What's new
What's new

Does anyone make a cordless electric drill?

probably not . a large sds type hammer drill won't have a clutch. you can always mount
a hex shank drill chuck to a v.s. impact driver .... that would make for a very short tool
without the clutch.

When you say "imaginary driver mechanism" does that include a clutch? If so I think you'll have a hard time finding one. Even my old 9v cordless drills had clutches, with a locked position for drilling.

The only direct drive drills I've ever seen were likely 80+ years old. Couple were household grade drills with 1/4" chucks, no reverse and just an on/off toggle switch.

Are you just looking for something simple and reliable?

I have a Makita 6172D 3/8" 7.2V pistol grip drill with no clutch, just what you want. It was made 09/94 and is totally obsolete and you probably cannot get a new OEM battery that fits. You can get new Chinese batteries, of course. Now that I found it, I will put it in the trash can.

As for current stuff, I have a DeWalt DW960 18V 3/8" VSR right angle drill with a Nov. 20 date. It is just a drill with no clutch. Pretty new, and takes the recently designed 18V Lithium Nano batteries, but is already obsolete and replaced by the 20V Max battery version, which is still basically the same drill with no clutch.

Larry

Here is one: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2415-20
There is an M18 version too.
Not sure why you wouldn't want a clutch on a normal style drill, they come in handy and I've never heard of one breaking.
I just want a small super compact lightwieght hi speed cordless drill to drill many 1/8 and 3/16 holes for pop rivets. I do them by the hundreds.Once upon a time,they were called pistol drills and had a cord or an airhose comming out of them.Airplane factories had thousands of them.Edwin Dirnbeck

I just want a small super compact lightwieght hi speed cordless drill to drill many 1/8 and 3/16 holes for pop rivets. I do them by the hundreds.Once upon a time,they were called pistol drills and had a cord or an airhose comming out of them.Airplane factories had thousands of them.Edwin Dirnbeck
Here it is. I just pulled it out of the waste bucket. I expect it still works OK, but I am not going to buy a new Chinese battery for it. Trash goes out to the curb Sunday night.

I do recall some decades ago visiting my company's heavy truck assembly lines and noting a lot of the small air tools had been replaced by Makita battery drills. There were fewer air hoses hanging from tool balancers along the lines.

Larry
DSC03167 exp small.jpg

Here it is. I just pulled it out of the waste bucket. I expect it still works OK, but I am not going to buy a new Chinese battery for it. Trash goes out to the curb Sunday night.

I do recall some decades ago visiting my company's heavy truck assembly lines and noting a lot of the small air tools had been replaced by Makita battery drills. There were fewer air hoses hanging from tool balancers along the lines.

Larry
View attachment 384527
I had a B & D version of that one with a keyed drill chuck on it. Battery was built in, non-replaceable even though I did replace it once with a factory battery. Later replaced with a 9.6 v Dewalt drill, which I still have but don't use anymore. Unfortunately, it has the clutch.

milwaukee still makes battery M18 drills..... they work just fine.

Can't help on the cordless part; but there are plentiful such drill-only pneumatics.
Electric-wise THE riveting drill is Milwaukee 0101-20; 1/4" chuck and 4000 RPM. Good screw machine length split-point bits, pops holes unbelievably quick. Are any aircraft hand bushings etc (ie United Drill Bushing Co) being used?

Assuming this is aluminum and you want high speed, it's hard to beat Metabo. They even have one that does 5000 rpm and doesn't have the "stupid clutch"

They even make and electric pop rivet gun that uses the same batteries.

Back