What's new
What's new

Drill press spindle bearings what order

animal12

Stainless
I have a import drill press that I got in a trade . It was already apart when I got it but all the pieces are there . There is a 6005Z bearing on top of the spindle housing & then on the lower part on the spindle there is a regular sealed 6007ZZ & a thrust bearing with 2 thrust bearing washers . Question is they guy I got it from doesn't remember which order the bearings went for the lower part of the spindle spindle . Both of the 6XXX bearings are pressed in , should the thrust bearing be installed first & then the 6007ZZ or the 6007ZZ first with the thrust bearing below the 6007ZZ . I'm thinking the latter with the thrust bearing at the bottom cause that way there can be some preload adjustment .
thanks
animal

I think you are on the right track to press in the 6007 and have the thrust at the bottom. None of the old american drill presses I have taken apart had thrust bearings.

Of course the thrust bearings go in first, up against the thrust faces in the housing. To do it arse about your only pressing your thrust washers up against the O.D of your deep groove ball bearings. Then you live with all the axial clearance of the deep groove ball.

Oldest trick for young players. Your thrust bearing would be a 51205. Oldest trick for young players. You do know the two thrust washers have different ID diameters? You cant assemble them arse about. One washer is a location fit on a 35mm shaft. The other is clearance so it sits in the housing. It easy to tell, one has a ground location fit. (Shaft) The clearance housing washer has a turned pre- heat treated finish.

Regards Phil.

Of course the thrust bearings go in first, up against the thrust faces in the housing. To do it arse about your only pressing your thrust washers up against the O.D of your deep groove ball bearings. Then you live with all the axial clearance of the deep groove ball.

Oldest trick for young players. Your thrust bearing would be a 51205. Oldest trick for young players. You do know the two thrust washers have different ID diameters? You cant assemble them arse about. One washer is a location fit on a 35mm shaft. The other is clearance so it sits in the housing. It easy to tell, one has a ground location fit. (Shaft) The clearance housing washer has a turned pre- heat treated finish.

Regards Phil.
Phil, nice to see you back. We've missed you! For all the new members Mactool is a professional machine rebuilder. I consider him a really good friend.

I agree with what machtool wrote but I would look close at the inside of the spindle housing to what the bottom of the bore looks like. Is it easy to tell if it is set up for one way or the other? Same with the spindle itself, does the thrust bearing locate on the spindle shaft best in one location over the other? Granted this an import of unknown quality so there may not be any difference either way. Pics of all the parts laid out might help.

Thanks folks I have to look if I have all the parts at this location . I think the thrust bearing is at my old place . We've been snowed for a few days , hopefully we will be able to get out tomorrow & make sure I have all the pieces with me .
thanks
animal

Back to the drill press . So I'm guessing that the upper bearing goes in the outer quill first & then the thrust bearing with the race with the smaller id hole going on last with the spindle nut last ? What kind of grease , some hi-pressure grease ? & How tight do I tighten the quill nut ?
thanks
animal

Back