What's new
What's new

Elliott Tool Grinder #5

Thanks michiganbuck for the bump. Yes, all the stuff in the box goes with the grinder. I honestly forgot about this thread over the weekend. I still need to get the tailstock out of the box and put it on the table for an additional pic. I should spread the contents of the box out as well so that people know what all is included. I will try to get that done today. I had someone contact us over the weekend on this machine but they are a dealer and I was kinda hoping this could go to someone on this forum that might have a use for it rather than ending up going to India or China.

A simple fixture would be a 3 or 4-jaw chuck so the machine could run drills and end mill ends, reamers would be sharpened between centers, special step drills and screw counterbores an easy task.
Likely just slipping off the belt would make a tilt work head, or swing around to end face the wheel, likely the wheel head can swing to wheel end face the wheel and change height to accommodate a wheel arc clearance above or below center..
The machine likely would pay for itself in a month.
May need to buy an AO cup wheel, and a diamond cup wheel for carbide drills, end mills, reamers, and the like...low priced on eBay.
Oh, it can also be a decent OD grinder and sharpen mill cuters.

Last edited:
Joe,
I have a few TC grinders and don't use them often now that I am retired.
I think they are highly underrated because many shop owners don't know how versatile they can be.

One might be used as a bench grinder, OD, end mills, reamers, drills, step tools, d drills. cut-off, rock & stone cutting, some an OK surface grinder, circular saws, Insert and solid mill cutters, circular knives, custom knives, Gun drill & reamers, tool bits, .
Many cutters cost 1/2 or 1/3 new price to sharpen / but may only take 10 minutes to do.
All of this ability in one small machine space.

Note: the very best circular saw is one that is circled (OD) ground and then eyeball ground to just tale to sharp. When working at the big shop carpenters would bring me the highest quality brand new circular saws to sharpen because this method made them that much better. An 18" saw might take a half hour when new and only need a true-up.

Gun drills and reamers are run between centers and might take 5 o 10 minutes each. Reamers the same.
*Still, a CNC 5axis Tc grinder can outperform a manual Tc grinder to make new or sharpen but requires big upfront to buy such a machine, all the needed wheels, bushings and holders

Buck

Last edited:
Bob - the time has come to part this beauty out. I will take $1200 for both the index plates - but wait! I will throw in the #5 Elliott Grinder with them!

Here is a pic of the accessories. Come on, I know you guys want this! You're going to keep thinking how much you would like to have it - and then BAM! It's gonna get snatched up - just like that sweet Summit lathe that you all wanted that I just sold and you're gonna be sad you missed out. It's only $1200. I know that's pocket change for you guys. The accessories alone are worth that much. Ask Milacron.

Attachments

• Elliott 1.jpg
    Elliott 1.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 77
I have made index plates with a Cici #2,, and the Elliot is just as capable.
You simply mount the index blank on where you want it mounted and someplace about the work head you mount something that has the number of teeth/spaces you wish, then come down over the to-be-made index with a wheel side width ground to the notch width you want.
I usually start such a grind a perhaps four places around the one-to-be-made so the notch depths start out and remain about even.
Simple straight tooth gears are made the same way...or mounting the existing gear alongside the one to be made and just grind to a blue-in to match.

You can also divide the diameter of the work head with a JoBlock stack and go about the circle to space the notches.

Tc grinders are amazing to the many kinds of work they can do.

Last edited:
For radial relief end grinding, you can put an angle on a shim stock (band stock works well)..You put that around the work head nose(where an index might go) set to ride along a finger stop mounted on the wheel head and ride along with the table lose to follow the angle in the shim.
(X) but with that set up you get axial relief only with radial relief just a circle grind so is not practical for all cutter types. I would pull my cross a tad and roll around to just bring some relief to a land/or sharp..

Last edited:
I have the same grinder. I agree that even in a shop that tries to just do cnc work as I do this machine brings a lot of useful capabilities. Just being able to neck a standard endmill is very useful.

Mine has the rotary work head too. I’m working on a radius fixture. Tool grinding shops are all gone around here.

A very simple fixture makes such a TC grinder an excellent drill sharpener. So having such a machine is a huge asset to most shops. End sharpening reamers is easy as pie, making a special cutter or a bearing shaft. Take a little off an insert corner and get double insert usage, use it like a bench grinder for off-hand grinding, might even be able to occasionally add a mag chuck and use it as an Ok surface grinder.
I have a Cinci #2 with a single-phase motor added so it can run single or with its original 3-phase motor.
I think I paid $1100 for my Cinci many years ago, and made that much back the first weekend.

Last edited:
What's an eight hour trip? Not sure where Cairo NY is. My youngest son was a West Point Cadet. I can't even say how many times I made that eight hour trip - it was in the dozens, and many times I would turn right around and drive eight hours back in the same day. Let me know if you change your mind.

I'm being taunted.... Yeah, a loaded truck isn't as much fun for an 8 hour stretch! Ha! What's it weigh? Can you load? On the one hand I don't know if it's worth the trip, on the other, the pile of dull horizontal mill cutters is growing....

Back