What's new
What's new

Early New Haven Mfg. Co. planer

Robert, do know the dates of the three lathe ads? I am trying to get a better date on the New Haven we have at Knight Foundry. The first of the three pictures looks most similar, I think more so than anything shown in Cope's American Lathe Builders: 1810-1910.

David

Your New Haven lathe at the Knight Foundry is the same vintage as my New Haven lathe. They both match the ads.
The ads are not dated, but based on all my info and the location of the office in the ads (30 Whitney Ave.),
the date would be mid to later 1860's. New Haven started using 30 Whitney as the office in 1865.

Rob

The first of the three pictures looks most similar.

David

Don't be fooled by the other picture that shows the 36" swing lathe.
It is the same illustration as the other ad, which is from the early 1860's (about 1859 to 1864).
They used the same illustration and doctored it up to show the new style apron.
I suspect the 36" swing looked very much like the 30" swing.

Rob

Attachments

• New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860's 2b.jpg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860's 2b.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 29
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860's 3g (2).jpg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860's 3g (2).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 34
Don't be fooled by the other picture that shows the 36" swing lathe.
It is the same illustration as the other ad, which is from the early 1860's (about 1859 to 1864).
They used the same illustration and doctored it up to show the new style apron.
I suspect the 36" swing looked very much like the 30" swing.

Rob

Thank you very much! I just went through this whole thread for the first time. When it first started I must have seen the first few posts were about the planer and then didn't look at it again; if I had it would have clarified the age of our New Haven lathe about two years earlier.

So this fits. Years ago it would be stated with great certainty that our lathe was from 1850. As it turned out no one seemed to know the basis for this and we decided that was simply wrong. Only problem was the only dated illustrations I could find were circa 1880's and later, mainly from Cope. Then we did come in to possession of a smaller and clearly older New Haven. It had a rise and fall cross slide. As I recall rather than half nuts there is a nut fixed to the lead screw that can be latched or unlatched from the carriage, little uncertain of this. This machine is in storage and not readily accessible.

The rest of the story about our New Haven is that it was originally in a shop in San Francisco and Knight Foundry bought it used when they started in the early 1870's. The basis of this story may be lost in the sands of time.

One cosmetic difference seems to be that in the circa 1880's lathes the maker's name is cast into the front of the headstock; on ours and at least one of the ones shown earlier in this thread, it's on the back of the tailstock.

My notes show I measured the swing on ours at 30 inches; the bed is 24 feet long. The illustration shows a "compound like object" mounted on the headstock end of the front saddle wing. A year or so ago I found what I believe to be the one for our New Haven sitting on a nearby work bench. I haven't tried mounting it.

Ours has powered cross feed driven by a keyway in the lead screw. Power longitudinal feed is done by engaging the half nuts, just like the 12" Atlas!

David

The illustration shows a "compound like object" mounted on the headstock end of the front saddle wing.

VERY common "accessory" in the day. Now for most period lathes this accessory is "mostly lost."

Not that something could be "rigged up."

Using the "horns" of the front saddle as the mounting point for a small compound allowed the turning of larger objects that would fit inside the horn and within reach of the compound. Pulleys and such.

Using the compound in this manner resulted in some "unbalanced" forces across the saddle and might limit the speed or depth of cut, but a careful machinist could compensate.

Joe in NH

So this fits. Years ago it would be stated with great certainty that our lathe was from 1850. As it turned out no one seemed to know the basis for this and we decided that was simply wrong. Only problem was the only dated illustrations I could find were circa 1880's and later, mainly from Cope.

Then we did come in to possession of a smaller and clearly older New Haven. It had a rise and fall cross slide. As I recall rather than half nuts there is a nut fixed to the lead screw that can be latched or unlatched from the carriage, little uncertain of this. This machine is in storage and not readily accessible.

One cosmetic difference seems to be that in the circa 1880's lathes the maker's name is cast into the front of the headstock; on ours and at least one of the ones shown earlier in this thread, it's on the back of the tailstock.

My notes show I measured the swing on ours at 30 inches; the bed is 24 feet long.

The illustration shows a "compound like object" mounted on the headstock end of the front saddle wing. A year or so ago I found what I believe to be the one for our New Haven sitting on a nearby work bench. I haven't tried mounting it.

Ours has powered cross feed driven by a keyway in the lead screw. Power longitudinal feed is done by engaging the half nuts, just like the 12" Atlas!

David

I remember seeing a number of years ago about the Knight Foundry New Haven lathe being from the 1850's. I knew that was wrong.

I would very much like to see any pictures of this other New Haven lathe that is in storage.
It sounds interesting and possibly very early.
I have seen the rise and fall on New Haven lathes, but the lead screw with a fixed nut would make it early.
They had the rise and fall into the 1860's, but with more modern aprons.
This would be a lathe with no apron or the modern apron as we know it.

Yes, the later New Haven lathes had the makers name on the headstock.
The early ones had it on the tailstock.
Also the early ones did not say "Makers" on it. The later ones did.

Are you sure about the 30" swing? Mine is also a 30" swing with 11' centers.
Yours looks larger than mine. You can see pictures of mine in posts #21 and #22 in this thread.
Mine sits on higher legs.
Measure it from this tailstock and at this angle. See attached picture.
If yours is a 30" swing, then it is probably a few years newer than mine.

Yes, the auxiliary tool post. Quite common for large swing lathes of that period.
I don't have one for my New Haven lathe. I have one for my David Pond lathe.
Here is one on a late 1860's Niles lathe. This one is built in and not removeable.
This was used when turning large diameter parts that would almost touch the bed ways and
would not fit in between, as Joe calls them, the saddle horns.
I would like to see a picture of that auxiliary tool post.

Mine has power cross feed too, with the outside gears on the apron.

Rob

Attachments

• Niles lathe 8.jpg
    Niles lathe 8.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 82
  • New Haven lathe Knight 12_LI.jpg
    New Haven lathe Knight 12_LI.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52
The smaller lathe that was donated to Knight's Foundry came from the Daniel Donnelly Foundry - the first foundry to exist in Sutter Creek. I guess it may have survived the fire that put Donnelly's out of business in the 1890s. Dan Donnelly died in 1890 from drowning, but the old fire insurance maps show it stayed in business a short time after his passing. Maybe someone knows more or can provide more details on Donnelly's Foundry. I'm going off memory and hope I have most of the story right.

Anyhow, the lathe in storage is a 1860s, typical engine lathe for the time, about 14" swing. I had known about it for some years, as it was on display at a CPA Office in Sutter Creek, but my friend, and life-long Sutter Creeker, Ed Arata, had a good relationship with the owner of the building and he was able to convince her to donate it Knight's Foundry. Hopefully Knight's will actually do something with this lathe and not put it outside like they did their beautiful early Fitchburg lathe that is wasting away. Jake

New Haven Lathe -1.jpg

New Haven Lathe -2.jpg

New Haven Lathe -3.jpg

New Haven Lathe.jpg

I remember seeing a number of years ago about the Knight Foundry New Haven lathe being from the 1850's. I knew that was wrong.

I would very much like to see any pictures of this other New Haven lathe that is in storage.
I have seen the rise and fall on New Haven lathes, but the lead screw with a fixed nut would make it early.

Yours looks larger than mine. You can see pictures of mine in posts #21 and #22 in this thread.

Yes, the auxiliary tool post. Quite common for large swing lathes of that period.
Here is one on a late 1860's Niles lathe. This one is built in and not removeable.
This was used when turning large diameter parts that would almost touch the bed ways and

Rob

Yes, I'll remeasure the swing, I need to do that anyway. For others looking at your photograph and noticing the second tailstock, our New Haven has a very long bed (24 feet, this needs checking too.) At some point the foundry made a second headstock, carriage, tailstock and lead screw to be used at the far end of this long bed, getting two lathes out of one. The second headstock has a larger swing, 38 inches. Rather than a flat belt drive it has a rope drive.

Jake has provided good pictures of the smaller New Haven we now have which is good as ours is currently in "deep" storage. His third photograph shows what I take to be a nut that is in constant "mesh" with the lead screw and which can be attached to the carriage via that arm. Am I correct in this?

I need to look again but I think the Fitchburg lathe Jake mentions has a dovetail as part of the casting on the headstock end of the front saddle wing which would have taken a "compound like object." Neither our New Haven nor our Blaisdell have a regular compound. Not sure about the Fitchburg.

David

The smaller lathe that was donated to Knight's Foundry came from the Daniel Donnelly Foundry - the first foundry to exist in Sutter Creek. I guess it may have survived the fire that put Donnelly's out of business in the 1890s. Dan Donnelly died in 1890 from drowning, but the old fire insurance maps show it stayed in business a short time after his passing. Maybe someone knows more or can provide more details on Donnelly's Foundry. I'm going off memory and hope I have most of the story right.

Anyhow, the lathe in storage is a 1860s, typical engine lathe for the time, about 14" swing. I had known about it for some years, as it was on display at a CPA Office in Sutter Creek, but my friend, and life-long Sutter Creeker, Ed Arata, had a good relationship with the owner of the building and he was able to convince her to donate it Knight's Foundry. Hopefully Knight's will actually do something with this lathe and not put it outside like they did their beautiful early Fitchburg lathe that is wasting away. Jake

View attachment 344756

View attachment 344757

View attachment 344758

View attachment 344759

It's my understanding that the Fitchburg was occupying space in the foundry's machine shop that Carl Borgh needed to expand into in building a sort of side room to the foundry room which is on the other side of the wall from the machine shop. Guessing this was in the 1980's. The Fitchburg went to the California State Railroad Museum. As far as I know it was stored outside. No idea what, if any, their plans were for it. It came back to the Sutter Creek area before the revival of Knight Foundry in early 2017. It was initially taken in by the Amador Sawmill and Mining Association (I think.)

Here's a machine that I'm sorry has been lost: A 1913 list of Knight Foundry machine shop equipment includes a "Hendey-Norton" lathe. This of course would have had Wendell Phillips Norton's eponymous quick change gear box. It would have been newer than our New Haven or Blaisdell. There's an undated photograph, guessing early 20th century, taken inside the machine shop. In it I can clearly see a bit of a lathe with a quick-change gearbox.

David

Jake has provided good pictures of the smaller New Haven we now have which is good as ours is currently in "deep" storage. His third photograph shows what I take to be a nut that is in constant "mesh" with the lead screw and which can be attached to the carriage via that arm. Am I correct in this?

Hello David, Yes, you are correct. The nut is is constant contact with the lead screw. It swings over to attach to the saddle and locks in via a bolt. Some lathes had the same feature, but from the front end of the lathe attaching to the apron instead of the back. Jake

Picture of my JS Wheeler with the front-end version of the lead screw and nut.

IMG_0952.jpg

I need to look again but I think the Fitchburg lathe Jake mentions has a dovetail as part of the casting on the headstock end of the front saddle wing which would have taken a "compound like object." Neither our New Haven nor our Blaisdell have a regular compound. Not sure about the Fitchburg.

Picture showing the New Haven. Jake

IMG_0599.jpg

And pictures showing the Knight Foundry made headstock, tailstock, and apron for the New Haven. They did a wonderful job on this!

IMG_8606.jpg

IMG_8607.jpg

As Jake has said, the smaller New Haven lathe in storage is 1860's.
It would be early 1860's, so a little earlier than the large one.
I have pictures of it that Jake had sent me.

Here is a sad one in California.
I wish it was not outside.
It is a mid 1850's New Haven Mfg. lathe.

Rob

Attachments

• New Haven lathe 27 (2).jpg
    New Haven lathe 27 (2).jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 46
  • New Haven lathe 28.jpg
    New Haven lathe 28.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 45
  • New Haven lathe 29.jpg
    New Haven lathe 29.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 47
  • New Haven lathe 30.jpg
    New Haven lathe 30.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 44
  • New Haven lathe 31.jpg
    New Haven lathe 31.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 39
Here is a late 1850's New Haven planer flyer.
It is interesting to note that all of the New Haven Mfg. flyers and
the Scranton & Parshley lathe flyer were all done by the same wood engraver, Lockwood Sanford.
Quite a well known wood engraver in New Haven.
He did engravings for Oliver Snow and D.L. Harris too.

Rob

Attachments

• new haven planer 63_LI.jpg
    new haven planer 63_LI.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 34

Rob

Checked the measurement of the swing on our New Haven this morning as requested. It is 15 inches by tape measure from the tailstock center to the nearest part of the bed as indicated in your marked-up photo.

David

Checked the measurement of the swing on our New Haven this morning as requested. It is 15 inches by tape measure from the tailstock center to the nearest part of the bed as indicated in your marked-up photo.

David

Okay. That would make the Knight New Haven lathe newer than mine. Say late 1860's.
Here are a couple of comparisons between my 30" New Haven lathe and the Knight 30" New Haven lathe.
Legs and side profile of the headstock.
I don't have a good view of the side of my headstock, so I am using the one from the 1855 New Haven lathe.
It has the same profile as mine.
I also show the side profile of a much newer New Haven lathe headstock.

Rob

Attachments

• New Haven lathe Knight 16.jpg
    New Haven lathe Knight 16.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 35
  • New Haven lathe mine 7.jpg
    New Haven lathe mine 7.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 34
  • New Haven lathe 30_LI.jpg
    New Haven lathe 30_LI.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 36
  • New Haven lathe Knight 3_LI.jpg
    New Haven lathe Knight 3_LI.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 34
  • New Haven lathe 48_LI.jpg
    New Haven lathe 48_LI.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 31
Some new, New Haven Manufacturing Co. broadsides or flyers to add to this thread.
New Haven Manufacturing Co. bench drill and lathes.
These flyers date to the mid 1850's.
Also a gear cutter. Dates from 1852 to 1854.

Rob

Attachments

• New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1850's 1.JPG
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1850's 1.JPG
    678.3 KB · Views: 11
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1850's 1b.JPG
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1850's 1b.JPG
    352.8 KB · Views: 11
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1850's 2.JPG
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1850's 2.JPG
    815.9 KB · Views: 9
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1850's 3e.JPG
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1850's 3e.JPG
    925.5 KB · Views: 12
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1852-1854 1.jpeg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1852-1854 1.jpeg
    653.7 KB · Views: 10
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1852-1854 2.jpeg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1852-1854 2.jpeg
    665.5 KB · Views: 11
Just received this picture today. I do not own the original. I am trying to get a good scan of it.
It is a large broadside. 23 5/8" x 37 3/4".
I date it to around 1860. I am not sure if all the cuts used in this date to 1860. I think some cuts are earlier.

Rob

Attachments

• New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1a.jpg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1a.jpg
    679.4 KB · Views: 14
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1b.jpg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1b.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 14
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1c.jpg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1c.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 11
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1d.jpg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1d.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 197 New Haven drill 1a.jpg
    197 New Haven drill 1a.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 198 New Haven drill 1a.jpg
    198 New Haven drill 1a.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 212a New Haven Mfg. drill.jpg
    212a New Haven Mfg. drill.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
This is the same cut of their 17" lathe that was shown earlier in this thread that was in an article dated 1860.

Rob

Attachments

• New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1e.jpg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. ad 1860 1e.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 6
  • New Haven Mfg. Co. 1860 1b.jpg
    New Haven Mfg. Co. 1860 1b.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 6

Back