What's new
What's new

Employee scraps parts, brake tools and crashes the machine once a week

You know the saying, if you make something idiot-proof, the universe will create a bigger idiot?

I've seen it time and time again at all levels of employees. The issue is complacency. They get too comfortable and develop habits to bypass safeguards. Whether it's a low level operator not tightening a chuck, or a high level programmer not checking his code, it happens top to bottom.

You just can't train someone to give a shit, and if the person makes it obvious that he doesn't, it's time for him to move on.
Idiot-Proof, this has to be one of the best phrases in our industry, When I made injection molds, there was so much time, machining,....put into a injection mold just to try to reduce the idiots crashing it, and no matter how much you do, or how many years of experience to back your decision, they do always make a bigger, better, idiot some how.

In front of me, they do. As soon as I'm not behind, they just think I programmed everything to run by itself and I need them to just get paid at the end of every week.

Same thing, they use it. I teach them to use it when running new program, or one pc work with new program (even with old one, just to check if everything is setup correctly the same way it was last time). But last time he looked at the screen as he stated "automatically" and let the machine smash itself in to the Hastelloy part.
Makes no sense for me...

That what I teach them to do. And they do it, but then in a few days-weeks becoming overconfident and same thing again. Ether during program run they realize it will crash now "probably" and stop it to check, or sometimes it's too late...

They taking notes and even video how I tech them to do things, and still...

I understand I'm doing something wrong sometimes, but I need people to operate the machines because the other way I'd just stick USB in to the control and hit cycle start..
Yes to this, "I'd just stick USB in to the control and hit cycle start", employee problem solved.

You know the saying, if you make something idiot-proof, the universe will create a bigger idiot?

I've seen it time and time again at all levels of employees. The issue is complacency. They get too comfortable and develop habits to bypass safeguards. Whether it's a low level operator not tightening a chuck, or a high level programmer not checking his code, it happens top to bottom.

You just can't train someone to give a shit, and if the person makes it obvious that he doesn't, it's time for him to move on.
I tell our HR person all the time that when it comes to hiring new operators to give someone with good work ethic over someone with experience. I can teach knowledge.

I have trained many people over the past 30 yrs. It is pretty easy to tell the first week if they are going to work out or not.
The trouble we have now is just getting people to show up, they text now days.
Wake up not feeling it and send a text and go back to sleep.
They do ok work while they are here, its hard to fire them if there is no-one else to hire.

If they are not being paid a living wage with lots of benefits, 401K, 3 weeks' vacation minimum a year, every single holiday paid, minimal overtime or none, paid in full top quality health plan for entire family, then just grow the business until you can attract good people.
Do you pay top notch wage with all what you described? Or you getting paid that way?
How can we be compatible to overseas if you can attract good people only if you give them huge wage + crazy overhead expenses + kissing them and no hard work, only kissing.
How do you grow business with bad people if you can not afford good ones?? So if my business yet small, I should hire only those who cant work?
Doesn't make any sense.

If they are not being paid a living wage with lots of benefits, 401K, 3 weeks' vacation minimum a year, every single holiday paid, minimal overtime or none, paid in full top quality health plan for entire family, then just grow the business until you can attract good people.
Well, if this isn't Millennial attitude thinking........... what is?????
Shame this is the mindset today......

The ONLY people getting anywhere the new benefits/holiday etc you describe around here in SoCal ('specially Orange County) are employees at some of the tech startups that are venture capital funded.

Some of the bennies availible at these companies are outrageous, on the other hand, how many of these companies survive past the first or second year? very few. So they have to offer very generous packages to attract people.

Outside of those startup tech companies, and outside SoCal, what you think might be the norm is few and far between.imho

Do you pay top notch wage with all what you described? Or you getting paid that way?
How can we be compatible to overseas if you can attract good people only if you give them huge wage + crazy overhead expenses + kissing them and no hard work, only kissing.
How do you grow business with bad people if you can not afford good ones?? So if my business yet small, I should hire only those who cant work?
Doesn't make any sense.
Blame it to wall street, the idea that companies should make tons of money otherwise no good
creating billioneres out of nothing, too much greed, but put yourself in workers shoes, housing
food, family to take care, is reason they need living wages, I myself work for others 20yrs. before
going in my own, so i know both sides of the coin, workers are not evil bad apples yes, its part
of free society , need to select and train, even bad apples can change. How we going to be compatible with china, in machine shop work never probably, in other segments yes, something
that doesn't require expensive warehouse rent, new machine payments, high metal cost.
Even hard to compete with taiwan, i went in mid 90s, was surprised big foundry with dirt floors
they( make cnc castings ) and build own cnc lathes and mills, and way back in the middle of corn
field was a small foundry casting your bridgeport mill bases and columms so no way we can be
competitive, but we should not write off america, i bet against other societies, be positive and lets
create a better mouse trap then the offshore competition.

[We would take the red star crew to lunch at a local restaurant.

Our scrap/rework problems dropped like a rock. Some employees would go so far as to do rework on their own time in order to get that red star. The cost of the lunch was nothing compared to the savings.

How much did that lunch cost? $20 a person. I'm not working off the clock for $14.95 meal. sorry.
It's a pride thing more than the free lunch. I used to do it for nothing because I was responsible for my own mistakes. I wouldn't dream of making my boss pay for them.

I turned up on time every day for 10 years ....not one day sick .....and when I quit the owners did a huge dummy spit because they had to deduct a liquidated sick pay amount as part of the liabilities at time of sale............Greedy bastards sold out because of a special one time tax law allowing them to pocket up to $10 million tax free from the sale of a business.............this after assuring the workforce that the son was taking over,and the business would not be sold.

It's a pride thing more than the free lunch. I used to do it for nothing because I was responsible for my own mistakes. I wouldn't dream of making my boss pay for them.
So while the owner buys expensive toys and reaps all the benefits, I should pay for a mistake I made on his time? Wow.
I not going there man. Have fun with that.

this kind of attitude will get you far in life...
Yes is has, thank you. I have made him a lot of money over the years. You think I should pull cash out of my pocket to cover honest mistakes we all make?
That attitude seems one sided to me.
I get it, If I don't see things your way, that must be the wrong way.

Last edited:
Yes is has, thank you. I have made him a lot of money over the years. You think I should pull cash out of my pocket to cover honest mistakes we all make?
That attitude seems one sided to me.
I get it, If I don't see things your way, that must be the wrong way.
thats not what i said at all, but hey, whatever makes you feel better man.

I have to say this falls back to YOU. How can you not know who is scraping parts, who is crashing machines. Are you not in charge? Its your shop!!
Indeed, the owner is always the one left holding the bag.

So while the owner buys expensive toys and reaps all the benefits, I should pay for a mistake I made on his time?
I don't think anybody is seriously contemplating making employees pay for broken equipment. The guy who posted that contract earlier was quite clear that he never enforced it and it was done decades ago when he didn't know any better. Further discussion was simply questioning the legality of such a contract.

But you certainly revealed a lot about yourself in your reply. You think the owner buying expensive toys is ANY of your business?

Ok Ill just be oblivious to what's in front of me. It would be nice if he bought the parts we need or tooling or material before buying that last Ferrari he showed off here.

Indeed, the owner is always the one left holding the bag.

I don't think anybody is seriously contemplating making employees pay for broken equipment. The guy who posted that contract earlier was quite clear that he never enforced it and it was done decades ago when he didn't know any better. Further discussion was simply questioning the legality of such a contract.

But you certainly revealed a lot about yourself in your reply. You think the owner buying expensive toys is ANY of your business?
Or maybe that hit to close to home for you🤣

Back