What's new
What's new

Dinosaurs and Mastercam 8.1

Bubba1965

Plastic
I am a dinosaur and nearly a luddite but i want to help
have a friend who is also a dinosaur he has a Mastercam license such that he always gets updates and new versions sent to him.
he is familiar with Mastercam 8.1 and has made a good living with it.
When his ancient computer died he had the hdd copied to the new computer. his hasp works great with the newer versions of Mastercam.
but cannot get version 8.1 to start and talking to the reseller who says no help or support is available for the older versions such as 8.1
any ideas on how to get up and running again?
mind you that the new software is available but he is so locked into the old version that anything new will not be attempted

any ideas on how to get up and running again?

An easy first thing to try is using the network card from the old computer. Sounds dumb but a lot of software is locked to the MAC address, which is typically found on the network card.

If that doesn't work he's not out anything ... I know there's cracks for 8 out there, since he actually bought it I don't think even the "piracy !" people can have much to complain about.

He's pretty much S.O.L. unless he can find an old computer that runs Windows 95 or Windows 98. Or maybe even Windows XP.
It's not really worth the headache.

Old versions of Mastercam require the old operating system in order for the HASP driver to work. From what I've heard, this can be achieve with a VM (virtual machine).

Old versions of Mastercam require the old operating system in order for the HASP driver to work. From what I've heard, this can be achieve with a VM (virtual machine).
thanks for the info i'll see what i can do about setting up a vm

Anyone with the intellectual horsepower and learning capacity to set up a VM to spoof a vintage operating system, could, one imagines, very readily learn a modern version of MasterCAM. The current versions are just a modern interface over an obviously hoary back end, and most of the challenges people have, at least what we see in our shop, are when using the advanced milling features that you can just happily ignore if you want.

Anyone with the intellectual horsepower and learning capacity to set up a VM to spoof a vintage operating system, could, one imagines, very readily learn a modern version of MasterCAM. The current versions are just a modern interface over an obviously hoary back end, and most of the challenges people have, at least what we see in our shop, are when using the advanced milling features that you can just happily ignore if you want.
still the dinosaur struggles and fails "but he is so locked into the old version that anything new will not be attempted"
and again the reseller is of no help. other than calling corporate is there no solution?

Find an equally ancient computer on e-bay - install on that. Does he have the installation disk? You aren't going to get that old of a software to run on a modern machine without doing a virtual setup.

i still have all the versions from when we used mastercam all the way back to x2 there is a programmer that does that kinda thing,,,make older verions work properly with newer windows,,,

i still have all the versions from when we used mastercam all the way back to x2 there is a programmer that does that kinda thing,,,make older verions work properly with newer windows,,,
Thanks for the reply, i'm interested in the method of how to get old versions (Mcam 8.1) to work with newer hardware. or at least contact info.

found the old dvd,,,,,gosh where did the time go,,,i will fire everything up and send you some video,,,im fairly confident we have everything to solve your issue,,,will have news later today

ok ,,good news and bad news,,,we got everything work,,,but we had to get this guy to help us,,,,,,,from my fathers time,,,,,my grandpa ran in the 80's ,,my dad ran in the 90's ,,and the passed it to me in the 2007ish time,,,,,,our family ended our relationship with mastercam and inhouse solutions about a week after we paid for mastercam 2018,,,,,anyhow ,,,take a look at this video,,,,,,hope it can help,,the guy that does our TopSolid Stuff says "you will need to emulate the parallel dongle with a USB to parallel port adapter" ,,feel free to post any file here,,,,glad to help

Back