What's new
What's new

Electric Forklift

fluke98

Plastic
I am trying to move an electric 36v forklift out of a warehouse, but the problem is there is no battery in the forlikft. It still runs. Can I hook up 3 12v batteries in series and move the forklift that way temporary or is there a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

That will work, we had a battery pack made up of deep cycle batteries we put on the forks which had a knob to adjust to 12-24-36 and 48 volts and always kept it charged for just such a deal.

Thank-you all for the prompt reply. Question for "bigais" :
1) What was the battery CCA rating that was used?

2) You mentioned "knob to adjust to 12-24-36 and 48 volts" does that mean the forklift had the option to run on 12V minimum and 48v maximun? Curious which forklift was this?

Thanks again!

Fluke, I don't recall what the cca was. The knob actually connected the different taps to get the corect voltage for the truck we were moving at the time. be it a 12v or 24 or whatever. The only common voltage trucks I am aware of were old yales that could run on either 30, 32 or 36 volt, but were resistor control. The battery cart I was referring to was made to use in our forklift shop using 4-12v batteries and was used to move new trucks off common carriers when they arrived from the factory.It has been in use for at least 25 years.

stone dead batteries
electric man lift
50 ft drop cord
oh ya
been there
"I want that stuff installed THIS weekend boy"
:rolleyes:

Yes you can do this. I do this on all my electric lifts that I have but, for a forklift the weight of the original battery is needed to obtain the lifting capacity of the forklift. Otherwise you might tip over.

Back