What's new
What's new

dnc from android tablet

ptimachine

Plastic
are there any apps for android that support rs232 transfer directly from a tablet or smartphone using a mini USB to serial adapter? everything I see is basically a remote to control the networking in your shop so you don't have to walk back and forth from computer to machine and the tablet isn't actually doing the transfer. I don't have my machines networked that way. I'm still doing it the old fashion way, carrying a laptop to the machine. This suits my purpose just fine, but I would just rather have something a little more compact. full DNC and backplotting would be a plus, but not necessity.

are there any apps for android that support rs232 transfer directly from a tablet or smartphone using a mini USB to serial adapter? everything I see is basically a remote to control the networking in your shop so you don't have to walk back and forth from computer to machine and the tablet isn't actually doing the transfer. I don't have my machines networked that way. I'm still doing it the old fashion way, carrying a laptop to the machine. This suits my purpose just fine, but I would just rather have something a little more compact. full DNC and backplotting would be a plus, but not necessity.
USBCNC | Calmotion

The USB to serial adapters are hit & miss with quality, and there are a few threads about this on here. I personally have never had a regular USB to serial adapter work on a control- using a computer with a dedicated com port was the only way to circumvent the issues. I suspect with mini-USB you'll find the same.

The linked interface will read from a solid state drive and write to a serial port, not necessarily read from a tablet/phone as though it was a solid state drive. Best to contact them first.

The USB to serial adapters are hit & miss with quality, and there are a few threads about this on here. I personally have never had a regular USB to serial adapter work on a control- using a computer with a dedicated com port was the only way to circumvent the issues.

I had to try 3 different USB to serial adapters before finding one that worked 100% of the time. MOXA is the brand that I found works. Spent ~$100 on adapters and several hours on each one trying to make the others work. PITA.

You can use "Easy CNC Data Transfer". It is for various platforms. e.g. MS Windows, iPhone, macOS and Android.

Back