What's new
What's new

Doosan DNM owners

look at toolpath length in cam, programmed speed and actual cutting time. maths.
just about every control other than haas that i've seen displays actual cutting speed. meaning it shows you when it slows down in turns and speeds back up in straighter areas. haas doesnt do that, or at least it didnt until just a few months ago apparently.

I don't get why this is important. The Speedio shows actual cutting speed, but like... who the hell can actually keep up with the digits flying by enough for this to matter one little bit?

The controls are Oi-F Plus at a minimum and we are moving to the iHMI F-Plus. Most memory you can get on that control is 2 meg. But Fanuc has a Memory card option that is standard on these controls that allows using a card as standard memory. Search, edit, program restart are all available from the card. Can use up to a 4 Gig card. I have always agreed with the memory gripe and even here Fanuc took the crappy way out. But this option does work great even if it is a trip around the block to get there. Pre-staging a tool vertical is either an M Code or a keep rely, I forget at the moment.

AICC is on all the time but is just a parameter change and it starts at either the last setting on startup or will start at a certain R value, again a parameter change. Top feedrate is 590 IPM and I have cut aluminum at 400 IPM and got there on dynamic milling paths. The control shows both programmed feed rate and actual. And just because a control can be programmed at 800 some IPM doesn't mean you will be using it, especially with todays programming methods. If the accel/decel isn't tuned, you will be breaking tools or scrapping parts.

I'm not going to get into the Haas/Doosan comparison argument. We surpassed Haas long ago and I will leave it at that. If you look at what's standard on a Doosan, there is no argument as far as options go. If we are talking Fanuc, we do the best we can with what Fanuc provides.

I have searched for this parameter but couldnt find it, you wouldnt happen to know it offhand, would you? Fanuc OiMD

Unless you are making the tiniest of aluminum nick-nacks, anyone who thinks Haas compares to Doosan is delusional......

I don't get why this is important. The Speedio shows actual cutting speed, but like... who the hell can actually keep up with the digits flying by enough for this to matter one little bit?

its important because a lot of haas people who dont know any better think their machine is cutting at 500, 800 or whatever speed because thats what it shows on the screen when it actually isnt... then going on forums and claiming their haas is badass or is better than machine xyz etc. perpetuates false information.

I actually like my VF2...............first mill I owned. Thought it was just an average VMC the first few years I owned it. But always fought finish issues, vibration, thermal growth. Learned ways around it as all Haas owners have to do...........then got my DNM and then I remembered what a mill should be.............The first big job I ran on it I went through about a 1/3 less tooling that the identical job ran on the Haas.............piles of 1045 and it just hummed along like nothing...............the Haas vibrated, ate tooling and just had to be babysat.......................Now I mainly keep those easy aluminum jobs on the VF2.................

I......................Now I mainly keep those easy aluminum jobs on the VF2.................

Until about a week ago, when something new came in the big door. Now the VF-2 has to compete for your attention with the S500. Now the VF2 will look unable to cut steel effectively or look incredibly slow next to the S500. ;)

Until about a week ago, when something new came in the big door. Now the VF-2 has to compete for your attention with the S500. Now the VF2 will look unable to cut steel effectively or look incredibly slow next to the S500. ;)

its really amazing how big of a difference there is between haas and higher quality machines. once you play with them and really see how much better things can be, you'll never want to go back.

its important because a lot of haas people who dont know any better think their machine is cutting at 500, 800 or whatever speed because thats what it shows on the screen when it actually isnt... then going on forums and claiming their haas is badass or is better than machine xyz etc. perpetuates false information.

Oh, everyone knows you can't trust feed rates shown in the control, and more importantly... they don't matter. The only tool for determining such things is a stopwatch. Everything else is bullshit.

Oh, everyone knows you can't trust feed rates shown in the control, and more importantly... they don't matter. The only tool for determining such things is a stopwatch. Everything else is bullshit.

clearly not everyone knows that... lol.
i agree with you that in the real world, for production they dont really matter, but internet know it alls for some reason try to use that as a measure of how good a machine is or isnt.

clearly not everyone knows that... lol.
i agree with you that in the real world, for production they dont really matter, but internet know it alls for some reason try to use that as a measure of how good a machine is or isnt.

Meh, if you're a machinist who can't grock/acknowledge the basic physics of machine acceleration? I sorta don't give a fuck what your opinion is.

Meh, if you're a machinist who can't grock/acknowledge the basic physics of machine acceleration? I sorta don't give a fuck what your opinion is.

you're not wrong! guess i'm just trying to educate those who dont know, i find it annoying when people talk about stuff they dont know like they do know.

Locknut, can I upgrade the memory on my 0i-MF on my 2017 DNM5700 from 512k to something higher without it costing a fortune? I am so sick of cutting up programs or having to run from the PCMCIA card when trial machining. Would love to get 2mb if it's not insanely expensive.

Yes. Call your distributor. It's not a difficult upgrade and I don't think it's too much. They can quote you. It's well worth it.

It's just an M Code.

LockNut again is correct.

M code controlled. There's also a control for it in the ATC control panel in the Custom 1, so you can "toggle" with M codes, or have it constantly in "battery" waiting for an M6 T-change. There might also be a Keeper Relay but I dislike changing those unless absolutely necessary.

Imagine shipping anything with a computer in it with 512 kilobytes of memory in 2017.

My fucking $350 wrist watch from Apple that will be disposed of in 18 months because it will be beat to shit and outdated ships with literally 4 million times the memory of an $80,000 machine tool that is destined to be in service for at least a decade.

Fuck Fanuc. Nobody should put up with their outdated bullshit anymore. Pathetic!

16GB memory for an apple watch...

.Paper_tape_reader_on_a_CNC_control_001 (1).jpg

" > That's 41 million meters of tape !"

" > who would ever do that ??? "

" > Stoooopid apple "

" >_ "

Yeah but those old tape programs still work after massive EMP - nuclear high altitude explosion.

Fanuc - Cold War proof :cool:

you cracked the secret! thats why fanuc only has 512kb of memory, because inside the control is a tape reel and enclosure is only big enough for 512kb!

you cracked the secret! thats why fanuc only has 512kb of memory, because inside the control is a tape reel and enclosure is only big enough for 512kb!

And you can't Electromagnetic Massive Pulse / magnetically disrupt /atomic aerial explosion / tiny little holes punched into a paper tape , unlike decadent Americanski mid 1980's electronics and magnetic tape storage media.

Now that I think about it bubble memory seemed pretty bomb proof too... :scratchchin:

FANUC - Nuclear Armageddon "lite" ..., ..., - proof.

And of course having the tape survive will be so helpful after the EMP destroys the relays and vacuum tubes.... I guess we can train cockroaches to read the tape and nibble away the metal...

Back