What's new
What's new

Doosan DNM owners

The NGC definitely shows you the actual feed. And it is very fast. It's definitely faster than Mazak VTC, or Hyundai F500. I'd venture it's also probably faster than the Doosan. Is it more rigid, no.

how much money you wanna lose? because i can prove it to you.
hell, even the haas apps guys will admit that it doesnt display actual feed, only whats programmed plus/minus what you set your overrides to. i mean for fucks sake, program a contour with straight lines and some tight corners at 100 ipm, and look at the feed speed as its 'cutting'. it will display 100 ipm even in sharp 90* corners. if you really think ANY machine can do that without slowing down even a tiny bit, you're higher than a fucking kite.

how much money you wanna lose? because i can prove it to you.
hell, even the haas apps guys will admit that it doesnt display actual feed, only whats programmed plus/minus what you set your overrides to. i mean for fucks sake, program a contour with straight lines and some tight corners at 100 ipm, and look at the feed speed as its 'cutting'. it will display 100 ipm even in sharp 90* corners. if you really think ANY machine can do that without slowing down even a tiny bit, you're higher than a fucking kite.

The Mazak does this as well. I see what you're alluding to. On the haas if you use G187 it will adjust the feed to make the corner and display accordingly I have my posts just set to output the G187 to everything and this is why I always see the feed fluctuating. On the Mazak its G61.1. Otherwise both machines will just tell you the programmed feed rate.

Actually I believe Fanuc will do this too unless you have nano smoothing, and look ahead turned on. Fanuc being different because on at least the 0i it is just always on. It never turns off and doesn't have to be commanded.

The Mazak does this as well. I see what you're alluding to. On the haas if you use G187 it will adjust the feed to make the corner and display accordingly I have my posts just set to output the G187 to everything and this is why I always see the feed fluctuating. On the Mazak its G61.1. Otherwise both machines will just tell you the programmed feed rate.

Actually I believe Fanuc will do this too unless you have nano smoothing, and look ahead turned on. Fanuc being different because on at least the 0i it is just always on. It never turns off and doesn't have to be commanded.

it has NOTHING to do with G187. the screen ONLY shows programmed speed +/- your override. you will not see it slow down/speed up as its going around corners unless they just changed it within the last few months.

it has NOTHING to do with G187. the screen ONLY shows programmed speed +/- your override. you will not see it slow down/speed up as its going around corners unless they just changed it within the last few months.

Mine absolutely does. Machine is a 2019 with software updated in 2021.

Those that have a Doosan DNM4500/5700/ Etc.

What do you like about the machine?

What do you dislike about the machine?

I'm looking at the S model

Just from a observation stand point, the cammed style tool changer I'm concern that for short ops the spindle will be waiting for the atc to catch up. More so with the 40atc that comes on the 5700S. I have a haas with the servo atc currently.

LockNut is giving good advice on cycle time reduction for the DNM. I used to work for Doosan, so I'm a little biased. I can tell you the machine is built with a long life in mind. Excellent parts stock, most are next day. Fanuc CNC, drives and motors, which are also well supported. A good value machine that will make you money.

A few things to think about. Doosan gives Thru-spindle-coolant as standard. It also gives a full contact spindle as standard (sometimes called "Big-Plus). The new Fanuc 0i-M Plus cnc has 2 meg memory standard and very nice 15" display. Macros are standard. Order a tool setter and a spindle probe and you're ready to rock.

Tough to beat for the money.

The controls are Oi-F Plus at a minimum and we are moving to the iHMI F-Plus. Most memory you can get on that control is 2 meg. But Fanuc has a Memory card option that is standard on these controls that allows using a card as standard memory. Search, edit, program restart are all available from the card. Can use up to a 4 Gig card. I have always agreed with the memory gripe and even here Fanuc took the crappy way out. But this option does work great even if it is a trip around the block to get there. Pre-staging a tool vertical is either an M Code or a keep rely, I forget at the moment.

AICC is on all the time but is just a parameter change and it starts at either the last setting on startup or will start at a certain R value, again a parameter change. Top feedrate is 590 IPM and I have cut aluminum at 400 IPM and got there on dynamic milling paths. The control shows both programmed feed rate and actual. And just because a control can be programmed at 800 some IPM doesn't mean you will be using it, especially with todays programming methods. If the accel/decel isn't tuned, you will be breaking tools or scrapping parts.

I'm not going to get into the Haas/Doosan comparison argument. We surpassed Haas long ago and I will leave it at that. If you look at what's standard on a Doosan, there is no argument as far as options go. If we are talking Fanuc, we do the best we can with what Fanuc provides.

5700s (what I'm looking at) is 800ipm cutting feed rate.

I currently own a 1.5 year old Haas. The feed rate that is displayed is not the actual feed rate.

5700s (what I'm looking at) is 800ipm cutting feed rate.

I currently own a 1.5 year old Haas. The feed rate that is displayed is not the actual feed rate.

Yes, the S series does elevate the performance. Comes with the Fanuc FAST 1 package. Better look ahead, nano smoothing and jerk control along with a host of other things. Oh, a 15K spindle too, of course with Big Plus spindle interface.

Yes, the S series does elevate the performance. Comes with the Fanuc FAST 1 package. Better look ahead, nano smoothing and jerk control along with a host of other things. Oh, a 15K spindle too, of course with Big Plus spindle interface.

we've had nothing but great experience with our 5700s and 2 4500's, which is a LOT more that can be said for all our HASS machines.

I own both. The Doosan will out perform a Haas in rigidity, accuracy, and cut quality. Sure the Haas will tool change a bit faster and rigid tap quicker. The Doosan is just built better. More mass. More power. Everything is just beefier..................and in another 10-20 years Fanuc will still support your control unlike Haas(if it makes it 10-20 yrs). A Haas has it's place, just not in the same class as the DNM...............

We installed a DNM 5700 in April of 2018. We have not had one issue with it. Ours came with the Renishaw probe package which is super easy to use. Fanuc memory isn’t enough (of course). The only thing which I find annoying is the ATC. Indexing one tool at a time. Usually not a problem if you cutting time is more than 8 seconds. But less than that, you may be waiting a lot.

Locknut, can I upgrade the memory on my 0i-MF on my 2017 DNM5700 from 512k to something higher without it costing a fortune? I am so sick of cutting up programs or having to run from the PCMCIA card when trial machining. Would love to get 2mb if it's not insanely expensive.

Locknut, can I upgrade the memory on my 0i-MF on my 2017 DNM5700 from 512k to something higher without it costing a fortune? I am so sick of cutting up programs or having to run from the PCMCIA card when trial machining. Would love to get 2mb if it's not insanely expensive.

Whats so bad from running from the PCMCIA card?

Hmmm. My 14 yo DMU60 (heidenhain) has a 20gb disk. My 1 yo Haas has a 32gb flash which was an option but not unresonable. Things like network attachment, memory, non-volatile storage - these are easy computer parts of the machine, and ought to keep up.

As for real cutting speed vs displayed cutting speed - how would you measure that?

(I'm NOT arguing that the NGC is a match for the HH, just wondering how you would know a machine is only cutting say 150ipm when you have programmed 175ipm?)

Hmmm. My 14 yo DMU60 (heidenhain) has a 20gb disk. My 1 yo Haas has a 32gb flash which was an option but not unresonable. Things like network attachment, memory, non-volatile storage - these are easy computer parts of the machine, and ought to keep up.

As for real cutting speed vs displayed cutting speed - how would you measure that?

(I'm NOT arguing that the NGC is a match for the HH, just wondering how you would know a machine is only cutting say 150ipm when you have programmed 175ipm?)

look at toolpath length in cam, programmed speed and actual cutting time. maths.
just about every control other than haas that i've seen displays actual cutting speed. meaning it shows you when it slows down in turns and speeds back up in straighter areas. haas doesnt do that, or at least it didnt until just a few months ago apparently.

Whats so bad from running from the PCMCIA card?

For me the issue is when trial machining. I do mostly prototype and short run so I am doing this a lot. I am self taught and when running from DNC I have it look at the PCMCIA card then select the program to DNC then MEM and cycle start.

When I am trial machining all my programs are set up with each tool as stand alone. So basically just a few start lines with the tool change and other parameters so I can start at the beginning of any operation. This takes less than 1k for even big programs and my CAM is set to do it automatically now. So I will like make a feature undersize by altering the tool size in the wear table. Run it, measure, and creep up until I get my exact number by rerunning the tool. Then make the change so it's set there for the run.

When it's in CNC memory this is easy. Just hit EDIT, scroll to the start spot operation, switch to MEM and hit cycle start a few times.

In DNC it will not let me go into EDIT and scroll through to a start spot. I have to run the whole program from the beginning. At least I haven't found how to do it different yet but I am self taught and there is no one around to say "just do this".

So DNC, as I know how to do it now, from the PCMCIA card works great to just run a program, but I can't trial machine. Usually I end up cutting up my big programs into operations until I get it sorted out then I can switch to DNC to run. It's PITA so would love some more memory if it isn't one of those "2mb is $2,500" things.

Imagine shipping anything with a computer in it with 512 kilobytes of memory in 2017.

My fucking $350 wrist watch from Apple that will be disposed of in 18 months because it will be beat to shit and outdated ships with literally 4 million times the memory of an $80,000 machine tool that is destined to be in service for at least a decade.

Fuck Fanuc. Nobody should put up with their outdated bullshit anymore. Pathetic!

Back