What's new
What's new

End mill recomendations for naval brass

PegroProX440

Hot Rolled
I occasionally machine naval brass and I am never too happy with the finish I get. Also I use dynamic roughing and it chatters a lot. I've played around with different feeds and speeds with no success. I generally use end mills meant for steel.... would aluminum specific tools or something else work better.

These parts are fairly small. My biggest tool is 3/16 4 fluter (tried 6 fluter as well) for roughing. all the way down to .5mm ball. Spindle is HSK E40 30,000 rpm. It is not very rigid when cutting radially, I would expect it to be better being HSK.

Any tooling recommendations would be a big help. Mainly for the roughing portion of it. The contouring seems to go fine.

I had great luck with YG-1 Alu Power endmills. Not huge production, under 100pcs. Finishes were great. Iscar Polished for alu inserts in the facemill too.

We need more information. You're extremely vague in the info you have provided, we aren't mind readers.
There are millions of styles and brands of 4 flute end mills, and there is an endless combination of speeds, feeds, depths of cuts and stepovers that people run them at.

Exactly what 4 flute end mill are you trying, and at what parameters are you running it at?
Naval brass is gravy to machine so there's a red flag.

So what your all saying is go with an aluminum specific end mill? Not the ones I am currently using for steel. I got a bunch of Helical aluminum ones around I will try some of them.

Union tools currently, by the way.

So what your all saying is go with an aluminum specific end mill? Not the ones I am currently using for steel. I got a bunch of Helical aluminum ones around I will try some of them.

1000%. Yes, use non-ferrous specific tools.

I was confused how you were having issues, as this stuff machines like butter. But if you are using tools for hard metals, it probably looks like crap because the edge is not very sharp. We just use our Aluminum tools at the recommended SFM, which is usually about 1/2 the SFM for 6061.

While a big disagree with it actively selling or recommending your own products or what you resell as a solution can get you banned now.
Seems that the rules have changed. Not sure if it for the best of all here.
Bob

If it’s an honest suggestion that the tool works well I don’t mind if he is the seller. Maybe he would be willing to send him a freebee to try out. I haven’t had any issues with my Mari stuff.

If it’s an honest suggestion that the tool works well I don’t mind if he is the seller. Maybe he would be willing to send him a freebee to try out. I haven’t had any issues with my Mari stuff.
I have absolutely 100 percent no problem with Frank or others putting out advice or solutions that they may sell.
In fact I think it a good thing
When exkenna first came around I wondered if sort of crossing the line.
Both these members seem helpful to everything here.

EVERYONE WANTS A FREEBIE. How many free parts can one do in a special?
My rule is it runs or do not pay for it. Have eaten some or many.
If no workie maybe that my bad. It is my job see things and make what is needed.
Bob

I have absolutely 100 percent no problem with Frank or others putting out advice or solutions that they may sell.
In fact I think it a good thing
When exkenna first came around I wondered if sort of crossing the line.
Both these members seem helpful to everything here.

EVERYONE WANTS A FREEBIE. How many free parts can one do in a special?
My rule is it runs or do not pay for it. Have eaten some or many. If no workie maybe that my bad.
Bob

I have a tooling guy stop by from time to time. If I am not too busy be pulls outs a tool he believes will benefit me. We take some test cuts and asks if I want to buy it. If I do he leaves it with me, if not he takes it back. Honest business owners are not looking for handouts. But for a 3/16 endmill the shipping is probably more expensive.

I tried an endmill out from a guy would said it does this and that. Tried it out and said we were using something that worked best for us. “Well it’s because you are using hydraulic and heat shrink holders and not side lock” blah blah. Well one thing is for sure, it was double the price. I have seen others talk about that brand and have been silent even though I did not have success with my application.

Back