What's new
What's new

DMG DMU 50 Evolution machine constants

DrimJohn

Aluminum
Hello everybody, my name is John and I live in Greece. I have recently purchased a DMG DMU 50 Evolution 2000 built. It is in good mechanical shape and very little used. When I power it up it only showing 3 axis and not the 4 and 5 axis. I believe this is do to machine constants have been wiped out and the controller has now the defaults constants.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l16002.jpg
s-l16006.jpg
20200930_110721.jpg
I am trying to enter the menu to edit the constants but the controller wont do anything when I press F8 (menu) or Alt. Also the arrows wont work either. I know the keys are working because when I press them it goes out of the black and white screen saver, the controller just ignores them.

I have printed copy of the constants and backup hard disc of Millplus but I don't know where is the plc program, is it in the hard disc or in some chip in the controller. Should I replace the battery insight the controller or I may loose something very important?
Also I can make a copy of hdd or constants ans sent it to anyone need it.

Attachments

• s-l16004.jpg
    s-l16004.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 174
I have the same machine from 99-2000. If you're loosing constants, you'll need to replace the BR2335 battery in the EPC8 main board. It happens gradually as the battery loses a charge. Leave the machine powered up to charge the super capacitor fully. Then power off, pull the EPC8 board and change the battery, you'll have to move the ram simm out of the way to install the new battery. Did you flip the middle switch in the rear of the cabinet? You'll need to do that to write to the constants.

I would just punch in the parameters by hand and see if that gets it going. You'll need to restart a few times as entering some of the constants unlocks other constants that you won't be able to enter on the first round. You have a set of manuals, correct?

Thank you for your help, I haven't noticed any switch inside the cabinet except the button that shorts the limit switches. I have some pictures from the insight of cabinet
20200930_104248.jpg20200930_104254.jpg20200930_104302.jpg20200930_104323.jpg20200930_104410.jpg

ww.jpg
Cabinet schematic.
Is this switch responsible for me not be able to open any menu in the screen?

I have electrical drawings, millplus manual, machine manual, and some manuals from components of the machine, and the machine constants explanation in german.

Solved, to modify the parameters there is not a physical switch but a code entered in the controller.
Once you are in the parameters you have to enter 1234 and hit enter. Then the parameters can be edited
John

Did you get it going? You have a newer version of the mill plus control. There is the next version from mine which is vme based and has an Epc8a motherboard and then there’s the version that runs on a pc thats not vme, dont remember what that hardware is but has the backup battery in a different location.

The PC is like this
s-l1600.jpg
I have change the position of the cards in the pc and it seems to working, I don't know for how long
John

I will try to put new capacitors to the motherboard, I thing this is the reason it is not working correctly. I have ordered a new pc Philips PG1220 just in case something gone wrong in recaping the original pc.

Hi to all, as you can see in the video the position of the tool change is off by two to three millimeters, I have noted the machine position coordinates during the tool change in order to find them in machine constants and correct them but I cant find them. Any one knows the procedure and the MC I must change to align the spindle correctly for the tool change?
John

Solved, Millplus has the machine coordinate system with the zero to the index of the glass scale close to the limit switches. This coordinate system it is not the g53, the g53 is offset to this with the value in machine constant 3114 for the x axis (mine 3114 is 500600), so the operator sees positive numbers for the travel of x axis, 0 at the left end of travel and 500,000 at the right end for the x axis. The machine constant for the position in x axis above the tool in the right chain is 3148 and for the left chain is 3160. to change the two constants I had to change the negative limit travel constant 3119. to align perfect with the tool changer I will make something like this in the post
Contest for the most insane member (They will be a Maho owner)
288874d1589751481-contest-most-insane-member-they-will-maho-owner-20200517_110640.jpg

I hop this will help others with similar problems
John

G7 move, the controller knows the position of the rotary axis and it keeps the position of the tool tip constant relative to the bed during a rotation of the B axis, the controller interpolate all the axis for this move to happen.

So there is no need then to enter the exact position of the vice- workpice to the cam software, all the instructions from the cam can be relative to the workpice, like on the 3 axis machines. The only reason the position must be accurate in the cam is for for detect the collisions between workpice- vice- bed and spindle or tools. Outstanding for 20 years old machine.

Hi Drimjohn.
We recently also bought the same machine.
We had issues with the heat-exchanger ( only 1 fan installed )and leaking oil and water.
I replaced some piping, serviced the radiators and got a matching fan for the oil pump.
Question: What direction should the motors turn and what direction should the fans blow? i do not have manuals for this and im getting mixed responses.
Can you help me please?
Thank you

Hi Drimjohn.
We recently also bought the same machine.
We had issues with the heat-exchanger ( only 1 fan installed )and leaking oil and water.
I replaced some piping, serviced the radiators and got a matching fan for the oil pump.
Question: What direction should the motors turn and what direction should the fans blow? i do not have manuals for this and im getting mixed responses.
Can you help me please?
Thank you
Hi, sorry for the late reply, the fan must blow air up thru the radiators. they turn counterclockwise when you look them from below.

IMG_0679.JPGIn mine the oil radiator was leaking from the pressure. change the piping so the oil goes first to the exchanger and then to the pump so the heat exchanger wont see hi pressures. the exit from the heat exchanger has a small pipe so all the air goes out first and then the oil. the pump cant push air so in order for the modification to work you must open a small hole in the base of the pipe to the exit from the radiator.

Last edited:
Hi again guys, thank you @DrimJohn for the fan directions. i am finally at the point to do some real 5 axis on the machine, post processor is about 70% but i came across another issue.. The code and machine movements don't line up, i am at the point to try and calibrate it ( without a touch probe) and when i went to the MP parameters ( TNC426/430PB) i discovered they were all set to 0... This may be because we changed the battery or it has never been calibrated? I came across a document explaining how but its more of a "cheat sheet" after learning exactly how to do it. So i want to calibrate the machine/kinematics with a dial indicator , ball gauge and normal gauges.
My Question: who has experience in doing this and who is willing to assist? locally i'm screwed because most people that could do this are not around anymore and im even trying to reach out to Heidenhain with no luck.
Any assistance would be welcome.
Thank You

Back