of forum. I can see where Doug's coming from.

I was pretty done with this place until moderation turned around and Thermite left. Nice enough guy, but he made 99/100 threads in this forum trash by adding his word salad. Yeah, maybe 20% of what he wrote was real. Maybe. I don't have the tolerance for his form of bullshit.
+1 about Doug. He was treated unreasonably here by some overly sensitive members - and he wasn't the only one.

Re. your other points, even though I agree that there is actually a good moderator team here now, moderation is still a contentious issue for me, and the problem comes from the top, not the ranks.

And I liked Thermite. I know I'm about the only one, but I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back