What's new
What's new

DNM 500 - Alarm #2161 & Metering valve access?

colton_m

Aluminum
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help:

Our DNM 500 has lubrication issues presenting with alarm #2161 (lubrication pressure down alarm). Upon investigation we discovered pushing the red “manual” button on the way lube pump doesn’t build pressure on the gauge. We visually checked for leaks and were not able to find any. I also disassembled the metering valves for the Y & Z axis ball screws as well as the Z-axis ways. These valves were in rough shape, very dirty, sticky etc. After a thorough cleaning inside and out they were tested and work as expected. With clean metering valves the lube pressure builds faster, but is still not correct. We then replaced the way lube pump to rule that out, things improved a bit more but it still takes 25-45 seconds to build pressure on the gauge. I believe my issue might be with the X & Y metering valves but I have not been able to access them. We had the X-axis way covers off during our search for leaks (there were none visible) but I could see the metering valves under the table using a mirror. My best results so far are consuming 2 tanks of way-lube in 8 hours and I still observe the alarm #2161 intermittently – we tested some other values for the lube timers but have settled back on the factory settings from our blue book.

I would like to know if anyone has any experience or instructions for accessing the X & Y metering valves (Unit. Distributor)?

Or if there is something else I should be checking to resolve this problem?

Thanks,

OK, before anything else, drop the reservoir on the lube and drain it. Then check the input for a clogged screen.
There's a very fine screen on the end of the suction tube and it plugs up after a while.
The fact that your metering valves were clogged and dirty, tells me that other things in the waylube system are as well.
Also, thoroughly clean the tank itself and refill with fresh oil.

OK, before anything else, drop the reservoir on the lube and drain it. Then check the input for a clogged screen.
There's a very fine screen on the end of the suction tube and it plugs up after a while.
The fact that your metering valves were clogged and dirty, tells me that other things in the waylube system are as well.
Also, thoroughly clean the tank itself and refill with fresh oil.

We replaced the complete pump assembly, so the screen and reservoir are brand new at this point. We just checked that again as a precaution, all clear.

Back