What's new
What's new

Doosan DNM owners

And of course having the tape survive will be so helpful after the EMP destroys the relays and vacuum tubes.... I guess we can train cockroaches to read the tape and nibble away the metal...

Au contraire ~ As you probably know the relays and vacuum tubes survive that pretty well vs. integrated circuits / fragile memory schemes. [+ I'm looking at you flash memory ].

In the 1980s a Russian fighter had to make an impromptu landing in Japan, (of course the Americans examined the aircraft inside and out ) and discovered they were using vacuum tubes, + other old school robust very "Chunky" electronics in a modern way as part of their avionics and basic core systems. Of course the Americans thought how "Backwards" until they twigged to the fact these systems would NOT be affected by aerial (nuke-induced) EMP(s). Quite deliberate not antiquated. Truly nuclear combat capable.

In the mid 1980's it was a concerning puzzle that all our tanks and planes [ using more modern vulnerable digital circuitry ] could be disabled / buggered up due to EMPs. ~ Not sure that a good solution for that was ever found ? - Growing up 4 miles from NATO head quarters during that time - this was not an unusual topic for discussion*.

I guess we can train cockroaches to read the tape and nibble away the metal...

lol.

Probably someone somewhere in a lab is doing that right now. + training dung beetles in additive manufacturing.

Tax dollars at work.

"When the balloon goes up and need replacement aircraft parts - we got you covered "

* Nowadays the "Threat" is more about if your industry 4.0 machines can be hacked from seven thousand miles away.

~ Paper punch tape - hard to hack.

Back to the topic of the thread. I could buy one of those Doosans. Much like years ago, I could have bought a VF3 or better yet, the Mori version before it became the Ecomill. A good basic 3 axis C-Frame mill that does everything slightly better than adequate for general job shop purposes. I really like Okuma's and sold many of the MB japanese version of the Genos, but Okuma's are expensive to fix and there is an issue with a small brige in getting chips out of the way, you just don't see in a more open C-Frame.

Buy the damn mill.

:)

Happy Easter.

For me the issue is when trial machining. I do mostly prototype and short run so I am doing this a lot. I am self taught and when running from DNC I have it look at the PCMCIA card then select the program to DNC then MEM and cycle start.

When I am trial machining all my programs are set up with each tool as stand alone. So basically just a few start lines with the tool change and other parameters so I can start at the beginning of any operation. This takes less than 1k for even big programs and my CAM is set to do it automatically now. So I will like make a feature undersize by altering the tool size in the wear table. Run it, measure, and creep up until I get my exact number by rerunning the tool. Then make the change so it's set there for the run.

When it's in CNC memory this is easy. Just hit EDIT, scroll to the start spot operation, switch to MEM and hit cycle start a few times.

In DNC it will not let me go into EDIT and scroll through to a start spot. I have to run the whole program from the beginning. At least I haven't found how to do it different yet but I am self taught and there is no one around to say "just do this".

So DNC, as I know how to do it now, from the PCMCIA card works great to just run a program, but I can't trial machine. Usually I end up cutting up my big programs into operations until I get it sorted out then I can switch to DNC to run. It's PITA so would love some more memory if it isn't one of those "2mb is $2,500" things.

Jaxian,
Your machine already has the capability to run programs from the card as if it was internal memory. From Fanuc, purchase the MEM Card software. It's about $100 and allows you to run programs from the card with full edit, search, restart and save functions. This is a little known option on Fanuc controls and well worth the money. Increasing your machine from 512K to 2 Meg will be over $300 but still doesn't allow very large programs. Running from a card allows 4 Gig max program size.

Paul

I have searched for this parameter but couldnt find it, you wouldnt happen to know it offhand, would you? Fanuc OiMD

Unless you are making the tiniest of aluminum nick-nacks, anyone who thinks Haas compares to Doosan is delusional......

Parameter #11687 sets the R level of AICC at startup. #13634 holds the current value if anyone wants to know that.

Paul

LoL @ Fanuc for still playing the memory game.Fuktards.
As a Haas fanboy since 1996, and recently seeing a 5700 in person. What a difference! Never cut anything on it, but doesn't seem to be in the same ballpark. Tried to rough some Ti on my VF3. hahahahahahahahahahahahah Couldn't keep an endmill in it.
Getting into some premium European makes with Heidenhain is also a revaluation. +/- .004mm over a 24 hr running cycle, a Haas will NOT do

What’s the reason for those to go with the standard 4500/5700 vs S model?

12k spindle has 4 bearings vs 2 on the 15k. We all will bump a spindle in our life time (I’ve done it my self in z, slow). Just concern able spindle durability between them. Both are ceramic.

Back