What's new
What's new

Dom tubing - where to buy?

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
Where would a guy go to buy a piece of DOM tubing 6.5 OD - 4" ID
Needs to be weldable so 1018 or some such.
I need to make a sleeve like my crude drawing.

Attachments

• 2023-02-08_09_34_01.jpg
    2023-02-08_09_34_01.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 55
Have you ever been to midway Iron on the east side of St. Cloud??
Best and nicest dealer for metal there is. They will special order anything.

of course, there's Coremark on north second in Minneapolis also. they have a larger inventory.

EMJ has it, be prepared to $$$$$$
Yeah, no kidding. If you ever need something shorter than a full bar, EMJ is not the place to get it..................

I'd just go with a solid hunk of 1018 or 1045 and be done with it............material will be WAY cheaper........DOM and seamless in the last year has been crazy expensive(at least in the sizes I buy)

Eventually you guys will give up on hunting down short pieces of weird-size tubing and just resign yourself to drilling a big hole.

You also get whatever steel you like to work with that way.
Yup, W&S showed in the catalogs a "Cell" with an auto bandsaw, a large powerfeed drill with simple fixturing, and a chucker lathe.

Called the process "Slugging".

Advocated it's usage with time/material/labor studies.

Last edited:
It'd be cool if they didn't charge so much for tubing, and had a bigger array of sizes in stock.

But they don't :( That's why I finally gave up and just went straight to the drill ...
Imagine this kit-

Insert like an Iscar Tang grip with high radial relief....a form cutter and a chart.

End user uses whatever he has on hand for a cutter body....tubing drops, some welded up bullshit...whatever...he just needs to provide an interface to the chart's spec. He then slots this interface using the form tool and drops the insert in. Boom, custom 1-fl trepanning tool.

Super fast? No. Production ready? No. Handy in a pinch? Hell ya.

Good replys - Thanks.
It would be a waste.
A 6.5x8 piece would weigh upwards of 90 lbs.
You would net a 14 lb artifact from it but 75 lbs would be in the chip pan.
The old Monarch would do it tho.
I would need a better boring bar....
I knew Discount Steel now Coremark and drove the 5 miles to look .
Went to Goodin Co.to see about some schedule 160 pipe but the heaviest they sell is 80.
Then to Garelicks.
Knew Benny Garelick himself when he was still around - if that name rings a bell to anyone here.
Checked Midwest too.
Then I asked here.
Time for plan B.

Where would a guy go to buy a piece of DOM tubing 6.5 OD - 4" ID
Needs to be weldable so 1018 or some such.
I need to make a sleeve like my crude drawing.
Can it be oversize on the OD or under on the ID? I may have something but Im not home right now to check. I have a piece of heavy wall seamless but Id need to measure it as I cant remember the exact size or what the material was.

Last edited:
Good replys - Thanks.
It would be a waste.
A 6.5x8 piece would weigh upwards of 90 lbs.
You would net a 14 lb artifact from it but 75 lbs would be in the chip pan.
The old Monarch would do it tho.
I would need a better boring bar....
I knew Discount Steel now Coremark and drove the 5 miles to look .
Went to Goodin Co.to see about some schedule 160 pipe but the heaviest they sell is 80.
Then to Garelicks.
Knew Benny Garelick himself when he was still around - if that name rings a bell to anyone here.
Checked Midwest too.
Then I asked here.
Time for plan B.
"Waste" ???
Time is being wasted, material cost is not the end all.

Exactly. You can find solid anywhere, finding tubing that thick of wall is pretty darn hard, especially when its only 8" long.
only difference is 75# to 46.6773# from solid to 6.5" tube 8" long and a 1.25" wall. only makes a 4" slug down the middle that is pretty light. 28# of scrap, is crap all at $1/lb
finding a tube that dimension might be $160 as compared to solid at half that cost.

Can it be oversize on the OD or under on the ID? I may have something but Im not home right now to check. I have a piece of heavy wall seamless but Id need to measure it as I cant remember the exact size or what the material was.
I looked today and what I have is roughly 7"OD with a roughly 1.5" wall but unfortunately the piece I used years ago must have been the portion with the steel grade stenciled on it and its been too long for me to remember what that material was. I normally rewrite that information on stuff in that situation but must have missed that one. I do not believe that this was DOM either.

Back