What's new
What's new

End mill holder question

Motorhead99999

Plastic
To start off I’m not a expert machinist yet of any sorts but am learning through trial and error, reading , common sense and of course YouTube

So I only got one 3/8 end mill holder for my Cincinnati #2 mill so I have been making my own on the lathe. My question is im
Not sure what the type of end mill holder I have is actually called. The head of the mill is a 1” hole with two set screws that hold the tool holder in place then it’s a set screw and hole 1/4” 3/8” 1/2” ect that holds the tool in place.
I was trying to find some collet holders but can’t seem to find any that aren’t tapered. I’m not at the shop anymore but will take some pictures of the head when I get back in there tomorrow
Thanks

Put some pics on here.
Several of these members will be able to help.
I'm sure they will know where to get the correct holders, or know of something that will work.

It's hard to make tooling like that and have it run true.

FE51C734-3DA9-4043-B1EB-4B9F0E1057E9.jpeg702A7060-7E2D-472E-A71A-740AA0DDF809.jpeg
Cincinnati number 2. Was told I think on this forum that it was originally a horizontal mill that was turned into a vertical and horizontal mill
7B336695-CEC3-4478-B454-18CDA98DF213.jpeg
1/2” tool holder that came with the machine

10E41D2B-B101-4109-B297-B2A6272F74FB.jpeg
Tool holder I made in the tool holder holder I guess you could call it. Again sorry for the terminology
B6A8B984-150A-4D56-ACA2-2DC87F739C08.jpeg
Tool holder holder off the mill no taper. 1” bore
7E6A02B6-6072-4DA4-93E7-3191213F9B26.jpeg
Tool holder holder from other side no taper 1” bore
41B999B3-F511-4005-B4E6-66066488E4F2.jpegBottom of the head of the mill

View attachment 379014View attachment 379013
Cincinnati number 2. Was told I think on this forum that it was originally a horizontal mill that was turned into a vertical and horizontal mill
View attachment 379009
1/2” tool holder that came with the machine

View attachment 379011
Tool holder I made in the tool holder holder I guess you could call it. Again sorry for the terminology
View attachment 379008
Tool holder holder off the mill no taper. 1” bore
View attachment 379010
Tool holder holder from other side no taper 1” bore
View attachment 379012Bottom of the head of the mill

There are some guys on here with a lot of experience in some of the older equipment.
Hopefully, they'll chime in with some info.

Here are 1" straight shank ER collet chucks like what you said you looked for but could not find. They are available for other ER collet sizes. You will need a collet set and nut wrench once you pick a size that suits you. ER-40 will hold 1" and smaller shank endmills, a good match for your mill.

If you want to make a collet chuck have minimal runout, you could get a flange mount ER chuck and attach it directly to the spindle of your vertical milling head.

Larry

Here are 1" straight shank ER collet chucks like what you said you looked for but could not find. They are available for other ER collet sizes. You will need a collet set and nut wrench once you pick a size that suits you. ER-40 will hold 1" and smaller shank endmills, a good match for your mill.

If you want to make a collet chuck have minimal runout, you could get a flange mount ER chuck and attach it directly to the spindle of your vertical milling head.

Larry
Awesome thank you

I believe Tree or Index will grind your spindle to a different taper for around $200. You can buy a new bridgeport spindle for less then that, made in China. No idea if that will fit your machine or not. Having a draw bar is a good idea but your spindle bearings may be too small to allow a drawbar spindle.
Bill D

I believe Tree or Index will grind your spindle to a different taper for around $200. You can buy a new bridgeport spindle for less then that, made in China. No idea if that will fit your machine or not. Having a draw bar is a good idea but your spindle bearings may be too small to allow a drawbar spindle.
Bill D
The photo of the vertical head spindle bottom shows it is solid and has a flange with four tapped holes and a locating register. There is no taper unless the flange is part of some adapter that mounts inside a hollow spindle. I suspect the vertical head is not original from the mill maker.

Larry

The photo of the vertical head spindle bottom shows it is solid and has a flange with four tapped holes and a locating register. There is no taper unless the flange is part of some adapter that mounts inside a hollow spindle. I suspect the vertical head is not original from the mill maker.

Larry
Everything I can find on the mill is that is was a horizontal mill. There are no markings whatsoever On the vertical head. It runs true and has no slop in it so I’m gonna play with it while I can. I have no money invested in it so I can’t really loose anything if It doesn’t work out

Back