What's new
What's new

Dilemma about moving jobs: HELP

As others have said, you are CEO of You, Inc. As CEO, it is your obligation to get the best total price for the product you have to offer. You solely are responsible for the quality, quantity, and availability of this product. This product is your labor.

If your current employer is $20K out of the market you are never going to a sufficient raise. But make sure you do your homework on your future employer.

Remember, a pay raise is good for about 90 days. Make sure you put some away for tougher times before your change in life style sucks it all up.

I find it amazing someone was paying $10 an hour under local market rate for labor. I have a feeling you may have exaggerated your skills to your prospective new employer.

knowing market rates for the Portland area - sounds like you are making $13-$15 and hour and ready to move up to $23-$25 an hour to garner that $20k increase in pay. I would have a hard time expecting someone at your present rate being the key focal for G-Code programming / CAM from SolidWorks models. If this is the case - your present employer is indeed getting a great deal and you should take that opportunity. Whether you can take it without first checking in with your present employer about the possibility of a raise is your choice - I personally have never given any of my past employers that opportunity as I would have already tested those waters before deciding to look for other work.

If on the other hand - the ranges of salary are much higher than outlined above - your new employer is going to have pretty high expectations for skills that you may or may not have.

We simply cannot trust what people put on a resume these days with respect to skills. If they are applying for a machinist job - we hand them a print and set them down in front of a lathe or a mill that they claim experience with and have them work with one of our machinists to make a part. The part is their resume and we don't have any doubt at that point as to whether they can do what they say they can do. We have actually had guys tell us that they didn't think they could work here while standing in front of a machine with a deer in the headlights look on their face.

I find it amazing someone was paying $10 an hour under local market rate for labor. I have a feeling you may have exaggerated your skills to your prospective new employer.

At 24 I feel I'm rather young to be in a position that I am and some employers underestimate my know late and skill in this line of work believe it or not age talks, I've been to interviews in the past when I walked in the door the boss was almost puzzled to see a young person applying for the position

Back