What's new
What's new

Dom tubing - where to buy?

Industrialtube.com, Cincinnati, $379 for 4 pieces, 6.75 OD, 1.25" wall, 5.5" long, delivered. (A519-1026).
They've got lots of sizes of hot rolled seamless, and will cut and ship !

Cranes, tractors, excavators and other heavy equipment manufacturers use a lot of heavy wall tubing. I used to make a support tube by the 100s 5”odx2”idx18.5” . Every piece of drop under 18.5 -.015” was scrap. You can check your area for manufacturers that my have good drops.
Coring isn’t bad for an inch or so. This is 6” 4140
Good luck

Attachments

• F6BF2E70-6A59-45D0-B3BD-D00C29E4B8B9.jpeg
    F6BF2E70-6A59-45D0-B3BD-D00C29E4B8B9.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 9
Used to be a place in Dallas, TX that dealt in drops and short ends.

C'mon you guys, where the fun in that ? Get a honkin big piece of steel, get it red-hot, bash a bar through the middle, beat the holy hell out of it about fifty times. THAT'S machinin' !

Actually, at one point I could run down to Hawley Forge and get a quicky like that done for a reasonable price. For this job it's not necessary but a forged part is nice in a high-strength application. Are there still places like that ? Not anywhere near SF, I bet. I can do it in China easy.

You got some reshorin' to do, hope you are successful talking to the SF building department :D

If welding is an option you could by two pieces of DOM and a piece of round bar. Metals Supermarket or online places sell by the inch. Price per pound is high, but in small quantities there usually are no good deals.

Yeah, no kidding. If you ever need something shorter than a full bar, EMJ is not the place to get it..................

I'd just go with a solid hunk of 1018 or 1045 and be done with it............material will be WAY cheaper........DOM and seamless in the last year has been crazy expensive(at least in the sizes I buy)
How about 3 5/8" 3/8 wall at only 96.85 / ft.! 18.50 a year ago!

C'mon you guys, where the fun in that ? Get a honkin big piece of steel, get it red-hot, bash a bar through the middle, beat the holy hell out of it about fifty times. THAT'S machinin' !

Actually, at one point I could run down to Hawley Forge and get a quicky like that done for a reasonable price. For this job it's not necessary but a forged part is nice in a high-strength application. Are there still places like that ? Not anywhere near SF, I bet. I can do it in China easy.

You got some reshorin' to do, hope you are successful talking to the SF building department :D
Scott forge.

Wire EDM? Easy enough to make from an old Marshall guitar amp (the one that goes to 11), aquarium, and old sewing machine parts and fishing reels.

Scott forge.

edit: that was cute. Had to hop around a little to get it but worth the effort.

If anyone knows anyone at google, tell them they can take their "upgrade your browser" notice and jam it up their ass.

Will those guys do just a few strange small parts ? Nice thing about Hawley was they were happy to bonk this or bonk out that, just a few pieces, "sure we can do that. Come back next wednesday" .... and usually they did a better job than I asked for, since they knew their stuff. Cool place.

I guess Berkeley Forge is now gone too ? How you gonna "reshore" when you keep putting places with a hundred years experience and a massive investment in equipment out of business ?

Last edited:
edit: that was cute. Had to hop around a little to get it but worth the effort.

If anyone knows anyone at google, tell them they can take their "upgrade your browser" notice and jam it up their ass.

Will those guys do just a few strange small parts ? Nice thing about Hawley was they were happy to bonk this or bonk out that, just a few pieces, "sure we can do that. Come back next wednesday" .... and usually they did a better job than I asked for, since they knew their stuff. Cool place.

I guess Berkeley Forge is now gone too ? How you gonna "reshore" when you keep putting places with a hundred years experience and a massive investment in equipment out of business ?
No doubt on the reshore. The EPA closed our last lead mine a while back. No more lead, how we going to make bullets for Ukraine?

No doubt on the reshore. The EPA closed our last lead mine a while back. No more lead,

I never made anything out of lead so no crying on that one but 8620 and 9310 forgings, did a fair amount. The multiple foundries, forging shops, heat treaters, and metals suppliers (plus smaller services like thread grinding, anodizing, polishing, sawing, plating and so on ...) that are all gone, that'd make life a beetch.

Manufacturing ain't some little thing where you can bring in ten buses of H1B's from India, give them a desk and a cheap laptop and away you go ...

The part in question is just 1018. I could knock that part out in about 1.5 hours from solid. 1018 is just not that expensive and it cuts easy. Not sure why everyone is suggesting to do it the hard way.

Chrome plating shop by me says they won't allow any new ones of those either. As they wink out of existence that will be the end of them.
Hurray! Another industry dead, and fewer resources for all. Um......I'm guessing they'll open a nail salon and an insurance agency where is used to sit.

Back