What's new
What's new

Entry Level CNC Lathe with Bar feeder.

Lplates

Plastic
Hey guys,
hoping to get some Sub 30k suggestions on a CNC lathe with bar feed.
Something has come up that would be awesome, only small parts, mostly copper and brass, don't need huge HP, smaller footprint preffered.
Any thoughts where I should start? Max diameter would be 0.4".
Thanks guys.

That's the other question, do you need a bar feeder for some reason or can you pull?

Secret with a barfeeder and limited space is to put the feeder out through the shed wall and a put a cover over it.....I made my cover from 44gal oil drums cut lengthways and welded end to end.....You load the feeder from inside the shed ,at least thats what mine does ,it slides to the the side on the mounting nearest the lathe,after you wind up the weight.....mine had heavy nylon mono on the winder,but I replaced it with stainless wire rope of the type handrails are made from.....Free from a dumpster.......This is a 6m barfeeder,there is a short bar type that uses a manual feed from the lathe ........probably less suited to CNC.............if you use bar thru a cutoff saw,use the same idea,steel outside ,saw inside.

Have you worked out what the max number of tools you'll need setup at any one time would be? For such small diameter parts it sounds like a small gang tool lathe with a bar puller would be the thing to look at providing you don't need loads of tools.

The other big question is do you want to buy new or used? With a 30k budget (assuming USD) it's going to have to be used but I'd bet you could get a small used gang tool lathe and have half that money left over.

Number of tools I need is only 3, drill, turn a radius and part. Capability of 4 to 6 would be all I need.
I'd love 1 live tool on there though. Pretty basic parts.
I kinda do need a bar feed because the parts are only 1/2 inch long and I'd be doing as many as the machine could allow. Cheaper is good Rob :D I can spend more on tooling.

For small space and less money, pull the bar rather than feeding.

You can also pull with a sub, I personally wouldn't consider a lathe without a subspindle because it is so much nicer to finish the back side, rather than having the parted face.

About 22 years ago I paid 5k for a 1981 if I recall correctly, Miyano BNC 34 with a broken bar feeder. It paid for itself in a few weeks making parts like you describe and ran another 15 years before I sold it for 7500 and bought a new machine.
Rather than try to fix the bar feeder I used pullers.

For small space and less money, pull the bar rather than feeding.

You can also pull with a sub, I personally wouldn't consider a lathe without a subspindle because it is so much nicer to finish the back side, rather than having the parted face.
Now that's a great Idea I should have thought of! Looking into it.

Sub $30k you're going to be buy used.
It's not going to be that new, either.
None of this is a problem as older machines can make good parts and good profits for minimal investment.
For basic 2 axis there are plenty of choices and bar feeders are also available.
My advice, is stick with brand name machines/controls that are still in production unless you like tinkering projects that will take a lot of time and effort to get rolling.

If I was you I'd be looking at a small 5C platten/gang lathe.
Simple fast and no turret to worry about.
My first cnc lathe was a 1982 Hardinge CHNC that fit that description, except it had a turret. And that was what gave us trouble.

That said, it had a few days where it paid for itself, so I can't complain. If the OP could find a gang tool version it might be a good option.

Last edited:

Back