What's new
What's new

Does any company in the west produce 10ft wide aluminum coils?

Delmarvan

Plastic
I've been trying to get in touch with Rio Tinto but have had no reply from them. The only other aluminum smelter I can think of is Norsk Hydro. I've had zero success finding an american smelter that produces 10ft wide aluminum coils.
This will guide some of the tooling decisions I make over the coming year so would be great if I could nail down a supplier of very large dimension aluminum plate.

I've already checked with every domestic smelter, none produce 10ft wide coils. If there are no 10ft wide coils then no distributor is able to ship 10ft wide plate.
I know of multiple chinese smelters that do 10ft and I think one even supplies 12ft coils but due to our nature as a federal contractor those are out of the question.

I've already checked with every domestic smelter, none produce 10ft wide coils. If there are no 10ft wide coils then no distributor is able to ship 10ft wide plate.
I know of multiple chinese smelters that do 10ft and I think one even supplies 12ft coils but due to our nature as a federal contractor those are out of the question.
What makes you think a "smelter" would produce coils? That comes from a rolling mill. Somebody does it, look at a house trailer roof.

Smelters do not roll. Alcoa might have some ability at refining houses.

Vulcan in Alabama maybe. Plates 10 x 20’ ft are every day all day off the shelf item, coils it looks like get outside standard at 6. Truck beds take more than that so someone is doing it.

Did you not check Alcoa? I'm sure they could do it for you if you wanted, we've gotten extra large billets from them in the past. However I imagine it would be cost prohibitive unless you have a very strong case for it.

Did you not check Alcoa? I'm sure they could do it for you if you wanted, we've gotten extra large billets from them in the past. However I imagine it would be cost prohibitive unless you have a very strong case for it.
Alcoa haven't responded to me yet so perhaps.

I've been trying to get in touch with Rio Tinto but have had no reply from them. The only other aluminum smelter I can think of is Norsk Hydro. I've had zero success finding an american smelter that produces 10ft wide aluminum coils.
This will guide some of the tooling decisions I make over the coming year so would be great if I could nail down a supplier of very large dimension aluminum plate.
If your a DOD vendor maybe network with someone who handles contracts and/or approves suppliers--must be some kind of vendor list buries in all that DOD-Defense Logistics data banks. Find out who is big airframe repair and overhaul contractor they might have a source they can share.
This company supposedly supplies aluminum for Ford stamping plants and looks to be heavily involved in defense industry. The boast " "Our large width capability (over 100 inches / 2.6 m) covers most applications and thus reduces assembly workload." (yeah I know..you said 120 inches)

Last edited:
And then....there is this...keeping in mind "we the Gov't and are here to help you.
(seriously...once, a long time ago, found a friendly voice on the other end of a long distance call who steered me in the fight direction)

"logistics solutions for support of ferrous metals, non-ferrous metals (including specialty metals), angle, bar, extrusions, sheet, strip, plate, structural shapes, tubing, and ingots."

Alcoa haven't responded to me yet so perhaps.
You have to call on the phone, and keep asking, if you cant help me, who can. Emails are often not read, particularly in industries that dont deal with the public. My metals suppliers reps often have very few repeat customers and know who they are, and you gotta talk your way up to somebody who knows whats what. Sometimes I have had to call a half dozen suppliers, and jawbone with salsmen, to track down who actually makes what.

Coast's Portland facility is pretty massive. They have some huge plates in there. I swear they told me the cast 6061 plate I buy sawed comes in 10ftx20ft plates.

Coast's Portland facility is pretty massive. They have some huge plates in there. I swear they told me the cast 6061 plate I buy sawed comes in 10ftx20ft plates.
Both Coast Aluminum https://coastaluminum.com/
and West Coast Aluminum. https://www.westcoastmet.com/
are in portland.
Now you have me confused as to who the boatbuilders use- Its one of em. And I have seen really big parts get delivered.

Back