What's new
What's new

Drawing/Model discrepancies disrupting our schedule

I'm seeing videos going back at least five years. This isn't coming next. It's been here. It's not widely used but, it's here. This is the next thing people will get to push back on.

Yeah this has been around for longer than 5 years,
re-read the post, what I meant is its imbedded into the CAD model, and transferable, not just in Siemens.
So when a guy using Rhino (spline based software) saves out a file format capable for me to open in Solidworks (Parasolid Based software)
when he saves it out as a Parasold, STEP, IGES....that not only is the geometry converted and saved, but all you see in the video you posted also, all the print GD&T.

re-read the post, what I meant is its imbedded into the CAD model, and transferable, not just in Siemens.
So when a guy using Rhino (spline based software) saves out a file format capable for me to open in Solidworks (Parasolid Based software)
when he saves it out as a Parasold, STEP, IGES....that not only is the geometry converted and saved, but all you see in the video you posted also, all the print GD&T.

Yes, in some cases it can be exported as dumb curves, but that is missing half of the potential for it. I can have featurecam import and display PMI on a model from NX for example, but it can't do anything with it, it's purely visual.

One of the big promises of PMI is it being automatically interpreted and embedded in manufacturing data as well as just being a visual instruction. Not there yet.

I want to say that I saw something promised in Catia V6 but was still firmly using V5.

I didn't know how long it had been in NX until searching for it yesterday. I've been actively avoiding the use of UGhh(NX) for 20 years. I managed to stay away except for two short involvements and escaped before having to really deal with it.

I assumed they had (or planned) some path to an internet-neutral 3D format that they could export the files with--similar to PDF. Doesn't surprise me that Siemens (or Dassault) thinks the world should revolve around them.

Thread revival but I thought I would throw in my 2c.

At our place (major aerospace corp), the print is the master, the model is the manufacturing aid only. We have part prints going back 70+ years. Models obviously did not exist then. We are not going to make a model for hundreds of thousands of legacy parts.

GD&T is how we operate. We do not assume stuff when it comes to what features are important on the print.

We also have times when the model is wrong and does not match the print. The print is the master. It tends to piss machinists off when we make parts to print and the damn print is also wrong. :wall:

Back