What's new
What's new

Employee scraps parts, brake tools and crashes the machine once a week

Do you buy tools and write broken ones off? Do you require them to get that tool if broken?
Same thing with material. This Friday one of my guys scrapped Hastelloy part which he was working two full days on (because he decided to repeat finishing path and moved Z somehow but refused to look at the rest distance on the screen to see that the tool going straight into the part on rapid speed) and this was cost me $1100 to get the material, two tools and two days of fixing and realigning the machine..
You write them off in your taxes as operating loss, cost of doing work, about fixing equipment
in same cases is not fixing but they can help in preventive maintenance, like way lube levels
greasing chucks, and conveyors, tool storage, replace air hoses. Question how often have employees meetings for suggestions in improving workflow and relations between workers
I have owners friends aerospace machining, one told me that employees were mean to him
because they want it to get paid every friday when he had to wait 30 days to get paid, said
should be same rule, some people don't get it, it comes with the territory, we decide being
doing this so accept it, i do, I only blame to myself, and say i would it stay working as employee
didn't have to go with all this, get pay check and not to worry about if fire broke in the place or
i am to get paid after a month of work, already happen, Most of owners go in the belief of makining
in our own, breaking the mold of being followers, of no dependency, but hoping to strike it rich
like some did.

Nobody here has the allowance for scrapped parts..........doesn't matter if they are $6 $600 $6000
The example I gave was fictious, but, is a real thing that happens.
You can train, guide, hold someone's hand, but the operator on his own still retains the responsibility to setup/operate the machine correctly, period.

The buck has to stop somewhere.........
Nothing is perfect in life, so deal and move on, like i said before, comes with the territory
don't want risks close shop and be an employee, you have a shop with a dream of makin
big or if already done it, owners bush employees, but let me tell you something, employees
made money for me, they do the heavy lifting when i am in the office or in the road looking
for potential customers, a shop with no employees is a hobby shop, big companies don't want
to deal, they fear you not going to deleiver if you decided to vacation or worst get sick for extended
period, unless you make own tiny product and e-bay selling, no company can grow without employees .

Agreed. And again. State laws vary. That is only the Federal statement. Some States don't allow It.
Also something of note, some employees fear they will have to pay a lawyer to fight against a employer, but that would be a civil law suit.
If your employer is doing something illegal federal or state level, you just report them and the state and feds lawyer is who takes them to court, not you, you will probably be called as a witness.
but every time I went as a witness, because it was a slam dunk they were doing something illegal, I never once was called, it didn't need to go that far.

what, that is not what I said. Its illegal no matter what, a state cant override it, and a signed contract cant override it, its federally illegal, that's it.
I would add, to anyone do some research on it as I have, or ask your business lawyer.
Instead of just posting your opinion as fact, narcissists'.
Narcissists? Really. It's not opinion. Yes you can not reduce someone's wage below the federal minimum wage. that is true. But you miss the point. If you sign a consent to pay back materials or tooling or repair cost it is a legally binding contract.. You still get paid your wage it is just garnished to pay for what you agreed to pay for that is covered in the consent form.. Just like if the state or federal government garnish your wages to pay back taxes.

Narcissists? Really. It's not opinion. Yes you can not reduce someone's wage below the federal minimum wage. that is true. But you miss the point. If you sign a consent to pay back materials or tooling or repair cost it is a legally binding contract.. You still get paid your wage it is just garnished to pay for what you agreed to pay for that is covered in the consent form.. Just like if the state or federal government garnish your wages to pay back taxes.
Correct,
the document in question had 2 different illegalities.
1- you cant deduct funds from a employees paycheck, UNLESS he signs consent.
2-you cant make an employee work without getting paid, this is the part I was referring to, not the above, that it doesn't matter if he signs a contract.
The same goes for overtime, I wanted to work overtime but the place wouldn't pay OT 1.5X, I was ok with that, just pay me regular time for my OT hours.
The CHRO reminded me that even if I consent and they consent, federally they cannot pay me regular time for OT hours, was told is was a Federal law, Lame!

Correct,
2-you cant make an employee work without getting paid, this is the part I was referring to, not the above, that it doesn't matter if he signs a contract.
The same goes for overtime, I wanted to work overtime but the place wouldn't pay OT 1.5X, I was ok with that, just pay me regular time for my OT hours.
The CHRO reminded me that even if I consent and they consent, federally they cannot pay me regular time for OT hours, was told is was a Federal law, Lame!
On that you are 100% correct. A person has to consent and legally it can not override federal law. Someone not paying you 1.5 for over 40 is lame and they should be out of business.

Reactions: VTM
Correct,
There was a signature required.

And I agree with your second point. But a minimal amount of re-write would remedy that with no problem.

And I agree with your second point. But a minimal amount of re-write would remedy that with no problem.
A lot depends on how something is written. I moved to my new job a little over a year ago and had no idea I signed a NDA and a no poaching aggreement until after I left and I get the paperwork in the mail. It was very discretely in there and yes I signed it. I should have looked closer.

Even though I felt bad about it, knowing the laws, when I was a manager at a place they would not fire anyone, no matter what, super annoying.
We had a guy, that as the manufacturing engineer I had to track metrics, and this guy was actually costing them money, not making it.
He didn't care about anything and just went way too fast at everything. scraping tons of parts constantly. He would even say so, that he didn't care.
So I worded this verbally, so there wasn't any proof, that
He had a choice, the only thing I could do was fire him legally which is where we were at on that day,
but I gave him the option that we would buy new material, and he come in on his day off to redo the parts,
I explained that, you were already paid to make the parts correctly but YOU chose, not a mistake or a accident every once in a while, neglect!! to not do it.
Now you have the option to make them correctly on your own time, or I let you go today.
He choose to remake them, and truth is, he only did it twice and never again, after literally over 10 years of him doing this.

A lot depends on how something is written. I moved to my new job a little over a year ago and had no idea I signed a NDA and a no poaching aggreement until after I left and I get the paperwork in the mail. It was very discretely in there and yes I signed it. I should have looked closer.
I think Damn near everything a guy signs these days has some BS In It. Look at the things you agree to when you sign an agreement with a phone carrier or when you download an App. Its freakin Insane.

Isn't deducting Cash register shortages from an Employee's wages basically the same thing. That's done all the time.

"Federal law allows employers to charge employees for items they break or for shortages in their cash register drawers provided the affected employee still earns at least the minimum wage"

What's the diff?
That is only valid in certain states. In most states it is illegal to deduct any shortages or breakage from an employees check.

That is only valid in certain states. In most states it is illegal to deduct any shortages or breakage from an employees check.
Not according to the Federal law. But agreed. The States do vary. I think Its been hashed out In this thread pretty well already.

I worked at a car audio shop that had a damage fund, they would deduct $15 per pay check per person, to cover damages to vehicles.
They stipulated it was a bonus, because if the amount of damages was over the fund they would pay the balance.
There was no signed document, it would not have been applicable in that state anyway if I remember correctly.
They did get fined for that once reported.

Correct,
my main point was that the paper that guy posted was exactly that - a consent form that he gave his employees to sign, or leave. where you're getting the idea that i'm a narcissist from - beats me.

my main point was that the paper that guy posted was exactly that - a consent form that he gave his employees to sign, or leave. where you're getting the idea that i'm a narcissist from - beats me.
And that's exactly what It was. But when It comes to the legality of It. The fact I had In there that they would do It at no cost to the employer was probably the kicker Legal wise. I think I could say they would be required to do It at the Federal Minimum wage regardless of there regular hourly pay and that would change things In regards to the legality of It.

There's nothing unlawful about having someone else sign an unenforceable contract.

Enforcing an unenforceable contract, on the other hand, is a different story.

And that's exactly what It was. But when It comes to the legality of It. The fact I had In there that they would do It at no cost to the employer was probably the kicker Legal wise. I think I could say they would be required to do It at the Federal Minimum wage regardless of there regular hourly pay and that would change things In regards to the legality of It.
I can smell the steam that would have been coming through their noses. All legal, we fix shit for next to nothing, haha

There's nothing unlawful about having employees sign an unenforceable contract.

Enforcing an unenforceable contract, on the other hand, is a different story.
Unless the employee turns a copy of that document over to the state or federal agencies,oops.

N0205 M0 ;
N0210 (tighten chuck jaws) ;
N0215 M0 ;
N0220 (Did you tighten the jaws?) ;
N0225 M0 ;
N0230 (My boot = your ass if jaws not tight) ;
N0235 M0 ;

😂
You know the saying, if you make something idiot-proof, the universe will create a bigger idiot?

I've seen it time and time again at all levels of employees. The issue is complacency. They get too comfortable and develop habits to bypass safeguards. Whether it's a low level operator not tightening a chuck, or a high level programmer not checking his code, it happens top to bottom.

You just can't train someone to give a shit, and if the person makes it obvious that he doesn't, it's time for him to move on.

If they are not being paid a living wage with lots of benefits, 401K, 3 weeks' vacation minimum a year, every single holiday paid, minimal overtime or none, paid in full top quality health plan for entire family, then just grow the business until you can attract good people.

Back