What's new
What's new

ELSR Box on Carriage leaking oil

Jdub63

Aluminum
I'm still working on my 57 square dial. I have re-assembled the carriage to the apron, but I'm getting an oil leak from the ELSR control box that's next to the oil galley. The box has a grease fitting, so I assumed that's how it was lubricated. When I took it apart, there was not a gasket between the control box and the carriage and I don't see one in the diagram. It looks like most of the oil is seeping from the felt washers on the ELSR control rod.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is it just part of the design?

Here are some pictures of the area. I've installed a short piece of rod to keep everything aligned during assembly.IMG_3239.JPEGIMG_3238.JPEGIMG_3237.JPEG

That zerk is actually for grease. "Leadscrew stop adjust mechanism" calls for Mobilux Grease #2 every 6 months. I just hit it with EP grease
Yes sir, I used grease in that zerk, but oil was leaking in from the carriage pump. I spoke with Monarch and they suggested the oil line gasket from the carriage to the saddle was leaking. I pulled it apart and the o-ring that was installed was too small, so I installed a new cork gasket and it fixed the leak. I'm also getting better flow to the saddle now too.

Thanks for the reply.

Jdub

Back