What's new
What's new

Epoxy Spray Paint in a Can

Froneck

Titanium
I've use Epoxy paint that required to be mixed then I put it in paint spray gun.
I have a few small items I want to paint with epoxy paint. Is it available in a spray can, something like a primer and paint so as to mix after spraying or possibly something similar?

I thought I saw Eastwood had something a while back. I can't recall if it were full blown 2part epoxy but may want to check out their site. I know they have higher end stuff than your typical Krylon in a spray can.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

An epoxide is a specific chemical formulation.
I believe people have come to associate epoxy
as being synonymous with a 2 part catalyst
reaction. I am not sure that is the case.
People also think an epoxy is a generic word
for a 2 part adhesive. I assure you, there
are lots of chemical formulas for 2 part
adhesives. Maybe what you seek is not an
epoxy primer.

-Doozer

Anecdotal evidence that two-part spray cans exist - met a ducati driver at the Mills Mansion car show who had done his duc single paint by himself, and related that type of two part spray can to me. Basically you shocked the can to fracture the container of the catalyst, shake, and spray. Appx one hour pot life.

He said any large paint shop will know about this. Start calling around.

I checked Eastwood, they have a 2 part Epoxy clear spray. Button on bottom of can releases the 2nd part. They don't mention if it's a one time release so what's not used will harden in the can. I read all the questions and answers but no one asked how long it will work after being mixed. They do have a satin black epoxy, I see something similar to the button used to release activator in clear mentioned above but no photo to show it's use. It might be the same as the clear, a one time use.
Ebay has Epoxy Enamel but in Australia, Few cents short of $50 shipping.
I noticed on my Hendey lathe the original paint (never repainted by anyone) was worn of in a pattern I can cover with my hand in locations the operator will put their hand. I completely painted a P&W lathe and noticed the paint wearing off where I tend to rest my hand that is one of he same locations on the Hendey. I'm simply trying to find a paint I can't rub off with my hand. P&W was painted about 4 years ago.

I'm not sure of your reason for not wanting to shoot from a gun so my suggest might not make any sense for you. You can buy SPI Epoxy primer (normal 2 part epoxy primer with UV protection), mix that and put it in a liquid to aerosol spray bottle and use it that way. You'll need to clean the spray bottle out well afterwards. Preval makes a spray bottle. SPI Epoxy primer is available in black, white, gray and red oxide. I mention SPI Epoxy primer just because I've used it a lot and have had great results. Any two part epoxy paint should work.

I checked Eastwood, they have a 2 part Epoxy clear spray. Button on bottom of can releases the 2nd part. They don't mention if it's a one time release so what's not used will harden in the can. I read all the questions and answers but no one asked how long it will work after being mixed. They do have a satin black epoxy, I see something similar to the button used to release activator in clear mentioned above but no photo to show it's use. It might be the same as the clear, a one time use.

Yes, these cans are one time use so you must use it all or what is left in the can will harden. To slow down the hardening process you can put the can in a freezer. This might give you an additional 24 hrs, just get the can back to room temp before re spraying with it.

There are also one-part epoxy paints. They are "partly cured" two part, with the partly cured stuff in very small droplets dispersed in the carrier.

When sprayed, the droplets come together and finish curing as the carrier evaporates. I've used them, and they actually work rather well. Probably not up to a two part mix, but they stand up to wear.

Moisture cured urethane (like POR15 and others)
might be what some manufactures call Epoxy in
a Spray Can. The reaction component is the
humidity in the air. I for one would like to
know if these moisture-cured-urethanes exist
in spray can form, because when you crack the
lid on the paint can, it begins the cure process.
If you don't use the whole paint can, the whole
thing is hard as a rock in 6 months, maybe less.
But POR15 (or the like) in a can would be great
for shelf life and application. But like the
DuPont IMRON, take extreme car not to breathe.
Another word for it is isocyanate paint I believe.
Bad bad for your lungs.

--Doozer

Finishmaster stores (at least in California) will take almost any 2-part paint they sell and make it into a spray can for you. For them, you have to buy the paint and then they have an additional charge to turn it into a can. Cans are one-time-use (once you open the can, it mixes the two parts of paint, so you have 24-48h to use it all or it will harden/go bad). This gies you enough time to get a few coats if you want.

I have also used 2-part epoxy primer in a can (bought the can on Amazon for about $20). This was also one-time-use for the same reason (i.e. get a few coats in over the course of a day, but it's hard after a day or two). Found out about it on some car restoration forums, and I will say that that stuff worked great (used it under some Imron).

Back