What's new
What's new

DIY Kuka 7th axis gear drive query

fotobright

Plastic
Hi,

I’m needing to build up a 7th axis rotary turntable for my Kuka. It would be nice just to buy a stock Kuka but to keep down costs I’ll need to fabrication one from parts.

I have a spare Siemens servo motor and matching driver my query is about buying a suitable secondhand gear reduction unit. I’ve been asking around for a used gear unit from the A3 axis of the kuka robot. Kuka ones are unusually expensive so decided to cast the net a bit wider and look at other brands, dimensions and reduction ratios.

I’m not an engineer and was hoping someone might be able to help me understand the connection between motor shaft and gearbox. Luckily I don’t need a high torque unit as i’m only machining blocks of EPS polystyrene and I’m not working to tight tolerance.

I see several examples where the motor looks connected to the gear drive with a pinion gear one end and keyway the other end but in on there models the pinion appears to be built in? I don’t quite understand how the pinion is kept true. I would have thought there was a bearing, holder or machined sleeve somewhere between the motor shaft and gear driver?

I’m expecting I’ll need to have a custom adapter made to go from the large 32mm OD, 38 spline motor shaft to the pinion gear. A job for a hobber/machinist I would have thought.

Any suggestions or link to how these units are connected most welcome. also suggested models.

Thanks

kuka motor.jpgside-1.jpgside-2.jpg

Back