What's new
What's new

Electric Power steering

MarshSt

Aluminum
I have a project that will utilize the electric power steering unit off of a newer vehicle. I am searching all of the mfgs. (Delphi, NSK)web sites trying to get technical info on the unit (size, shaft details, current reqs..) I can't get past the basic general description. Any hints on how to research this?
Steve

KYB in Japan makes one that goes in the steering column. Beware, though: when you fit any kind of torque generator in the column, it must act through the steering gearbox--which will not have been designed to take it. Conventional hydraulic assist acts directly on the side-to-side axis and avoids any load on the steering gear itself.

Clever marketing: "Electronic" steering sounds trick, but it's more accurately termed "electromechanical." Plus, it's not free. The power used to steer is directly related to how hard it is to steer the car, period--regardless of the system used, the energy required is proportional. The higher the steering load, the bigger your wires have to be, and the more it will tax your engine to turn your (more expensive) alternator.

I haven't tried their web site yet. Hopefully it will post some tech info. This installation will be direct from steering wheel to tie rods. I am looking for info on how I can adjust output curve etc. I also like how they spin it as not having any parasitic loss since there isn't a power steering pump to run. Kind of like how electric cars don't polute since the electricity to charge them just comes out of the outlet like magic.
Thanks,
Steve

Why not build your own feedback and drive system?
There's not actually that much to it provided you remember for steering applications it must be safe to remove power at any point, although it can be a PITA to park.

Sorry I can't help with the details of electric power steering. Tony seems to believe there is some sort of clever marketing behind the idea. The motivation for these system is that they provide a real improvement to fuel economy. Take freeway driving, there is no needed assist driving 70 mph straight ahead. Tradition power steering pumps cranking away are just parasitic losses. Electric assist provides power assist only when you need it and exactly when you need it. Nothing more or less.

This also goes to show how much work goes into getting more fuel economy out of a vehicle. It's not an easy thing to do. Some believe putting a $10 magnet on your fuel line or other gizmo is going to help. Other believe there is a conspiracy with oil companies holding patents on 100 mpg powertrain designs. Believe me if these things were real, all the OEM's would be all over it a long time ago.

Back