What's new
What's new

equipment primer and enamel

1dogandnoexes

Aluminum
I've just come across another piece of equipment that's going to go into my shop. I'd like to blast the parts, prime it and paint it. I've found Rustoleum in a rattle can to have no durability at all so I'd like an alternative. I have neighbors close by on three sides and a tenant above my shop so I can't use anything high VOC or otherwise toxic. Can someone suggest a product that I can thin and SPRAY outside with a standard siphon spray gun and then bring inside after it flashes off. Brushing on is acceptable but a sprayable product is preferred. I'd also like to have the color mixed. Please provide a manufacturer and product name if you can.

Thanks in advance

Rustoleum oil based paint, you can spray it, or brush paint it. Either way I like to add some Penetrol to it, it slows drying a tad and gives it time to level out for a glass smooth finish. This time of year you may need some heat lamps to get it to dry, depends on your location, which you did not include in your profile info.

Not sure if there is much color selection, all I see is black, white, grey and red, maybe white can be custom tinted?

Check out the local Sherwin Williams automotive paint store- not the house paint one. They have a 2 part urethane enamel called Dimension. A monkey could spray it with an HPLV or siphon gun and it looks great. Nice gloss, tough and its oil and coolant proof. Not super cheap like the HD stuff, but you will be happy.

They now have low VOC formulas.

My Clausing 8520 resto if interested: https://www.intlwaters.com/media/albums/clausing-8520-restoration.323/page-5
Your mill looks great!

Did you have them mix the color for you to match a sample? Which product did you use?

TX

Your mill looks great!

Did you have them mix the color for you to match a sample? Which product did you use?

TX

Thanks, a little OCD but what the hell.
Yup, had them match the original color, I used the EP-HiBuild primer and EX2C topcoat.
Been using this stuff for 30 years on machines, trailers, concrete floors and R/C boats. It's like Imron but much cheaper.
Nothing, and I mean nothing, touches it.

Thanks, a little OCD but what the hell.
Yup, had them match the original color, I used the EP-HiBuild primer and EX2C topcoat.
Been using this stuff for 30 years on machines, trailers, concrete floors and R/C boats. It's like Imron but much cheaper.
Nothing, and I mean nothing, touches it.

Imron was the best you could get but the toxicity was like nothing else...I am doing a Warner and Swasey no.3 right now that was in the Navy for 40 yrs. and had at least 8 different paint jobs all on top of the other. the first few were definitely lead based.. I love using the rattle rustoleum for going part by part to keep the metal from starting to rust. i did what they say not t o d o and stripped it down to the frame. emptied every gearbox, apron, everything.. most of my bearings were so over packed the wouldnt roll. so decided gonna do a custom.. kinda sick of penitentiary gray ..right now have a solid rust rattle base that will be sprayed over with 2 part Metalic Gold then 2 part Candy Apple Red

Did you purchase your products in person or on line?

I have a dealer here in the Toronto area, here's others:

I have neighbors close by on three sides and a tenant above my shop so I can't use anything high VOC or otherwise toxic. Can someone suggest a product that I can thin and SPRAY outside with a standard siphon spray gun and then bring inside after it flashes off. Brushing on is acceptable but a sprayable product is preferred. I'd also like to have the color mixed. Please provide a manufacturer and product name if you can.
You can roll or brush two-part paint with no worry about getting poisoned.
The week it takes to cure (faster with lights or higher temp) is worth it.

I love using the rattle rustoleum for going part by part to keep the metal from starting to rust.
If you are in LV why are you having problems with parts rusting? Or is this just an old habit from another location? I love the fact that nothing rusts anymore since moving out west. From my experience the only rattle can products that hold up to shop usage are Appliance Epoxy and the Hammer finish paints.

from Boston, old habits die hard. and rustoleum makes that hammared kind its part of their Krylon line that is primer and paint in one.. but I compleatly tore dow My Warner & Swasey no.3 M-1200 and had to disassemble all the gearboxs to clean, paint, and rebuild or replace all the bearings...matter of fact 3 months ago and i just put the Lathe back on the pan last night

Rustoleum oil based paint, you can spray it, or brush paint it. Either way I like to add some Penetrol to it, it slows drying a tad and gives it time to level out for a glass smooth finish. This time of year you may need some heat lamps to get it to dry, depends on your location, which you did not include in your profile info.

Not sure if there is much color selection, all I see is black, white, grey and red, maybe white can be custom tinted?
Rustoleum has a very good paint and primer in 1 for direct to metal with a lot of colors to choose from..best of all is if you are slow like me and do it chunk by chunk you can either do a top coat or 2 at the end to make sure its all the same shade... or use it as a primer..scuff it all up and lay down something better. just depends on what you want to do

Back